PDA

View Full Version : What to do with needles?

humblestumble
03-23-2007, 01:50 AM
That don't have a match or are missing one (like DPN)? I have several from that gifted box of needles that I have. I haven't a clue what to do with them.

Jan in CA
03-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Too bad Carol doesn't have her old needle website anymore. Maybe there is another one for orphaned needles... :thinking:

redwitch
03-23-2007, 02:15 AM
I keep them in case I ever lose one or more from a set and need to replace. I have some other older funny-looking ones - coloured metallic, unusual plastic, tortoiseshell - in an old biccie tin, purely for decoration, and I don't care if they're worn, scratched, and bent. Some of my plastic pairs are really two oddballs.

Apparently you can use them to fix motorboat motors or something...

Actually I have used mine for blocking: the pattern called for some mid-forearm-length mitts to be blocked to a certain width - instead of a million pins, I put 2 knitting needles inside each glove at the two edges, used pins on the inside side to hold them apart. Often I have needed some long and sharp but non-specific tool where a knitting needle was perfect.

Have you ever dropped something metal between two edges too narrow for a hand to reach in? Depending on what a needle is made of, you may be able to magnetize it by stroking it with a magnet and then whacking it with something like a ruler, repeat multiple times... then you can put it into the crevice and pull out what you dropped, if it's metal! Cool ay?

Seriously, I buy all my DPNs at secondhand shops, and think I have several sets of three DPNs in at least two sizes. Sometimes they are sold singly, I gauge them at home and just add them to the right group.

Keep them somewhere you can see them - they'll come in handy for something one day, and looking at them may give you an idea. Or you can always donate them to a secondhand shop, where they will hopefully meet up with another single needle of the same size. Cue music and wind... 'you complete me... where have you been all my life?'

Sarah

Stiney
03-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I have two mismatched straights, which are the only straights I have. I save them for 3 Needle Bind offs. :teehee:

PurlyGyrl
03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
You can also use the stray dpns as cable needles especially if they are bamboo (stays in the yarn a little better than metal dpns).

humblestumble
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the responses. My needles are metal and two are acrylic or something. I am just weird about having something that should match and isn't, or if I have a set of anything and I lose one. In this case, I was gifted a box and got them with those missing (and my boyfriend broke some - he likes to drum with my needles, ugh)

I'm thinking of keeping the DPNs since only one is missing, but the other 4 I might just throw out. They are size 1 and 2 (metal). The other ones are 9 and 10 or 10 1/2 US I think. So I don't think they will do me any good. I love knitting with smaller needles, but these are very long straights without the match. And I don't know of a second hand knit store or anything like that. I guess I'll through them out, unless I find someone who wants them. :shrug: