PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn to spin-have basic question

Rennagayle
03-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I attended a spinning class last week. I can honestly say I had the worst results of anyone taking the class. :oops: The others argued that fact, but I know they were just trying to be nice. :pout:

That said, I am still hooked. :happydance: The instructor kindly offered to let me bring home one of her many wheels to practice. The problem I'm having is that I can't remember how to actually start. :shock:

I've tried and tried to get the wool (roving, whatever you call it) attached to the lead string ,but it just won't. :grrr:

Can anyone offer me any advice? I really, really want to learn. :pray:

stacy.duval
03-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Hopefully you have a little loop tied in the end of your leader. If not, then do that. Then draft out a little of the roving and stick the tip end of the roving through the loop in the leader. Fold that bit of wool back over onto itself and start spinning. The leader should take up the twist, then go into the wool. Once you have some twist in the tip end of the wool, it should basically be attached to itself, and you can spin from there. I hope this helps. :?? :shrug:

dlc
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Hopefully you have a little loop tied in the end of your leader. If not, then do that. Then draft out a little of the roving and stick the tip end of the roving through the loop in the leader. Fold that bit of wool back over onto itself and start spinning. The leader should take up the twist, then go into the wool. Once you have some twist in the tip end of the wool, it should basically be attached to itself, and you can spin from there. I hope this helps. :?? :shrug:

I agree. I've had people tell me that I should be spinning onto the leader, but the loop thing works very well. Good luck with the spinning, it will get better and easier.

Rennagayle
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Good luck with the spinning, it will get better and easier.

I'm going to hold you to that! :fingerwag:

:mrgreen:

kemp
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
It really does get easier very quickly! How is it going now?

Rennagayle
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Other demands of life have gotten in the way this past week, and I've not even had an opportunity to sit, undisturbed, and work on it.

Thursday, I anticipate having the house all to myself all day long. I will spin .... or a fascimile thereof! :mrgreen:

Thanks for asking! :D

dlc
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Try to do a little bit every day or so. A spinning marathon, especially when you're beginning, can leave you frustrated and stiff. Be sure to take a break every so often. Have fun.

Rennagayle
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
That sounds like good advice. :thumbsup:

My house is naturally very dark inside (lots of trees), and I generally prefer crafting with alot of natural light. I'm looking forward to sunny spring days when I can take the wheel outside and sit in my backyard to practice. At least the birds can serinade me there. :sun:

Julie
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Seriously -- one of the best pieces of advice I got in the beginning was to spin for 15 minutes a day. It's enough to keep training your hands, but not enough to make you :!!!:

:D