PDA

View Full Version : Sweaters!

jess_hawk
03-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Just started a new sweater while I'm waiting for money to buy another couple skeins of merino to finish the last one. The first one is far too short and wide, but will probably make a really comfy big sweater in the end. I'll post pics of it tomorrow if I get a chance.

The new one is being done in the yarn Lush by Classic Elite Yarns. Its going much faster than the last one... I recalculated how many stitches to use so it should fit better too. Lush is 50% angora rabbbit and 50% wool. It's lovely stuff. I'm making it cream and light blue/green. I hope I have enough, since I got it on clearance and it was marked DISCONTINUED. The first skein I rolled up was in three pieces, but not knotted so it should be OK. Most of the skeins were balled at the store, and I don't remember seeing any of them being in multiple pieces.

I'm knitting from a pattern for a top down sweater... its very easy and quick. I would post the pattern but IDK about the copyright. Its from a pattern a day knitting calendar.
Anyway, thats my current project list!!

jess_hawk
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Finally got a picture of my angora sweater thus far. The fairisle design is from http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=97&d_id=24&lang=en . A while ago someone else knitted this sweater and I loved the design in general, but the style isn't something I would wear. I have a pattern for a top down sweater and I've added in the design from the bottom of that sweater. I hope it turns out well!

jess_hawk
03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Finally got a picture of my angora sweater thus far. The fairisle design is from http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=97&d_id=24&lang=en . A while ago someone else knitted this sweater and I loved the design in general, but the style isn't something I would wear. I have a pattern for a top down sweater and I've added in the design from the bottom of that sweater. I hope it turns out well!

sara_jayne
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Wow! It looks fabulous and SOOOOOOO soft!!!

mwedzi
03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Looks very nice, so soft and subtle. i'm the one who made the sweater in the original design. i've been looking at that Lush, it's on clearance at a couple of places, very nice looking stuff.

jess_hawk
03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah this stuff is LOVELY to knit with, its SO SOFT. I'm going to run out tho :( I hope I can find more. I also got one skein of Wings (alpaca, silk, and wool, also heavenly) from the same company, also clearance, and I'm hoping I have enough for a hat for this summer (I'm going to Alaska, before you wonder why I need a warm hat for the summer). I would have liked to knit in a design to go with my sweater on it, but if I don't have any Lush left, I won't be able to no matter how much I wish. :) I'll figure something out, though.

mwedzi - sorry I couldn't remember who made that sweater! I admired it very much.

Godiva337
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
:muah: :cheering: That looks great so far!!! It is so beautiful and soft.. I can't wait for the fo pics!! :notworthy:

SandraEllen
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
so pretty and so touchable...
can't wait to see the FO!

KathyinCali
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I love the soft colors :)

jess_hawk
04-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Figured I'd post a picture of "The world's ugliest sweater" -- its about six inches too short on the waist (and I'm a short girl) -- about three inches short on the arms (and I have short arms) -- and about a foot too wide in the body (and I'm certainly not skinny). However, it IS warm, so I guess I'll probably be able to find a function for it. :)

jess_hawk
04-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Hmmm for some reason my pictures won't attatch... lets try again.

SandraEllen
04-10-2007, 07:14 AM
That's a bummer...

I hate it when stuff doesn't fit.

Abbily
04-10-2007, 09:20 AM
That's a gorgeous sweater, I love the color! Maybe you could add some more ribbing to the bottom and sleeves? Or a pretty border, or something? Would you mind sharing the pattern?

