PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Market Bag

candicane
03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Anyone want to play with me? I have grand plans to make several of these. I think they would be great as grocery bags (especially if you live in San Francisco), beach bags, pool bags, have in the car bags and for hauling home new loot from the yarn store.

The original pattern is from Magknits:
http://www.magknits.com/June06/patterns/market.htm

I am using this variation:
http://tinyurl.com/3bzhns

There are some older posts (here), that also include making a little pouch to to fold the bag into.

Candice

scarlettbegonias1
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I loove that bag! I would love to join! i will have to wait until Sat. to get yarn, I get paid on Fri!! Can't wait to start although I will probably need a little help once I get to the handles but that's what KAL's are for right?

candicane
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah! Thanks for joining. This is the first KAL I have posted and I was afraid no one would play.

I am using the Brown Sheep Cotton fleece, but I also have some Hempathy at home that I want to try. Come to think of it, I also have some Paton's Grace (cotton) at home too. I see many bags in my future.

Candice

Abbily
03-29-2007, 10:54 AM
That looks like it would make an awesome swim bag for the girls' swimming lessons! :) I wonder if you could knit the whole thing in the round, though? Any thoughts?

CateKnits
03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I want to play! I'm also wondering about knitting it in the round...

candicane
03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
From what I have read, it has been done in the round (with the pocket on the bottom). The lace pattern needs to be worked over an odd number of stitches (I think).

If you do a search in the FO fourm, a couple of ideas should come up.

Candice

SandraEllen
03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I was wondering the SAME thing...
I hate seaming. there has to be a better way. I'll have to think about it.

I want to make a market bag too. I think I'll have to join!
Now to find some yarn. Do you think that peaches or sugar 'n' cream would work well?

candicane
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I also would like some thoughts/suggestions on fiber for the bag. The pattern uses Cotton Fleece which is 80% Pima Cotton/20% Merino. Maybe the merino gives it a little more elasticity than 100% cotton? I want to try my hemp/linen blend, mostly because I don't know what else to do with it.

Since I have already started knitting mine flat (as one piece) I will have to seam the sides. Suggestions on how to do this? Mattress Stitch? Would something else be more durable?

Candice

SandraEllen
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
hmm... i think i'll be buying the peach/sugar/cream cheap cotton because it's listed as an alternate yarn on the original pattern page.

it looks like a really quick knit so i might have to put my pom socks on hold...

monogamy schomogamy....

CateKnits
03-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm just going to use some Bernat Cotton Tots from my stash. If I like it, I might make one in a better color from the Brown Sheep yarn. Can't argue with stash yarn, though!

CateKnits
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I just finished my third repeat using the variation you posted and I'm already not looking forward to the seaming. :roll: I guess that's what I get for my impatience to start! :teehee:

SandraEllen
03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
I think I've figured out how to avoid seaming.

I'm going to do a provisional cast on (turkish cast on) and then work it in the round. I really don't think it will be too bad at all. I'll knit the first whole round I think and then start the pattern, but i'll leave off the extra stitches. start with YO on the first row, and then for the second round make sure the stitches i'm dropping are the yarn over ones. 3rd round, i'll knit one before the YO...

I'm hoping it will work. If not, my backup plan is to again do the provisional cast on and then knit each half as though it were a separate piece. (following the pattern exactly except knitting the purl rows).

I tried some test pieces tonight and I think it's going to work. :crosses fingers:

Eloewien
03-30-2007, 12:44 AM
I think I'm going to give this a shot tonight :) looks like fun!

candicane
03-30-2007, 10:03 AM
I think I've figured out how to avoid seaming.

I'm going to do a provisional cast on (turkish cast on) and then work it in the round. I really don't think it will be too bad at all. I'll knit the first whole round I think and then start the pattern, but i'll leave off the extra stitches. start with YO on the first row, and then for the second round make sure the stitches i'm dropping are the yarn over ones. 3rd round, i'll knit one before the YO...

I'm hoping it will work. If not, my backup plan is to again do the provisional cast on and then knit each half as though it were a separate piece. (following the pattern exactly except knitting the purl rows).

I tried some test pieces tonight and I think it's going to work. :crosses fingers:

Since you are knitting in the round you will have a tube shape. Are you planning on just seaming the bottom? The only way I have read about the bag done in the round, was to knit a rectangular bottom first and then pick up stitches and start knitting in the round.

Candice

scarlettbegonias1
03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Wow, everyone is on there way and I haven't even gotten my yarn yet. TOmrrow, Tomorrow!!! :cheering:

SandraEllen
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Since you are knitting in the round you will have a tube shape. Are you planning on just seaming the bottom? The only way I have read about the bag done in the round, was to knit a rectangular bottom first and then pick up stitches and start knitting in the round.
Candice

I'm going to work it like the toes of socks (without the increases). Check out this turkish cast on tutorial (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html). It'll look like i used kitchener stitch...

i hope that makes sense...

SabrinaJL
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Count me in. I've had some balls of S&C in my stash for MONTHS now and I haven't figured out what to do with them.

candicane
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm going to work it like the toes of socks (without the increases). Check out this turkish cast on tutorial (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html). It'll look like i used kitchener stitch...

i hope that makes sense...[/quote]

So... when knitting in the round you are starting at the top of the bag? Am I understanding that correctly?

candice

SandraEllen
03-30-2007, 01:43 PM
no. i'm going to start at the bottom.

I'll post some pics once I get going...

Eloewien
03-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I started using a purty blue Cascade Sierra.... anyone see a reason why I can't just do 12 repeats and fold it in half so I only seam the sides? I just think it would look better that way.... then I can still pick up stitches as normal...

CateKnits
03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
That's what I'm doing, per the modifications in the blog linked in the original post. I'm not sure how tall I'm going to make mine, though. I don't think my yarn would hold up well for the way I treat my bags, so it's sort of practice at this point.

candicane
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I finished the body of the bag and one handle. Will do the other handle, before I attempt seaming it together. I was using #13 needles for the bag and wanted to use something smaller for the handle. I'm at my parents house tonight and forgot to bring more needles. The best I could dig up here was a size 6. Maybe knitting the handles at a much tighter gauge is not a bad idea. I'll keep you posted!

Might try the next one in the round.

Candice

lucky_alf2
03-31-2007, 03:26 AM
OOoooo - Nice Bag!!! I'm not going to join in at the moment as I have a baby blanket I am focusing on, but maybe later. Can't wait to see how everyone's turns out!

SandraEllen
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
I have some WIP pictures! This goes really fast. I cast on 45 stitches with the turkish cast on and I'm working in the round.

I think I'm on my 3rd? pattern repeat.

http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/saturday.jpg
http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/saturday2.jpg

SabrinaJL
04-01-2007, 03:59 AM
Hmmm, usually when I'm knitting a hole means I've done something wrong. How am I supposed to tell if I've done something wrong? :teehee:

Actually, around the beginning I think i did screw up but I'm not gonna worry too much about it.

candicane
04-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Very Cool SandraEllen!

I am going to have to study the Turkish Cast On. I finished my bag yesterday. The seaming was interesting, and I hope it holds! I made the smaller version with two handles. I think it turned out really cute! I'll have to load it up later and take some pics.

And then start another one!

candice

DotMom61
04-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I just stumbled across this KAL this morning, and I thought I'd share a link with you that I used when making my Saturday Market Bag (http://dotmom61.blogspot.com/2006/12/fos-never-posted.html) (scroll down a bit).

I did mine in the round with an attached pouch. The modifications can be found here (http://chezchelle.blogspot.com/2006/06/todays-blog-is-brought-to-you-by.html).

I totally screwed up the # of stitches when I picked up around the border of my pouch, and the bag still turned out OK. It's kind of hard to mess this one up, thankfully! ;-)

Oh yeah, and I *LOVE* the Turkish Cast-On (http://dotmom61.blogspot.com/2006/05/dear-sophie-would-you-like-some.html)!!!

Eloewien
04-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I finished just in time to get it to it's new home... i'll try to get pictures up sometime today :)

SabrinaJL
04-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a questions for those who seamed up the sides. How did you do it? Did you just use a whipstitch?

candicane
04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
A quick trip to Whole Foods and the bag held: a couple of pounds of meat, two dozen eggs, six-pack of ginger ale and some crackers. It was really heavy and I held my breath as I lifted it out of the cart. It stretched a lot, but did not give signs of breaking! Glad I went with short handles.

going to start another one tonight.

Candice

Eloewien
04-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow! It really does stretch lots! It looked so small when I finished... good to know...

SandraEllen
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
:cheering:

did you end up using size 6 needles for the edging and the handle?

SabrinaJL
04-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice bag, candicane. And that is one rough looking cat. :roflhard:

candicane
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
SandraEllen,

I'm about to try the Turkish Cast On. Does the pattern work with 90 stitches? Or does it need to be an odd number? If so, how many stitches are you working with?

Candice

SandraEllen
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I worked it with 90 stitches. You only cast on 45 though.

and i worked the pattern as though each half were a separate piece. I placed markers and so I could keep track of each half. That way I didn't have to figure out how to alter the pattern for working in the round.

One more thing. I needed to do magic loop until I had enough stitches so that my needles could comfortably turn the corners.

I'm finisihed with the bottom of the bag. just need to do the garter and the handles!

XbelovedXoneX
04-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I have tried starting this bag a couple times, but only manage to get a couple rows into it! The pattern just seems to be too fiddly for me to get a grasp on. :shrug: :wall:

candicane
04-02-2007, 01:54 PM
:cheering:

did you end up using size 6 needles for the edging and the handle?

I used the #6 just for the handles.

Candice

SandraEllen
04-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I finished my bag yesterday, but i think that it may be a bit taller than i want it to be. :shrug: I just kept knitting until i realized i was running out of yarn. Then I split the yarn in half and knitted the handles until I seriously ran out.

i will post pics tonight when i get home.

candicane
04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Excited for pics!

candice

SandraEllen
04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, here she is. I couldnt think of what to load up into it, so it's a bunch of clothes. It'll definitely be large enough to hold some towels and clothes to take to the lake.

http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/saturday3.jpg

candicane
04-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Beautiful! I love it! I just started another one with the Turkish cast on. I'm using a 16'' #11. Hope that it doesn't come out too tight. Did you use smaller needles for the top and handles? Hoping I did the cast on correctly, it is a great idea to work the halves as their own "side".

I knit a couple of rows past the cast on in stockinette, then started the lace pattern. I've made it through 2 reps and hope to have more time tomorrow to work on it. I want to give it to my mom as her Easter "basket."

candice

SandraEllen
04-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks! I used a 15 on the bag and a 10 on the top portion. I decided to do that once I saw that's what the original pattern called for.

That'll be an awesome easter basket for your mom. Maybe I should make one for mine. she's constantly carrying things around in plastic grocery bags...

here's what the side looks like with treating each half as it's own piece.
it's a little weird, but i think it looks better than a seam.
http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/saturday4.jpg

KathyinCali
04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
They look great! They also look like they would make a great towel bag for the beach.

Candicane I love your kitty. I have one with the same colors. When he went through his sex change he was shaved bald. :teehee:

candicane
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments. My kitty is a Devon Rex, so he always looks like that. He does have a tough guy kind of look, but is seriously affectionate. He sleeps curled up next to me, under the covers, with his head on my pillow. He is 2 and very high energy and sometimes a very bad boy. Curiosity really might kill the cat.

Our other kitty just had the fur around her eye shaved, and then the eye removed. She has been blind in that eye since kitten-hood, and recently developed glaucoma in it. Since she wasn't responding to treatment, they had to take the eye out yesterday. She looks like Frankenkitty and is pretty gruesome sight. The stitches look like really bad fake eyelashes--only without an eye. She seems to be doing ok though for a 17 year old cat.

Candice

Eloewien
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I finally got the camera back from my hubby to download the pictures I took!

Here's my bag, using Cascade Sierra...

jhelanee
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Yet another FO post!

Mine is done with Lion Cotton. I modified the pattern to be knit in the round by knitting only the lace repeat section, but knitting an extra stitch at the end of rows 2 and 4 to create the staggering. I seamed the bottom, but am not particularly happy with how it came out. If I do this again I am going with the Turkish cast on! For the handles I used the variation posted in the blog linked earlier.

XbelovedXoneX
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
everyone's FO's look so great! I'm really tempted to try this again for the 238947 time. :teehee:

SabrinaJL
04-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, for those who've done this and seamed it, how did you do it? I finished it and used a whipstitch and it looks like complete crap. :verysad:

candicane
04-10-2007, 09:00 AM
The blue bags look great! Good idea with the cell phone pouch! What is the name of the color of the Lion Brand cotton--I really like it!

I seamed the yellow bag that I posted. I followed the principle of the mattress stitch, but really just kind of winged it. Surprisingly you cannot see the seam at all and since I loaded it up at the grocery store I know that it actually holds, which was my biggest concern.

I finished another one using the turkish cast on and I'll post pics later. Next one I think I will do with the turkish cast on and work over 75 stitches. If my math is correct, the lace pattern needs to be worked over an odd number of stitches that is divisible by 5. I could be totally wrong on this as math is not my friend. Feel free to chime in if anyone disagrees.

Candice

jhelanee
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I think the Lion Cotton color was "Sage". It is actually a darker and muddier green than in the picture - not nearly as pretty, sorry.

And I found that the lace stitch pattern only required multiples of two stitches when worked in the round. I ignored the starting K1 or K2 instructions and just began YO, slip etc. Then when I finished the *drop YO, K2* row, I knit one extra stitch to shift the pattern and started in on the lace again. This resulted in my round end shifting diagonally up the side of the bag, but was virtually invisible so it didn't really matter. Let me know if that is not clear.

ETA: I will actually be selling some of the Lion Cotton in the same color I used for the bag in the buy/sell/swap forum in the next day or too if you are interested.

candicane
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Finished the green Market bag for my Mom just in time for Easter.
Brown Sheep cotton fleece in Lime Light. I used the Turkish Cast on and knit in stockinette for a couple of rows (2nd picture), then moved the stitches to a #11 16-inch needle. I like the slightly tighter weave. I don't know how much stuff you can put in it though. It is still very stretchy.

I started a blue one last night in Hempathy, and I really am not liking the yarn very much, but I will continue it, since I really don't know what else I am going to do with this ball otherwise.

Candice

SandraEllen
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I told a couple of my friends that I'd teach them how to make this bag. I don't really know if they're up for Turkish cast on OR Magic Loop.

So it made me think.

I think that this bag can be made upside down. Start at the top, cast on 70 stitches. knit in the round and then when you get to the bottom, do a 3 needle BO.

Then go back to the top and pick up for the handles.

Does anyone think it would be a bad idea???

candicane
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
I think that sounds like a good plan! Although I didn't think the Turkish cast on was hard, it is a little fiddly to get used to. I also have two friends that what to make the bag and I think I am going to suggest your method to them.

I frogged my bag made of hempathy, because I hated working with it. I started over is a cotton/wool from LYS that was pretty cheap. I am using a dark teal color and I think it is my favorite so far. I am doing it in the round with 75 stitches. I wish the sugar and cream came in more colors.

candice

SandraEllen
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for being my sanity check!

I think i'm going to make another one. 35 stitches each side. The other one I made is CRAZY HUGE when I load it up. Some blue color of sugar 'n cream.

more colors would be good...

SabrinaJL
04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok, so I finished my bag and I must say, I actually hate it. The seams turned out all wonky, I picked up stitches on the top and knit in the round for about 6 rows, but I liked the modified straps instead of the one strap. For that I just picked up 5 stitches, knit the straps long enough and grafted them to the other side. The way I picked up the stitches looks weird, blah blah blah. There's gotta be a better way to do this bag.

I wish I knew how to crochet. I'd totally make this. (http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=133)

DotMom61
04-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Sabrina --

I'm sorry you hate it. :( It looks really cute from here!

I *do* like that crocheted string bag though. That might be enough incentive for me to actually give crocheting a try. :thinking: It can't be THAT hard!

(:psst: Remind me I said this when I start getting frustrated with it, would you? :lol: )

SabrinaJL
04-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I'll remind you if you remind me. :teehee: I was looking at the pattern instructions and they looked like gibberish. But then again, so did knitting patterns when I first started knitting.

candicane
04-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Bummer, it's too bad you hate your bag. At least the colors look nice. The seaming isn't visible in the picture, so from where I am it looks good. Maybe it will grow on you.

I seamed the first one I made (folded in half and seamed sides), and did the 2nd in the round. Defintely the way to go. If you use the Turkish CO you don't have to pick up stitches you just finish it in one piece. I'm working on my third now (finally for me).

I agree that the original pattern isn't very good. The blog that I linked has some good modifications, but I think the best is using the Turkish CO and doing it in the round.

The Spring Knit Scene has another bag called Rutabaga that I want to try next.

candice

Andrea
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I like it, Sabrina :heart:

DotMom61
04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
a-HA!! Andrea crochets!! Can you help us decipher the secret crocheters code in the String Bag? (http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=133) http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/dotmom/Emoticons/emoti_262.gif

Andrea
04-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Ummmmmm. I have no idea how to crochet :pout:

I sowwy. :pout:

candicane
04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
This is the bag from KnitScene that I refered to. It is knit, but looks similar I think to the crocheted bag. I could post a new Knit Along if anyone is interested!

candice

http://www.knitscene.com/2007/inside.asp

SabrinaJL
04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
What exactly is a Turkish cast on?

I have that issue of KnitScene. One of these days, I'm going to start on Butterfly. The bag looks pretty good. No seaming. I like that.

DotMom61
04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Ummmmmm. I have no idea how to crochet :pout:

I sowwy. :pout:

:?? Who am I thinking of, then? I thought you used to crochet!

And that Rutabaga bag is cute!

I tried to start that string bag while the kids & I were @ piano lessons, but it wasn't working out right. There's something about the beginning of it that I wasn't getting.

I guess I'll go check out CrochetHelp.com :lol:

Andrea
04-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I wish I knew how to crochet. :shrug:

DotMom61
04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I wish I knew how to crochet. :shrug:

Oh, well, that must have been what it was then. :roll:

she11y
04-24-2007, 01:00 AM
I just started the Rutabaga bag and I love it so far. The pattern is very easy to follow and I love the lace pattern. There is a cluster stitch in it that is fun to do (wrapping 2 stitches a few times) and makes it easy to tell if you are in the right place. :happydance:

Jeremy
04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
What exactly is a Turkish cast on?

I have that issue of KnitScene. One of these days, I'm going to start on Butterfly. The bag looks pretty good. No seaming. I like that.

Turkish cast on

http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html

SabrinaJL
04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Heh, thanks again, Jeremy. You've been quite helpful with the information. :D

mum2caden
04-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I wish I could buy *just* the rutabaga pattern.. that is perfect!

I am going to make the modified version of the Saturday market bag though, since I can't get my hands on the rutabaga pattern.

SabrinaJL
04-28-2007, 07:43 PM
For those of you working on Rutabaga, there's a small correction on the Knitscene site. http://www.knitscene.com/2007/corrections.asp

robynbird
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
oooo I like all these bags! The market bag - knit and the crochet one and I like the Rudabega which doens't look too hard. I crochet so I can try to write the instructions for the crochet Market Bag so you understand it - if you'd like. It's hard to get the instructions when you first start...i found them even more confusing that knit instructions.

I do have a question about the knit market bag with the turkish cast on. Once you get the cast on; how many rounds do you knit and how do you get it onto one needle? I don't know how to do Magic Look so I'm using the 2 circs method.

Thanks!

SabrinaJL
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
robynbird, that would be very cool. I'm totally working on my crochet skills, specifically because I want to make that bag.

mum2caden
04-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay, I started on the bag..

I have never knit with needles this large before, so that is a bit hard to get used to, but the stitches are soo huge and loose. I only get a few rows in then frog it thinking it can't possibly be right?

The holes seem so big.. am I doing something wrong or does it just seem like that until you are done and it has something in it?

SandraEllen
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
silly questions, but are you using size 15 needles or 15mm needles? 15mm would be a bit larger.

the pattern doesn't list a guage so it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

if you really think the holes are too big, you could go down to the next smaller needle size. I don't think it'll really matter.

DotMom61
04-30-2007, 09:49 AM
It does seem pretty loopy when you're knitting it. Don't fret.

"Trust the pattern." -- Ingrid the Wise

mum2caden
04-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, I *really* don't have much money, and I bought a set of size 15's (10mm) just for this purpose, but the holes are so big that the stitches look horrible and messy. I am using a dishcloth cotton, btw, and the needles are just some cheapy boye circs from walmart.

I can't really afford to buy another set of needles- nor do I want to because eventually I want to complete my set of KP options (I can't afford the shipping for one set of needles to Canada!).

I will try again and just keep going.. maybe it will look different once I am done.

candicane
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
What other needle sizes do you have? I have been doing these bags on 11s because I like the way they look. They are still very stretchy.

candice

robynbird
05-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I finished mine but it seems small. I think the handles are too short...for me anyway. I like so I'm definitely going to make another one in knit and crochet.

mum2caden
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I only have 4's, 6's, 7's and 8's- besides this 15 which I checked on my KP view sizer and it is bigger than a 15...

I thought I would start again today- not sure if I should just keep going with the "15's" or try with the 8's...

candicane
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
I finished mine but it seems small. I think the handles are too short...for me anyway. I like so I'm definitely going to make another one in knit and crochet.

Did you check how long the handles are with the bag full? Mine got quite a big longer with stuff in the bag.

candice

voyageofbeagle
05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi all-

For those of you who made the saturday market bag- about how many rows did you knit for the handles? Thanks!

mum2caden
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Okay, I gave up on the actual market bag pattern because it just wasn't working with the needle size i had... so I am doing the same idea, but with the veil stitch.

All the info I found made the veil stitch sound so confusing, but then I figured it out in an entirely different way and it is EASY.

Oh well.. I will still get a market bag, but I guess it is a "Sunday Market Bag" instead, lol.

candicane
05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Can't wait to see it!

candice

SabrinaJL
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi all-

For those of you who made the saturday market bag- about how many rows did you knit for the handles? Thanks!

I didn't count the rows. I just knit until they were as long as I wanted them to be.

mugs
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I have to have this bag! Our Farmer's market opens on Saturday. I just picked up some sugar and cream I really liked the color of for $.99.

So with the turkish cast on you will be ready to knit in the round? I saw some of the bags with one handle and some with two handles. I want two where is the variation for that found.

About the lilly crochet bag. I saw an episode of Knitty Gritty 2 days ago where they were crocheting with knitting needles. Pattern looks very similar to that one on that bag. If you don't crochet maybe if you can see that episode of knitty Gritty you can do it on your needles.

RuthK
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been admiring everyone's bags for a while now, and I think I'm finally ready to try this!

I'm planning on doing the suggested modification of starting at the top and working down, then finishing with a 3NBO. I'm just a little confused about how to modify the lace pattern to be worked in the round. I've never done anything like this before.

Do I change the P's to K's and just go backwards on rows 2 and 4? For example, if row2 is originally:
*P2, drop the yo from the proceeding row; rep from* end p1.
do I now do:
k1, *drop the yo from the proceeding row, K2; rep from* ?

Thanks!

SabrinaJL
05-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Yep, RuthK, that's how you do it. :D

RuthK
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Sabrina. I'm going to cast on tonight!

robynbird
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Did you check how long the handles are with the bag full? Mine got quite a big longer with stuff in the bag.

candice

Actually...no I didn't. I'll have to do that, thanks!

knittingmom2three
05-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I am knitting this from the original pattern. I am a fairly new knitter- so I wanted to ask some advice.

I'm scared to death to make a mistake, because it seems impossible to rip back-how in the world would you do that? I learned about a lifeline and thought Yay! that was the solution- but when I made a mistake tonight, even with a lifeline I had a hard time figuring out where to pick my stitches back up. ( I used dental floss for the lifeline- maybe a slightly thicker yarn would be easier?) So, with three pattern repeats done, I ended up ripping it all out and starting over.

I decided to knit it in 2 pieces for this reason- I was so relieved to bind off the first side! I keep making a mistake on the second side that causes me to rip it all out!

I've been reading all the posts about knitting it in the round- which I'd like to try next time, but YIKES!, what if I make a mistake near the end! Are you all flawless knitters, or what?

Thanks for any advice.

SabrinaJL
05-26-2007, 08:46 PM
When I make a mistake I just stare at it until I figure out how to fix it. Seriously. But my advice for this bag is pay VERY close attention to what you're doing. It's so easy to make a mistake on this one.

I'm actually working on it again. I made a REALLY modified version of it and believe it or not, this one, I really like. I'm working on another one because it needs a few tweaks and that way I can write up the pattern as I go along.

mum2caden
05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I used a bright red piece on yarn as my lifelines for this bag, when I was knitting with a cream cotton. Then when I need to use the lifeline, I pull the ends tight and pull the bottom of the work down, so the stitches that will need to be put back on are plain to see.

arctic_mosquito
06-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Help! :oo:

:?? I've been trying to figure it out the whole day, but i still don't get it ...

Call me stupid but I can't even get the first row right... :shrug:

Row 1 (RS) k1 *yo, sl 1, k1, yo, psso the knit st and the following yo; repeat from*

It's mostly the psso's i don't get. I understand that i psso the knit stitch over the yo... but then do i psso the yo over the next repeats yo? (the first yo after the *-mark) :think:

I'd be soooo greatful over any clarification since i'm so tired of trying it out over and over again in different ways realizing after a while that it just wasn't so, and having to frog it. I MUST HAVE THIS BAG!

RuthK
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Poor thing! I posted on your other thread, but thought I'd put it here too... what you said above is correct. You pass the slip stitch over the knit stitch and one yo only. I also think the way it's worded is strange... the word "following" is confusing when you're talking about something you did previously!

In any case, it's this:
1. yo
2. slip
3. knit
4. yo
Now pass 2 over 3 and 4.

Have fun!

suzeeq
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Actually, since there's a YO after the knit 1, the word following is correct. Ruth is correct though, you YO, slip, knit 1, YO then pass the sl st over BOTH the k1 and YO after it.

sue

arctic_mosquito
06-11-2007, 11:06 AM
:muah:Thanks! i think i quite get it now! :hug:

redheadrachel
06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm joining, if we can still join this late! I'm going to make the modified Saturday Market Bag with two straps :D I'm really excited for my first Knit-along!!

redheadrachel
06-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm not knitting this in the round, so for those of you who didn't, which type of seam did you use?

EDIT: Just so everyone knows . . . a crocheted seam is NOT ATTRACTIVE in this pattern! lol I was crocheting long before I ever learned to knit, and I've never had to do another other type of seam, so I wanted to check and see if it would look good. Just so you know, it doesn't. Any other suggestions?

Slybella
07-17-2007, 01:13 PM
After 3 repeats it doesn't look quite like the picture. But all the repeat do look the same. So either I have a consistant mistake or am all messed up. I was wondering the pattern doesn't specify. When you slip a stitch are you slipping knit or purl wise. I am slipping purl wise btw.

nik
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I just cast on for this and so far so good. Next time I'm going to do it in the round from the top down. Wonder why they didn't do this originally???

I got a bit lost and made some mistakes while watching a movie but they didn't show. If I was short a stitch I did a KFB, and if I had an extra one I did a K2TOG. That happened a couple times (it was a good movie!) but it still looks great :)

knittingmom2three
07-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Slybella-

I think with a psso you are supposed to slip knit-wise. That's what I did and it did look like the picture.

Nik-

I have had trouble knitting this in the round. How did you do it?

suzeeq
07-17-2007, 11:08 PM
When you slip a stitch used in a decrease (psso or ssk) slip it knitwise unless you want it twisted.

nik
07-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Slybella-

I think with a psso you are supposed to slip knit-wise. That's what I did and it did look like the picture.

Nik-

I have had trouble knitting this in the round. How did you do it?

I haven't tried it in the round yet. That's too bad you're having trouble with it. Now I'm nervous to try it! Right now I'm doing one piece, folding it in half, and sewing up the sides. I'm almost about done with the main section.

Slybella
07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Thxs for the replies I'll try it with slipping knit wise. I am also knitting it flat.

BostonBecca
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
How do you think this would be knit in Shine Sport? I have a couple of skeins left over from another project and am looking for something to knit them into and I would love one of these bags.

mshelton
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking about starting a market bag. Have you guys seen this one? It looks like it's knited from the bottom and in the round. I may sub the stitches from the Saturday Market Bag. I haven't decided about the handle style.
http://tiajudy.com/stringbag.htm

knittingmom2three
07-23-2007, 03:55 PM
mshelton-

That's a cute bag- it is very similar to the one I'm going to do next:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTeverlasting.html

I like that these are knit in the round. The seaming is sort of a nightmare on the Saturday Market Bag. I never could get the pattern right with that one in the round.

nik
07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I like those so much more! My market bag is done but I agree with the others; the seaming is a pain and doesn't look that great.

The knitty one is nice because the knitting repeat looks easier too.
Maybe next time I'll combine the two and come up with my own.

RuthK
07-24-2007, 11:01 AM
How do you think this would be knit in Shine Sport? I have a couple of skeins left over from another project and am looking for something to knit them into and I would love one of these bags.
The only thing I'd worry about is whether it might be too stretchy and give more than you'd like. (You'd also want to cast on and knit quite a bit more, since Shine Sport is thinner than the Cotton Fleece.)

I really like the stitch pattern from the Saturday Market Bag, but if I make another, I might try to incorporate that stitch pattern with one of the newer links you guys have posted. They seem really nice.

mshelton
07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I just finished the sting bag I mentioned in my earlier post. Didn't like the picture of it knitted with crochet thread and all stretched out funny looking, but knitted it anyway using that multi color yarn from Peaches and Cream cotton. Surprise, I like it alot and it's knitted in the round and it has a nice shape. In fact, think I will knit up some for family and friends. Headed to San Antonio today but will try to post a picture tomorrow.

mshelton
07-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's a couple of pictures. Just started another one for my sister. I used Peaches and Cream cotton and size 13, 16 in circulars. If anyone else does this, here a hint that helped me. On row 1, the first loop of the K2TOG will be the YO of the previous row, and on row 2 the 2nd stitch of the K2TOG will be the YO of the previous round. I use one Stitch marker on rows one and put two stitch markers together for rows 2 so I could easily keep track.

madametj
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Is anyone still working on this? I just started yesterday and mine looks nothing like the picture at all.

I'm working on the String Bag (http://disdressed.blogspot.com/2006/08/string-bag.html) version

rainberry
10-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I just finished knitting a variation of it from here except I knitted it flat instead of in the round like she did: http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/2007/05/new-lunch-bag.html

I still have to sew up the sides though.

new_knitter
10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
SandraEllen,

How is your bag that you made with the turkish cast on holding up? I am looking at making one of these bags and like the idea of the turkish cast on.... not that I have tried it before, but I like knitting in the round.

suzeeq
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I like Turkish CO for bag bottoms. I've made 2 that way - garter stitch a couple rows and they work fine.

vlnjodie
10-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey all! I just stumbled across this and wanted to say that your bags look awesome! I've used the original for many grocery runs, and it's held up well. If any of you would like to e-mail me pictures of your bags, I would love to include them in the gallery on my blog!

I'm going to be making a few more as gifts, so I'll be sure to post the FO pictures here.

http://www.violinjodie.com/blog/saturday-market-bag-gallery/

mshelton
11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
SandraEllen,

How is your bag that you made with the turkish cast on holding up? I am looking at making one of these bags and like the idea of the turkish cast on.... not that I have tried it before, but I like knitting in the round.

This was the website with instructions and I did just follow the instructions as written.
http://tiajudy.com/stringbag.htm
It is holding up very well, and I use it all the time.

ahkatelier
12-09-2007, 06:31 AM
I had planned on making some of these over the summer and never got around to it. I think these would be great gifts if I can get moving on them. I have a lot of white cotton I'd like to make some out of and then tie dye...I need some motivation though.

I love the pictures you all have posted. Thank you for sharing

new_knitter
09-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I needed a bag to take to the beach this weekend, so I finally started a modified Saturday Market bag today. I used a Turkish cast on and cast on 45 (total of 90 stitches). Then went into the lace pattern modified for knitting in the round:

Row 1: K1 (initially row only k2tog to give 89 stitches) * yo, sl1, k1, yo, psso; repeat from *

Row 2: K1 * drop yo from previous row, k2; repeat from *

Row 3: k2, repeat from * of Row 1, end k1

Row 4: * k2, drop yo from previous row; repeat from *, k3

It is knitting up really quickly! :)

new_knitter
09-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Hmm.... My bag was half done and I notice I had dropped a stitch. I tried to put it back.... no luck. Then I tried :frog: back to where I had dropped the stitch... I never could get back to a point where I knew where I was :?? I assume this is because all of the dropping of the yo's. Had to :frog: :frog: :frog: the whole thing! :hair:

Any suggestions for going back a row or two if I need to?

susi
10-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh I just finished one. When Im home properly and on my computer I'll post a picture.

I love the bags so far

Susi

new_knitter
10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
See my post and pics about my finished bag in Whacha Knitting?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1163607