PDA

View Full Version : Sweater size adjustments

cds11
04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
So, I want to try making a sweater... Actually, I want to try the sweater here (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/doreen/doreen.html).
Now, say my chest was more like 34-35 inches, instead of 36, how would I adjust the pattern? Or is it not really worth it?

And it sounds like there's a few needle changes in this pattern... so, how does that work? When it talks about smaller straight needles, and larger straight needles, that refers to gauge, right?

I have a feeling once I get going on this, I'm gonna have a lot of questions... I'm still pretty new to all this..

momwolf
04-02-2007, 10:53 PM
It says this sweater is suppose to be oversized.so I would think 36 would be ok.
The smaller needles are for the ribbing on the sweater,you switch to larger size needle to start the body of sweater. the ribbing is usually done on a smaller needle.So after you figure out your gauge you will use one size smaller for ribbing.Say your gauge is worked on size 9 needle so then you will use 8 needle for ribbing.
The circulars are used for the turtle neck and you use them in the order it says to.

cam90066
04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Try a gauge swatch at the recommended ndl sz. If it's spot on, go down one sz (ie 9 and 10). (Make a gauge swatch and if just a bit smaller, you should be fairly close.) If your swatch is smaller right off the bat, you might be okay. If larger than pattern's gauge, keep going down in ndl sz til you match and THEN reduce one or two sizes further. Another option would be to adjust down the st counts (ie all c/o's are a diff of '4' so reduce the smallest sz by 4).

HTH,

cam

cds11
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much! :muah:

cds11
04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok... another question.. sorry... but I went out the other day and bought some needles.. and all the sizes were in metric and I can't convert in my head for some reason.. anyways.. I ended up getting circular needles that are 24", not 16" like it asks for... is this a problem, or will it be ok?

suzeeq
04-08-2007, 12:06 AM
The circular is for picking up the stitches for the turtle neck which looks to be about 21" for size 36. It should be okay (you don't use the entire length of the needle when you knit with it), or if it does turn out a bit short, you can do a Magic Loop variation by pulling out only one side of the cord as you go around. After a few rows you might not need to do that.

sue

suzeeq
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Ooops. didn't notice the double post...

sue

cds11
04-10-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll figure it out when I get there... So much to learn...