PDA

View Full Version : Knitting the wrong way? (updated: there is a difference!)

Aquaria
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
I was watching Amy's videos today and I found out that I might have been knitting the wrong way :shrug:

This is how Amy knits:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/123.jpg

But I knit this way:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/456.jpg

I don't know if it's gonna be a big deal :thinking: All my knitting look fine though :shrug:

GrandmaLori
03-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I can't comment on the knitting, but your illustrations are really beautiful. DId you draw them?

Aquaria
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I can't comment on the knitting, but your illustrations are really beautiful. DId you draw them?

Yes, I did :teehee: Those are my drawings. :rofl:

Drawing is another one of my hobbies you know :wink:

EssenceRose
03-22-2007, 01:05 AM
How silly I must look!!! :roflhard: I'm sitting here "mock" knitting, trying to remember which direction I knit in... Ummm.. I think I do "under then over" too.. I think! Yeah, I'm pretty sure... but I can't see how it would make the knitting look 'wrong' doing it the other way?

redwitch
03-22-2007, 01:31 AM
It looks like you may be knitting combined - are your stitches twisted on the next row? It looks like they are going on twisted from your illustration. This shouldn't cause a problem as long as you remember that
your stitches are twisted and may need to be reoriented for some things - like a k2tog. See the videos and Annie Modesitt's site for more info on knitting combined.

Sarah

Aquaria
03-22-2007, 01:52 AM
It looks like you may be knitting combined - are your stitches twisted on the next row? It looks like they are going on twisted from your illustration. This shouldn't cause a problem as long as you remember that
your stitches are twisted and may need to be reoriented for some things - like a k2tog. See the videos and Annie Modesitt's site for more info on knitting combined.

Sarah

hmm... I've checked the combined knitting on her site but I don't think that's what I'm doing :? And by the way I forgot to add that I'm an English knitter, so that's why I'm talking about throwing the yarn clockwise or counter clockwise.

Jessica Cobb
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I used to knit this way! My best friend taught me to knit a couple years ago. And I just made a scarf or two and never really did anything else. She said she saw it on some website and learned the basic knit stitch, and that is the way she taught me. Then I really wanted to get serious about knitting so I found this wonderful website and saw the way Amy was knitting. I thought maybe she just knit differently, but then I saw more and more people knit the "right" way, so I broke myself of my old knitting habit and started knitting by going under/over instead of over/under. I don't think its a big deal either, but I think if you did something really advanced it may make your stitches a little funky. I like the right way much better anyway. :teehee:

nonny2t
03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I knit over under, never have twisted stitches and don't have any trouble with k2 tog or anything. Now, I am left handed and knit left handed so I don't know if that would make the difference. All I know is my stuff comes out fine!

Yarnlady
03-22-2007, 09:03 AM
It's not the wrong way or right way. It's a different way. :eyebrow: If the finished product comes out looking like you want it to, ya musta done somethin' right! :happydance:

Lieke
03-22-2007, 09:10 AM
It's not the wrong way or right way. It's a different way. :eyebrow: If the finished product comes out looking like you want it to, ya musta done somethin' right! :happydance:

This is something I totally agree with :)

suzeeq
03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
hmm... I've checked the combined knitting on her site but I don't think that's what I'm doing :? And by the way I forgot to add that I'm an English knitter, so that's why I'm talking about throwing the yarn clockwise or counter clockwise.

No it's not combined, that twists the stitches when you purl. You're twisting the stitches as you knit, although if you insert your needle through the back leg on the next row, it would come out untwisted. It's interesting, I just tried it to see what happens and realized over/under is how one normally purls. If your stitches are untwisted or you like how they look, it's okay.

sue

Stiney
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I used to do this, too. I also purled into the backloop, so none of my stitches were twisted. I've since fixed this, thanks to KellyK and Amy. :notworthy:

dlc
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM

This is something I totally agree with :)

Me too

Arielluria
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm glad I found this thread..........great drawing, btw! ;)

I knit continental (yarn on the left hand) and I've been knitting the under to over (drawing #1) way since the beginning, I just started one project (Sun Ray Shawl (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26093&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sun+ray+shawl)) and had to go with the over to under (#2) and what I found was that both methods look exactly the same, but the over to under doesn't curl!

Reason: The shawl starts with 9 rows of 3 stitches (garter stitch) and it was rolling one full revolution with each row! So just for grins I frogged and restarted doing over to under method and sure enough, it's makes the knit stitch tighter which seems to be what keeps it from curling.

I hope that all makes sense. :eyebrow:

redwitch
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I know Annie, who takes credit for describing Combined, defines it as purling with the wool differently, knitting normally... but in my opinion someone who wraps the wool differently fits the definition if that's a general functional definition. Are you sure this doesn't give you twisted stitches? Can you post a photo of both needles halfway through a knit row? I don't see how you could do this without it resulting in twisted stitches, am I missing something?

Re. the person who finds wrapping in this direction eliminates rolling... is it possible that you are neglecting to correct the stitches, knitting the right leg normally, thereby twisting them, and getting a tighter fabric as a result?

Sarah

Arielluria
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
If you think of the knit stitch backwards, the purl is an over to under, so the exact opposite (knit) would also be over to under.

I don't know if that helps. Maybe someone can do a swatch and see, I really don't see a difference in the stitches at all, except that the under to over results in a loser stitch and rolling.

Braden
03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I think if you get the right knitted fabric, than you can knit any way you want to.

Aquaria
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
:zombie: I think I'll have to try knitting both ways again then, just to see the difference. I think I'll be posting photos.

Aquaria
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Okay, so after I did my swatch, my conclusion is that it's the same both ways! :) (updated: only the same on flat knitting)

Here are the pictures:

Aquaria
03-23-2007, 02:31 AM
But.... I've been digging through my old projects and had another discovery :wink:

The two ways are going to be different when you knit in the round(not gonna be different on flat knitting though). When you knit over then under, your stitches do apppear to be twisted.

Here are the pictures:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/DSCN0410.jpgunstretched

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/DSCN0399.jpgstretched

And If you knit under then over, your stitches are normal.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/DSCN0408.jpgunstretched

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s315/Aquaria_starfish/DSCN0403.jpgstretched

Notice the difference? :D

redwitch
03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Yes - is it possible that flat, you correct the twisted knits when you purl, but in the round, you never purl, and just knit the stitches, keeping them twisted and creating new ones? Because I really don't see how you could wrap the way you have been without creating twisted stitches.

Decide whether to fix your wrapping based on how much you prefer or dislike your work twisted, and how much you dislike knitting the usual way. The only thing I can think of besides slight difference in the appearance of your stitches is that twisted stitches are slightly tighter/denser and ribbing is apparently less stretchy. Also, when you come to a stitch like ssp or k2tog, you'll need to think about what to do to get your stitches into the orientation achieved by the same stitch when knitting normally. Sara at let me explaiKnit has several extensive posts covering twisted stitches. A lot of discussions of Combined knitting will apply to you.

Sarah

Arielluria
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
how much you dislike knitting the usual way.I'm a relatively new knitter........so what's the "right" way? (Is it over to under or under to over?)

Aquaria
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
how much you dislike knitting the usual way.I'm a relatively new knitter........so what's the "right" way? (Is it over to under or under to over?)

I suppose the correct way would be under to over. Over to under would make twisted stitches :wink:

ps. now I've got a bad habit to fix!

suzeeq
03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I suppose the correct way would be under to over. Over to under would make twisted stitches :wink:

However, over/under is how you purl stitches. You just have to learn to do them differently depending on the stitch.

sue

Arielluria
03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Exactly, the over to under is the exact opposite of purls............so I would think THAT would be the correct way, but I do prefer the under to over since it leaves more give.

My new practice will be to over to under the first and last stitches in a row, that way at least perhaps it won't curl on me. I hate it when it does that! The only other option I know to keep that from happening is to garter stitch the beginning and end of the row..........I hope that's right.........I keep getting garter & stockinette mixed up............what I mean is to knit the first and last few stitches of every row.

I did this on my first scarf, my first full FO, just for grins, since I didn't know what else to do, and I loved how it didn't curl...........and THAT'S how I got to love knitting.

I think this discussion might cover that for anyone interested: FAQ....Is your stockinette curling? Here's the solution! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4785&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=curling&start=0)