PDA

View Full Version : Hancock Fabricks

letah75
03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi all,
I know that some people here sew as well as knit, so I thought I'd post this. Quite a few of the Hancock Fabric stores are going out of business. The company had to file Chapter 11, so fabric is on big sale.

Also, the one here where I live has yarn. I spent $112 but got a ton of yarn!!! I'll have to get a pic. But I got 10 skeins of Lion Brand casmere, about 5 skeins of Cotton, and some sock yarn, oh, and some fabric.

aineepooh1
03-25-2007, 11:06 PM
OH BUMMER~!! I don't sew but I know a couple of people who do and I will have to pass this information on to them~!! :pout:

suzeeq
03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Mine isn't closing - they've got a Help Wanted sign in the window (so do almost all the businesses in town!). I went ahead and got some WoolEase for a sweater just because. Well, because it was 25% off this weekend!

sue

Michele
03-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Ours is closing and I got Knitting Over the Edge and Vogue Knitting for 30% off. There was a whole stack of books I wanted to get, so I'm checking back later to see if the discount increases.

Silver
03-26-2007, 08:58 AM
My nearest Hancock Fabrics is 90 miles away. :pout:

Vendie
03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
oooh, I'm going to have to go check this out and see if mine is closing. I could pick up supplies for more quilted kitties. :thinking:

marykz
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
my Mom said the good stuff at the Hancock near her is going fast. Word travels quickly and lots of people are coming in to clean out the good stuff on sale.... (the one near me closed years ago.)

PaperGirl
03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Oooohhh...theres one here in Waco.

brendajos
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah if you have a store that is closing i wouldn't wait around for prices to go toooo low... they will generally not go bottom dollar if other stores are staying open since they can just move stock.

Stiney
03-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, I just googled Hancock Fabrics to see if I could get in on some clearance yarn.

I live right outside of NYC.

My results:

Bethlehem, PA 77 miles.
Dickson City, PA 94 miles.
Springfield, MA 106 miles.
Wilmington, DE 125 miles.
Lancaster, PA 142 miles.

I guess I won't be getting anything on clearance. :roflhard:

zip
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
There's one fifteen miles from me. Since your post, I've been watching the news to see if they're closing. So far, no news. Letah, is the one in your town closing, or are they merely participating in a company-wide inventory liquidation sale?

brendajos
03-28-2007, 10:32 PM
i called the one near my mom and their phone system said their store was closing.

letah75
03-28-2007, 10:52 PM
There's one fifteen miles from me. Since your post, I've been watching the news to see if they're closing. So far, no news. Letah, is the one in your town closing, or are they merely participating in a company-wide inventory liquidation sale?

Ours is definitely closing. There is a petition you can sign in the store to try to keep it open. It's also been on the local news lately, "Save Hancocks" but I don't think it'll work.

zip
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I didn't call because I didn't wish to sound ... I dunno, grabby? But I just now called anyway, and they are closing. I told the woman who answered that I was sorry. She sounded dejected. I'll head over there after work on Friday or Saturday. Thanks again! I didn't even know they were here.

hunterjenn
03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Here's the full list (or the latest one, anyway). Phew! My store's not there.

http://www.greatamerican.com/admin/uploads/events/ab36e900-21e8-4ba9-92f2-efd107dd0db8/Hancock%206.pdf

ETA: Their site says they've declared Chapter 11, so they're closing almost 150 stores in an effort to recover profits. Lame. The rest are staying open (for now! :oo: ). I'll be ticked if mine goes under, since I'm mid-projects for our house. If I need more of this fabric...well, I guess I could always order it from their site. Kinda bummed I can't get any smokin' yarn deals, though.

stacyk9
03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Just checked the list and mine's not closing, but I don't believe mine carries yarn anyway. I've only been in there once, but I think I'll go check it out.

Stacy

feminine_earth
03-29-2007, 10:24 AM
My nearest Hancock Fabrics is 90 miles away. :pout:
Same here. :pout:

brendajos
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Just checked the list and mine's not closing, but I don't believe mine carries yarn anyway. I've only been in there once, but I think I'll go check it out.

Stacy

My Hancocks only carries Lion brand yarns. Not a huge selection but not terrrrrrrible. I don't generally visit the yarn section while I am there though so they could have changed it... I am all about finding fabric when I go to that store

ummm.... fabric that sits in a pile... :shifty:

meg9
03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
The store down the street from me is STAYING OPEN!!! As are all of the MD Stores if the list is correct :)

I'm so happy, because I just got a sewing machine and have just started sewing. :cheering:

PaperGirl
04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I finally found mine here today!

The yarn was 30% off...and someone told me that after the 15th, everything goes down again..so thats when Ill got snag yarn.

They had TONS of Lions Brand Magic Stripes, Cotton, Kitchen Cotton, Wool Ease, and some other ones Ive never seen.

I only bought ONE pair of needles. :oops:

BinkyKat
04-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I swung by ours after work yesteday...closing..
I checked out the yarn...the Jiffy, Thick n Quick and cottons are all gone. There's a lot of novelty yarns and even needles still in stock. I might check back and get some Clovers. Our store moved from a different location a little over a year ago and are right next to the Hobby Lobby...one fabric place right next to a place that carries fabric and yarn and all other stuff :??
Bummer, always sad when a store closes. I'm still pissed our Ben Franklin closed...after 50 years! They had become one of the main places for crafts and had a respectable fabric/knitting/scrap supply... :verysad:

beckyrhae
04-06-2007, 08:01 PM
The Hancock in Odessa closed (15 miles away) but the one here is still open, the employees didnt sound too hopeful though... its tough, my granny was a seamstress and she would have hated going to wallyworld and hobby lobby for fabric. Its sad :pout:

1knittychick
04-07-2007, 02:23 PM
The Hancock's closest to me (Meridian Mississippi) is going out of business as well. I didn't have time to go visit the store yesterday while me and the DH were shopping for new furniture. I'll have to check with them next week.