dewdrops
04-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Great ! :cheering:

jess_hawk
04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
lol... I could add ribbing or some such, but I would have to add it to the sleeves, neckline, and bottom of the sweater, so I'm just calling it finished as is. Its a very basic top down sweater... I'm pretty sure the pattern is copyrighted but since I'm using the same concept with my own numbers on the other one, I'll explain the concept. you cast on (In the round) the number of stitches you want for the neck on a needle size about 2 smaller than your body needles. Do a rib (I used k1 p1 but any rib would work) for about an inch (if you like a high neck, do more), then place 4 stitchmarkers to seperate out "sleeve" stitches from "body" stitches. I used 80 stitches, and placed stitchmarkers as follows: place marker, k10, place marker, k30, place marker, k10, place marker, k30. This is the absolute bare minimum ratio, as far as I can tell so far (that sweater is unfinished) - using more body stitches and less sleeve stitches would work better. Every other row, you want to increase before and after each marker... I prefer leaving more than one stitch between the increases, but as longas you are consistant it looks good. Whatever increase you like. When you get the shoulders long enough that the rows of increases touch underneath the armpits, place all the sleeve stitches on a holder, and CO 8 more stitches. Knit to the other sleeve and repeat. Knit around and around and around until you have a sweater of the correct length. You can increase or decrease for a more fitted appearance - add ribbing at the bottom if you want, I didn't and amazingly my bottom curled up! bind off and go pick up the stitches for a sleeve. Also, pick up eight to ten stitches under the arms. Knit around and decrease at regular intervals to get down to the correct size for wrists at the correct length. do ribbing, BO, and repeat with the other sleeve.

Oh, and the yarn I used is Paton's Classic merino wool in denim something or other (sorry, threw out the label cause my boss has the number written down in case I need more).

Abbily
04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Wow, thanks! :)

jess_hawk
04-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Update on my other sweater: I'm working my way down the "aqua foam" portion. Figured out I'm going to be no less than three skeins short (pitfall of making a sweater that you don't know how much yarn you'll need), and thats if I'm lucky. I called the store where I got the yarn originally and they have ONE skein of aqua foam left - and they don't carry it anymore. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. Fortunately, I found a store about an hour away that says they can get me some more. Wonder if I can get my friend Justin to pick some up for me (he goes to school there). Somehow, I have a feeling he'll tell me to get it myself.

OK on to the pictures. The first one is the sweater as it is now- I'm working on the sleeves as I go so that I make sure both sleeves have color down to the same point as each other and the body, so you can see I'm doing the second sleeve at the moment. Also included... all the yarn I have left and just for fun, a picture of the "pink icing" yarn I bought to do a hat for a chemo patient (friend of my roommate) - got two skeins and used just less than one. The girl loves the hat. I don't know what I'll do with the leftover skein. and, the grey "Dove" alpaca-silk-wool blend I bought to do a hat for myself.

Abbily
04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Good luck getting the yarn!

AnotherBecca
04-14-2007, 06:06 AM
The first sweater is absolutely dreamy!
I can totally sympathize with you on a sweater that just doesn't fit properly!

momwolf
04-14-2007, 03:59 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/momwolf53/worship.gif THAT IS GORGOUS

jess_hawk
04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Well I got my ball of seafoam this weekend from the store in my hometown; thought I found a ball of white, but I got it back to the dorm and its actually "Natural" - close, but no cigar. Darn. But, it was 50% off so I can use it in my hat or something. :)

jess_hawk
04-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I got 4 balls of white ordered today from someplace in Chicago.

If anyone is ever in Davenport, Iowa, stop by the Yarn Shoppe. Spend lots of money. A million points to Laurel for helping me out - she spent probably an hour helping me, most of which was spent searching online and making phone calls, trying to find me some Lush, since they don't carry Classic Elite yarns. Another million points for being friendly about it. And an extra million for good measure, just to express how much I appreciated the help I got today. She also helped me with some yarn for my next sweater, which will be either cotton or cotton blend.

By the way, thanks for all the compliments everyone!

jess_hawk
04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Another update on my sweater!!! I'm almost finished with the green/blue. I'm working the bottom fair isle on the body section... then I'll do the longer of the sleeves, so that I can bring the shorter one up to the right length, and then do the shorter sleeve. Its all downhill from here!

Check it out:

jeanius80
04-23-2007, 11:17 PM
oh! that is so beautiful... i hope you have enough yarn!!!! :pray:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
gorgeous!!! I love the fuzzy-ness.

Sorry the other one didn't fit :pout: Looks great though!!!

How close are you to Davenport? I live in Dixon IL. Illinoisians and Iowasins (?) often cross borders to visit each other!!!

jess_hawk
04-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Iowasins? lol, Iowans. How close I am to D-port depends on the day, I go to school here, but its not my hometown.
I'm glad you like the sweater. Its so lovely and soft! :) More pics to come as I get more done on it... I should definitely have enough yarn to finish now (well, I pick up the last yarn tomorrow, but its been delivered and I have the money with me) and it is making me so incredibly happy :). :cheering: I had to frog a row just now (skipped a stitch of green and messed up my pattern, right in the middle of the front so I couldn't even fudge it) so that irritated me a bit, but I'm caught up and its looking lovely again.Yay!

Abbily
04-24-2007, 09:55 AM
That is absolutely breathtaking!! Great job!

jess_hawk
04-26-2007, 01:39 AM
So I'm down to the last bits of my original yarn and it is VERY obvious exactly how short I would have been without the four lovely new balls sitting in a bag beside my desk. I have the seafoam finished on the body and one arm; and a few inches of white down below that each place... maybe half the arm is finished, maybe a tiny bit more. I'm going to finish this arm before doing arm #2. I have the remains of the ball of seafoam and I am confident that I can finish up the seafoam on the other arm, and I have enough white on this last ball of the original white to get less than halfway down the total arm if I cut it off here and used it up doing the other arm. Yes, I could have been in trouble.

Pics tomorrow I think.

I'm so glad everyone likes it. One of the other customers at my lys, as I laid it out on the table and said I'd brought it to show off, "oh, wow, she has angora... what IS that!?" I am being encouraged to take it to Alaska with me in case I happen to meet one of the men who apparently are prevalent in Alaska - everyone tells me the ratio is favorable - I will have something both nice and warm to wear if I should have a reason to do so. :eyebrow:

Susan P.
04-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi big boy, want to come pet my angora?

Now THAT's a line :eyebrow:

jess_hawk
04-26-2007, 12:13 PM
**taps guy on head** excuse me, um... yeah... please remember that you're out with me, not just my sweater... you can stop petting it while we eat. please. and in the future, please refrain from trying to make out with my clothing.

Lol. OK well as promised, here's pictures for the day. Full sweater and my 4 lovely white balls; and a detail pic of the arm.

jeanius80
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
:cheering: yay! so pretty!

you will have to post a pic of it on when its all done ...
it will be hard for the boys to not want to feel up your soft sweater :roflhard:

psammeadred
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Oooohh, pretty...great job!

jess_hawk
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM
New pictures will be posted tomorrow I'm thinking but I wanted to give an update. The new yarn is a different dye lot than the other and its NOTICABLE if you put them next to each other so I finished the left sleeve in the old stuff and started with the new stuff on the right sleeve after the Fair Isle part. Finished that sleeve and frogged back to the Fair Isle on the body part. The good news - I tried it on and I'll have enough yarn with just the new stuff to finish up, plus I should have enough of both white and seafoam to do a head kerchief and/or hat to go with it :)

The sleeves are really wide but I like wide sleeves anyway (I truly get claustrophobic if I wear tight long sleeves, am I wierd or what?) so I'm not worried about it. Its looking good!

jess_hawk
05-03-2007, 02:36 AM
YAY I finished it! If I were to use the same pattern again, I would use a shorter band of seafoam. BUT it fits and it looks really cute. Sorry no pics of me modeling at the moment, but here's the finished product!

Nobones
05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
That is just... Words fail me, stunning, and it looks so sort. You must be really chuffed with yourself. How long did it take altogher?

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Abbily
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh, my, that is just simply STUNNING. You did such a wonderful job, and it is so beautiful!!!

jess_hawk
05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you both.

I started it a couple of months ago, honestly I don't know when it was or how many hours went into it. Its been a lot of work but its lovely yarn and I rarely have many things OTN so I've been able to focus on it. (I have a hat for my best friend also OTN that I need to finish by Wednesday, and thats really all I've had OTN that I've been seriously working on.)

knitwit88
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Fuzzy! :hug: