PDA

View Full Version : Candle Flame Shawl (With Border Tutorial!)

Pages : [1] 2

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:34 PM
There's a lot of talk about this shawl in the General Forum, and I think it belongs in a Knit Along. The pattern can be found HERE. (http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/http://www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM) It's a really easy pattern, and great for a first shawl!

Here's mine so far. I'm using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Pewter, and #9 needles.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr08269.jpg

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
gorgeous!!!! this pattern is calling my name!!! I need to finish wicked first (yeah I've been saying that for like 2 months).

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Great! We now have:

1 recruit.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Ok...I'll be brave and say yes! I have to get my yarn first and finish a couple of things I'm working on! LOL!

Ok...I confess...I WAS the new knitter that said,"I'll never have more than one thing on the needles...I'll finish that before I start something else!" So much for that!

Seriously, I'm not exactly sure when I can start this...does that matter?

Thanks,
Merry :)

Braden
04-08-2007, 11:15 PM
No, it doesn't matter when you start it. Don't worry, I'm sure we all said "only one project at a time" at one time. Have the majority of us gone through with it, no!

Ronda
04-09-2007, 05:17 AM
I have the yarn for this and the pattern. I'm supposed to be making this for my mother. I started Lady Eleanor (entrelac shawl) though, and both of these are big projects. Hmmmm...do I put Eleanor on hold and start this or do I keep going on Eleanor? Tempting. I'll give it some thought.

As always, ContiKnitter, your work is perfect. :notworthy:

merryknitter
04-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Contiknitter,
You are using $9 needles with a Bulky weight...if I use a worsted weight yarn, should I maybe use #8 needles? What do you think?
Thanks,
Merry:)

spectorkitty
04-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I would love to knit this but I am fairly new to knitting and don't understand this part:

- Garter Stitch Border -

CO 10 sts.
K 9, Sl 1, (K 2 tog, pass sl st over), turn and knit back out to to the edge of border.
Continue in this manner until all the stitches along the top have been worked.
BO 10 sts loosely.
Weave in loose ends

Cast on? Where and how? I've seen this before about casting on in the middle or something like that and don't understand it. Or am I just reading it wrong?

spectorkitty
04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Also, would Plymouth Encore Chunky work well do you think? There is a beautiful color I would like to use called Garnet.

Braden
04-09-2007, 09:23 AM
MerryKnitter- Yes, You probably should use smaller needles, as this is not a lace fabric.

SpectorKitty- I'm just planning to do a garter stitch border on the top, as the instructions for the border aren't very good.

ps- Plymouth Encore would be great! Any worsted/bulky wool/wool blend would be good for this.

Braden
04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I have the yarn for this and the pattern. I'm supposed to be making this for my mother. I started Lady Eleanor (entrelac shawl) though, and both of these are big projects. Hmmmm...do I put Eleanor on hold and start this or do I keep going on Eleanor? Tempting. I'll give it some thought

I would have them both going ;) because you might decide you want to work on something besides entrelac.

As always, ContiKnitter, your work is perfect. :notworthy:

Thank you ;)

spectorkitty
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Row 30: *P1, K2, P11, K2 repeat from *, end with CO 3 sts after last P11
Repeat rows 21 through 30 until desired length and width. P one row.

do when you get to these last rows, you just do a garter stitch? Or is there something different with a border?

Sorry I've never done anything but scarfs and dishcloths, and one hat!

Braden
04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
You can really do any border that you like, I just happen to prefer garter stitch.

feministmama
04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I tried making this shawl last year. I made abog booboo and ended up frogging. I haven't picked it back up since but maybe I could now that others are into it :shrug:

Braden
04-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, try it again! We're always here if you need help!

pigsfly0311
04-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I have a question about row 29.. and forgive me if it's a silly one..

I don't have enough stitches to finish the row.. mine ends with knit 4. Did I do something wrong or is that right?

pigsfly0311
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Also, am I right by doing the backward loop cast on to cast on the stitches at the end of rows?

Braden
04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's the one I've been using, I don't really see how you could do any other one.

pigsfly0311
04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I keep running out of stitches at the ends of rows

I must have done something wrong

when I repeated row 21 I didn't have enough to do the (k,yo,k)
then on row 22 I'm missing the last p3..

what am I doing wrong??

DQ
04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I have the opposite problem! I got to row 12 and ended up with 2 extra stitches so I frogged it (again) :frog:

Braden
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know what could be happening. Uh, Ingrid?

DQ
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe it was something to do with the screaming toddler bouncing on me :??

Let's see what happens now I have some quiet...

meearnol
04-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm in! I made a few modifications to the original pattern to convert it to a scarf, and I'm really happy with it! I even discovered the benefits of blocking last night. I'd never blocked before, and I can't believe how well it worked. I'll post pictures as soon as I find a camera to borrow. Mine is incredibly craptastic.

Calabaza
04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I am doing the Candle Flame Shawl, and I had some problems at the start of it not having enough stiches. But I learned that a yarn over isn't counted as a separate stich (sp?)

Did that make any sense?

DQ
04-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I still keep ending rows with too many stitches!! :grrr: And I'm being so careful :pout: I really don't want to frog again...do you think it'll be ok to do some damage control and knit a few together to get back on track? I've just finished row 13 and I've got 23 stitches :??

Braden
04-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I think just doing random decreasing would throw off the pattern, I really don't know how this is happening, because I never had any of those problems on my shawl, are you doing the increases and decreases correctly?

pigsfly0311
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
well, I figured out my problem.. I didn't co 3 at the end of one row, I ripped back, fixed that and now I'm back on track :thumbsup:

spectorkitty
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Row 9: K4. (K, YO, K), K4, CO 3 sts

How in the world do you cast on right in the middle of knitting?

cookworm
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Row 9: K4. (K, YO, K), K4, CO 3 sts

How in the world do you cast on right in the middle of knitting?

This is right where I am--I know I have to CO 3 sts at the end of row 9, but I don't know how (I'm knitting a sample of the candle flame shawl with some scrap yarn in my stash to see if I can do it). I tried to do this once before with another knittng project and I couldn't figure it out. Help! :hair:

Mine is incredibly craptastic.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard--I'm going to steal that line!!!! :roflhard:

cookworm
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh--I see Amy has a video for the backwards loop cast on to do the method of casting on stitches at the end of row 9 here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/cast-on/backward-loop-co.mpg). Yay Amy!!!!! :muah:

cookworm
04-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Help!

I think there might be a problem with row 29 of the pattern (I'm using the pattern located at http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/http://www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM that says "design by Dean Crane"). I did go with the corrections (http://www.knottygirls.com/jenlablog/freepatterns/candleflamecorr.pdf) on rows 19 and 20 because when I looked at my previous rows, the corrections matched up with what was already there, and I had no problems with getting my repeats to go to the end of the row (hope that makes sense). I think I ended up with 41 stitches on row 28 once I got done knitting that row.

Anyway, when I got to row 29, here's where my repeat ends (it's in red)--it doesn't repeat fully to the end of the row:

*K4, (K, YO, K), K4, P2, (Sl 2-k1-p2sso), P2 repeat from *, end with CO 3 sts.

None of the other odd-numbered repeat rows start with an *--they go from a K number to the (K, YO, K), then the same K number, then the repeat starts.

Has anybody else had a problem with this row? Here's what mine looks like so far. I didn't take the time to try to gauge it as I'm just doing a practice swatch to see if I could even do it, so my stitches are a little bit loose (I'm using Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Chunky yarn on size 11 [8mm] needles). This pattern is even more beautiful than the picture shows! :heart:

cookworm
Help!

I think there might be a problem with row 29 of the pattern (I'm using the pattern located at http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/http://www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM that says "design by Dean Crane"). I did go with the corrections (http://www.knottygirls.com/jenlablog/freepatterns/candleflamecorr.pdf) on rows 19 and 20 because when I looked at my previous rows, the corrections matched up with what was already there, and I had no problems with getting my repeats to go to the end of the row (hope that makes sense). I think I ended up with 41 stitches on row 28 once I got done knitting that row.

Anyway, when I got to row 29, here's where my repeat ends (it's in red)--it doesn't repeat fully to the end of the row:

None of the other odd-numbered repeat rows start with an *--they go from a K number to the (K, YO, K), then the same K number, then the repeat starts.

Has anybody else had a problem with this row? Here's what mine looks like so far. I didn't take the time to try to gauge it as I'm just doing a practice swatch to see if I could even do it, so my stitches are a little bit loose (I'm using Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Chunky yarn on size 11 [8mm] needles). This pattern is even more beautiful than the picture shows! :heart:

cookworm
Help!

Has anybody else had a problem with this row? Here's what mine looks like so far. I didn't take the time to try to gauge it as I'm just doing a practice swatch to see if I could even do it, so my stitches are a little bit loose (I'm using Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Chunky yarn on size 11 [8mm] needles). This pattern works up even more beautiful than the picture on the pattern shows! :heart:

DQ
04-10-2007, 05:42 AM
I think just doing random decreasing would throw off the pattern, I really don't know how this is happening, because I never had any of those problems on my shawl, are you doing the increases and decreases correctly?

Decreases?? Which are decreases??

I think I'm ok up to row 10 and then it all goes wrong from there :( Can someone take me slowly through these rows (well 11 and 13)...maybe I'll see what I'm doing wrong then!

Row 11: (K, YO, K), P2, K4,(Sl 2-k1-p2sso), K4, P2, (K, YO, K)
Row 12: P3, K2, P9, K2, P3
Row 13: K1, (K, YO, K), K1, P2, K3,(Sl 2-k1-p2sso), K3, P2, K1, (K, YO, K), K1

:??

cookworm
04-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Okay, I got row 29...I don't know what I was doing wrong. :oops:

My question is that I've heard about a garter stitch border--is this something that's only done along the top of the shawl?

(Sorry for the multiple posts above)

VictoiseC
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Um, did I miss it... I don't see the required yardage/yarn for this shawl at the instructions. I'm trying to figure out if I have enough yarn somewhere for this....

Mommy22alyns
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I really want to do this, but I'm so darn confused about which version of the pattern is correct! :?? Plus I have 2 projects going right now... and I'm desperately trying to have only 2 at a time. Trying, anyway.... :oops: Also I'd like to have an idea how much yarn I'll need as well. Anyone?

Braden
04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, I'm using 5 hanks of Knit Picks WOTA bulky, and I'm sure I'll have enough. The pattern doesn't state how many yards you need, though.

Debbie
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
cookworm ... that is exactly where my problem is ... row 29 ...and I can not get past it to go to 30 and then start again with 19 ... I always end with knit 4 ... I will try your correction ! I am pretty much at the same place you are.

I am going to need to print a pattern with all the corrections ... this is way to much "figurin' out" for me! But I really, really like it to much to quit!

cookworm
04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
The more I knit this pattern, the more it reminds me of a peace lily. I think this would look so pretty in a pale golden yellow.

Braden
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Cookworm, that would be a good color, here's mine as of today:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr10273.jpg

And here's another close-up, the color is a bit faded here:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr10275.jpg

I really do notice how it looks like a peace lily, more so than a candle flame.

cookworm
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
It's really pretty, Conti! Your grandma sure is lucky--I would love this shawl knitted for me! What size are your flames? This knitted up bigger than I thought it would be; bigger than the original pattern picture looked. The nice thing is that the swatch that I knitted up went really quick, so I think a full size shawl would knit up pretty quickly.

Braden
04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks, they are 2'' wide and 3'' tall.

cookworm
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Um, did I miss it... I don't see the required yardage/yarn for this shawl at the instructions. I'm trying to figure out if I have enough yarn somewhere for this....

Vic and Amber--no, you didn't miss it. There is no listing for total yarn requirements in this pattern, nor are there dimensions listed for the finished shawl. I'm guessing what happened is that only a sample was knit for the purposes of providing a picture for the pattern, so nobody knows how much yarn would actually be needed, and since there are no finished dimensions of a full-size shawl given, it's nearly impossible to try to figure out how much you'd need.

Conti said he's using 5 hanks of WOTA bulky (which is 685 yds.). I was planning on initially buying around 550 yards or so of yarn for this project, if either of those numbers help anybody with regards to yardage.

Amber, the pattern I'm using is located here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM

and there are corrections for rows 19 and 20 listed here at this site:
http://www.knottygirls.com/jenlablog/freepatterns/candleflamecorr.pdf

Braden
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
it's nearly impossible to try to figure out how much you'd need.

That was what I thought at first, but I figure 5 hanks will be enough. That was what I had, so I'm going with it!

cookworm
04-10-2007, 10:10 PM
That was what I thought at first, but I figure 5 hanks will be enough. That was what I had, so I'm going with it!

I think 5 will be plenty. I knit shawls a lot, and although they may differ somewhat in size and pattern, I typically use between 500-600 yards, so that's how I came up with my number.

Braden
04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
That's good!

merryknitter
04-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Is anyone using lifelines with your shawls?
Thanks,

If I use Plymouth Encore yarn, which is 200 yds...then should I figure on 3 to be safe? A total of 600 yds?

Braden
04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
MerryKnitter- I'm not using a lifeline, and I would buy 4 or 5 just to be extra safe.

merryknitter
04-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks Contiknitter...I certainly don't want to run short! I have to say that I am really sold on Lifelines...being a new knitter, I have made a ton of mistakes and fortunately did not have to frog all the way back...due to the lifelines! Since you seem to be the furthest along on this shawl, are you running into any of the problems with the pattern that other people have been? From what I've read from your posts, you are not finding mistakes in the pattern, right? I just want to make sure that it's right before I start it! LOL!
Thanks,
Merry :

DQ
04-11-2007, 05:06 AM

Decreases?? Which are decreases??

I think I'm ok up to row 10 and then it all goes wrong from there :( Can someone take me slowly through these rows (well 11 and 13)...maybe I'll see what I'm doing wrong then!

Row 11: (K, YO, K), P2, K4,(Sl 2-k1-p2sso), K4, P2, (K, YO, K)
Row 12: P3, K2, P9, K2, P3
Row 13: K1, (K, YO, K), K1, P2, K3,(Sl 2-k1-p2sso), K3, P2, K1, (K, YO, K), K1

:??

Anyone? :pout: :verysad: :pout:

pigsfly0311
04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
DQ The decreases are the Sl2-k1-p2sso

also, are you casting on 3 at the end of rows 9 and 10?
thats where my problem was.

DQ
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
DQ The decreases are the Sl2-k1-p2sso

also, are you casting on 3 at the end of rows 9 and 10?
thats where my problem was.

OH!! I think I've just got it! You pass the 2 slipped stitches over and off the needle? Yeah I figured out how to cast those stitches on thanks :hug:

Mommy22alyns
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Thank you, Conti & Cook! :hug:

It's on my list of to-do projects... we'll see where it falls soon! I may bump it up since it's been unseasonably cool here and I'm not sure if I'll want to do it in 90 degree weather!

Belphoebe
04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
O.k., you guys have me hooked. Now to check my stash and see if I have enough yarn around. Any recommendations on what kind of yarn would NOT work? I know I have a lot of worsted around somewhere... :??

Debbie
04-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Worsted works great ... you may want to expriment with needle size to get the look you want. Or check out knitting two strands together . I don't think anything very fuzzy would be good.

I am using KP Main Line - worsted - size 10, it makes a "looser" fabric but the flames still show, and poof, and shape. I LOVE the look of the bulky wool ... but I want to use in it in Florida ... well in air conditioned restaurants anyway and for travel.

Since it starts with one flame and builds ... which I AM going to master this weekend ... you don't have to worry about it being too small because of gauge.

cookworm
04-12-2007, 10:04 AM
O.k., you guys have me hooked. Now to check my stash and see if I have enough yarn around. Any recommendations on what kind of yarn would NOT work? I know I have a lot of worsted around somewhere... :??

I myself wondered how this might look with worsted weight yarn. The gauge won't be the same of course as listed in the pattern, and you'd have to play around with needle size, and it wouldn't work up as quickly, but it might work up just fine.

Belphoebe
04-12-2007, 10:08 AM
:oops: O.k., I've tried this three times now....how on earth do you start this thing??? You have one cast on stitch...you knit it, and yarn over...how do you then knit into that same stitch? :oops:

VictoiseC
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks cookwoim (private joke)

Ok, I think I'm getting way intimidated by all the posts and corrections and stuff. Think I'll work on my little bolero thingy and maybe I'll try a sample of this pattern with waste yarn first.... whew. It's so beautiful though.
Love the lily picture!

Belphoebe
04-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I might have done it! I knit the stitch, didn't pull it off, yarned over, then knit in the stitch that wasn't slipped off to get a total of three stitches on the needle. Is that it? :shrug:

DQ
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I might have done it! I knit the stitch, didn't pull it off, yarned over, then knit in the stitch that wasn't slipped off to get a total of three stitches on the needle. Is that it? :shrug:

That's what I did!

DQ
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Here's my progress so far...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/DQ-Minx/IMG_1628.jpg

I made the piccy small so you can't see how terrible it is! :oops:

merryknitter
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
DQ...I don't think it looks terrible! I love the color...what kind of yarn and weight are you using?
I'm going tomorrow to pick out some yarn!
Merry

Lighting57
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Contiknitter, I've a question. When doing the O in KOK do you bring the yarn from the back and over the top of the needle and then make the second K? I've been practivcing this pattern and to start with I was making the O by going over the front to the back. Although, I had no trouble with the second K, it didn't look correct. Which way do you all do it? :??

Also, is there a way to keep the stitches uniform looking along the edges?
I pull these stitches tight, but some of them still look to large. Thanks!

cookworm
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I made the piccy small so you can't see how terrible it is! :oops:

No DQ--it's just BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I really love that color--it's so delicate. It looks just great!!!

DQ
04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
The yarn is just some acrylic DK I bought in the £1 shop! I just loved the colour of it :heart: There's only 2 (fairly big) balls of it though so I don't know how big this shawl is going to be :?? But when I'm finished I can always buy a different yarn and make another!

Debbie
04-13-2007, 06:40 AM
cookworm ... did you figure out row 29?? I have frogged and I am starting over today...

Is there anyone else having problems doing the last two rows (29 & 30) then starting the repeat ???

spectorkitty
04-13-2007, 06:49 AM
DQ, it is great!

I can't even start mine, I tried six times last night and just don't get that k, yo, k thing. It looked awful. I got frustrated and put it away. I really want to make this but I am having a serious block with that knit into a stitch thing!!

DQ
04-13-2007, 07:08 AM
DQ, it is great!

I can't even start mine, I tried six times last night and just don't get that k, yo, k thing. It looked awful. I got frustrated and put it away. I really want to make this but I am having a serious block with that knit into a stitch thing!!

I know what you mean I did too. i found it helped me to look at the 'bar increase' video in the basic techniques section although it's not quite the same thing I think it's the closest there is.

cookworm
04-13-2007, 07:39 AM
cookworm ... did you figure out row 29??

Debbie, yes, I did. What I did was to look at the previous row when I was knitting row 29, and here's what I came up with instead, and it worked (I don't know why, but it worked! :teehee: ):

K4, (K, YO, K), K4, *P2, (Sl 2-k1-p2sso), P2, K4, (K, YO, K), K4, repeat from *, end with CO 3 sts.

Try that and see if it works out for you.

cookworm
04-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Yes--you did it! :happydance:

cookworm
04-13-2007, 07:44 AM
By the way, I tried rows 1-30 as a swatch with some single stranded worsted weight, and it worked really nice, for those that were wondering how it might work out with worsted weight.

merryknitter
04-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Cookworm...what size needle were you knitting with on the worsted weight?
Thanks,
Merry

spectorkitty
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
DQ, it is great!

I know what you mean I did too. i found it helped me to look at the 'bar increase' video in the basic techniques section although it's not quite the same thing I think it's the closest there is.

I saw that. Is that what you actually used? Because I thought I would try it but wasn't sure it would turn out.

Debbie
04-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks cookworm ... I am armed and ready with my completely corrected pattern ... rows 19, 20 and 29 !!!!!

Belphoebe
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Anyone know of a video clip of the (Sl 2-k1-p2sso)? The way I'm doing it is rather task intensive and I'm sure NOT how it is supposed to be done. Any help would be wonderful! I'll try to get a pic of how far mine is sometime today.

DQ
04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
DQ, it is great!

I saw that. Is that what you actually used? Because I thought I would try it but wasn't sure it would turn out.

No, I just looked at that because I couldn't get my head around knitting the same stitch twice! What I'm doing is knitting the stitch but not slipping it off completely onto the next needle - so you end up with half of the stich on one needle and half on the other...then I bring the yarn forward and over the needle for the YO bit and then I knit into the front of the stitch on the left needle. Then I'm left with three stitches! I don't know if that's entirely correct but it's getting the job done for me anyway!

spectorkitty
04-13-2007, 11:18 AM
DQ, it is great!

No, I just looked at that because I couldn't get my head around knitting the same stitch twice! What I'm doing is knitting the stitch but not slipping it off completely onto the next needle - so you end up with half of the stich on one needle and half on the other...then I bring the yarn forward and over the needle for the YO bit and then I knit into the front of the stitch on the left needle. Then I'm left with three stitches! I don't know if that's entirely correct but it's getting the job done for me anyway!

Oh I wish I wasn't at work so I could knit along with you! I want to make this so much but last night was so frustrating! I knit a stitch, then kept it on the needle, then brought the yarn over but I think I'm knitting behind it, if you can understand what I'm trying to say! It just doesn't look right.

cookworm
04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Cookworm...what size needle were you knitting with on the worsted weight?

The yarn gauge stated to use a size 8 (5.0mm). Typically to reach gauge, I have to go up a size needle from what gauge states, but I decided to try a size 7 (4.5mm) because the pattern uses a slightly smaller needle than the yarn gauge. The stitch definition was great, but it was really hard on my hands because the stitches were a bit tight to work into; I should've used the size 8.

cookworm
04-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks cookworm ... I am armed and ready with my completely corrected pattern ... rows 19, 20 and 29 !!!!!

The corrections for rows 19 and 20 worked great for me--I hope the correction I made for row 29 works out okay for you.

Belphoebe
04-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm using a worsted weight yarn with size 7 needles and I think it looks o.k.

:shrug:

DQ
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh I wish I wasn't at work so I could knit along with you! I want to make this so much but last night was so frustrating! I knit a stitch, then kept it on the needle, then brought the yarn over but I think I'm knitting behind it, if you can understand what I'm trying to say! It just doesn't look right.

I think I know what you mean...I saw a comment in the first thread with this pattern in the general section and someone said (I can't remember who it was) that they thought knitting into the back of the stitch didn't look right so I didn't try that.

Belphoebe
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Here is my shawl so far.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/Ahearndr/DigitalCameraPictures222.jpg

It is ready for row 29 in this picture. I'm using worsted weight cream colored yarn with size 7 needles.

debinoz
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/stitches/increase/e-index.html

At the very bottom....k,yo,k

Debbie
04-14-2007, 05:02 AM
cookworm ... :muah:
with your correction on row 29 .... ta da ... I got all the way through to row 30 .... AND .... I am finally ready for the repeat starting back at row 21 !!

I admire those of you who can read your knitting and just know what to do next. I seem to have to follow every single row stitch by stitch

Here is a hint : when you P2 (Sl 2 - k1 - p2sso) P2 (rows 19 & 29)
BE SURE to take your working yarn BACK after the first P2 and before you slip 2 ... otherwise, you will end up with an extra stitch !!!!!

Debbie
04-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Belphoebe!

Watch Amy's slip 1 - knit 1 - pass the slipped stitch over
(sl1,k1,psso) BUT ...

for this pattern, slip 2 .... then pass the knitted stitch over the 2 slipped stitches... it gets easier after you do it several times

merryknitter
04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Contiknitter,
I got my yarn yesterday and have a question for you. Did you knit row 29 as the pattern says? Or did you make a correction like Cookworm did?

I really want to know about this change in the pattern, before I start it!

Thanks everybody!

Debbie
04-14-2007, 09:32 AM
merry - the correction on row 29 ... repeat from* begins at P2 instead of the beginning of the line K4 and ends with the K4 ...

Row 29 (pattern)
*K4 (K,YO,K) K4, P2, (Sl 2 -k1-p2sso) P2 repeat from * end with CO 3 sts

Row 29 (correction)
Row 29: K4, (K, YO, K), K4, *P2, (Sl 2-k1-p2sso), P2, K4, (K,YO,K) K4 repeat from *, end with CO 3 sts

The only real change is that the repeat starts at P2 ... which makes sense if you are able to follow your stitches ... unlike me :)

Oh, and cookworm ... did I say THANK YOU !!!! :) for writing it out for me ????? :) Did I mention that my frustration level is pretty much 0 right now!!!

Belphoebe
04-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Debbie,

Holy Cow! I watched the video and that is SOOOOO much easier than what I was doing. Thanks!!!

:notworthy:

merryknitter
04-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks alot Debbie...I copied it to my pattern! How is your shawl coming along?
Thanks,

Debbie
04-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I've done 2 ... count them 2 repeats ... pix soon. It is so pretty !

cookworm
04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
cookworm ... :muah:
with your correction on row 29 .... ta da ... I got all the way through to row 30 .... AND .... I am finally ready for the repeat starting back at row 21 !!

:cheering: :cheering: Yay!!!! You did it!!!! Don't be too amazed by my ability to figure out row 29. :blush: I never would've assumed that there might've been a problem with the pattern had there not already been corrections posted for it for rows 19 and 20 (I never assume that patterns may have a mistake...just that I am the problem when things don't go right! :teehee: ). But I worked that row 29 over and over and frogged and frogged, following the directions exactly, and I knew there must be more going on than what I was doing (or not doing!), so I went back through the pattern to see if there was another row worked like it, and there was, but the first * was in a different place than row 29's was, so I figured maybe it was just a matter of moving that * to the same place that the similar row was at, and actually, that's pretty much all I did, along with looking at the previous row while I knitted row 29 to be sure that it aligned properly.

Please let me know if it works out okay now that you're onto repeating those rows--I've only done rows 1-30 as a swatch to check out the pattern because I don't have yarn for this project yet. Hopefully, it'll work out fine each time you come to that repeat. :pray:

cookworm
04-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm using a worsted weight yarn with size 7 needles and I think it looks o.k. :shrug:

I hope you didn't take what I said previously about me needing to go up a size needle personally--I am a tight knitter by nature, so I think I probably should've gone up to an 8 because I had a hard time working into the stitches, plus the yarn I was sampling this out on was a bit stiff and didn't have much give to it. I'm sure yours is really pretty!!! The swatch I did was really nice with the size 7 (it really showed the stitches off nicely because it was a tighter weave fabric), but it was hard on my hands, which is why when I'm ready to do the shawl "for real", I may switch to a size 7 or try to find a more giving yarn. Unfortunately, I knit tightly.

Belphoebe
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Nothing to worry about Cookworm. My shrug emote was basically I don't know what I'm doing, so don't take mine as gospel. :hug:

Debbie
04-14-2007, 03:17 PM
cookworm ... I have followed pattern with all three corrections three times and it works GREAT !!!! Cast On ....

This really is a good pattern to practice "reading" ... and I am not feeling like I need to use a life line.

Belphoebe
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
My shawl is getting wide enough that my straight needles won't cut it much longer. Can anyone recommend come circulars? I've used some inexpensive circulars in the past and they have mostly frustrated me due to curling and catching at the join. I've also had trouble with the needle part being too short to manipulate nicely. (I know, I'm picky.....) Any advice is helpful!

Thanks! :muah:

cookworm
04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I have a problem with the curling with any circulars, so I can't recommend any certain kind of needle that doesn't have that problem, but Addi Turbos have a VERY smooth join, and your yarn won't hook on it, though they're a little pricey. I've tried using inexpensive circulars because of the price factor and because they're readily available (there aren't too many LYS nearby) at retail chain stores, and I'm always sorry. My humble recommendation for circulars are Addis--I love them and they've never let me down.

Debbie
04-16-2007, 04:25 AM
I LOVE my KP Options ... Addi's are wonderful. If you don't want to wait for options and don't have an LYS close for Addis , I like clover bamboo and they are available at Michaels/Joanns/ACMoore etc.

My shawl is growing and growing! Now that I "got it" I am really enjoying the pattern.

Mommy22alyns
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, I've joined the KAL even though I don't yet have my Options. I just started on straights and I'll transfer it over later. I'm using the yarn in the pattern, only in a beautiful dusty purple color. It's amazing how this all comes out into a gorgeous pattern!

By the way, we're not the only ones loving this pattern. I checked out knittingpatterncentral.com and it's the featured pattern of the week! :teehee:

cookworm
04-17-2007, 12:34 PM
How is everybody planning on finishing their shawl? Are you going to just bind off after a row 30, or are you going to do a few rows of garter stitch? For those that will do the few rows of garter stitch, will you increase each row to match the gradual increases of the rest of the shawl, or will you knit straight across with the stitches that are already on the needle? (hope I explained that clearly) I found the directions listed on the pattern for the garter stitch border to be really confusing.

Amber, dusty purple sounds like it would be BEAUTIFUL!!! You'll have to post pics. I'm doing mine right now on some shorter circs and I'll have to buy a longer set when I "outgrow" this one. I'm doing mine in a pale straw yellow color, and even though there's a ton of stitches on my needle to knit (yikes!), I am really enjoying this pattern and watching it develop. I feel like a "professional" knitter because this pattern looks harder than it really is.

Belphoebe
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I think I'm in my third or fourth repeat of the pattern. It is getting more relaxing for me as it goes along, not the stress it was at first with figuring out the pattern and all. Thanks to all of you who found or made the corrections!

I honestly haven't thought about how I'll finish it. I just keep wondering how long it will take me to finish. I'm glad it will be a Christmas present! :teehee:

merryknitter
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I just started my Mom's shawl today...tried on Saturday and messed up. So, I went out in my Florida room, sat down and started knitting again today. I've gotten through all 30 rows and HAVE A PATTERN...WOOHOO!

Thanks Cookworm and Debbie for the corrections! It's going to be beautiful! And it's going to take forever...LOL! Good thing her Birthday is not until August! I'm using Plymouth Encore on size 8 needles!

This pattern is really easy...I'm a new knitter since last October and I have learned several new things on this shawl...K YO K into the same stitch and Slip 2, K, PSSO! When I first started knitting and would look at patterns, I would get so frustrated at what all those initials meant...and now I'm finally getting it! I LOVE KNITTING!

Thanks again,
Merry

P.S. I'm going to do a couple more repeats before I take a picture!

merryknitter
04-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Ok...I got thru 21-30 again! Wow! I found a mistake and fixed it...I'm so happy about that!

Along with you, I can see that I'm going to need some different needles before long. I'm using US 8 24inch, but am going to need a longer cord before long...what are you all using for your shawl?

This is a cool pattern and a challenge for me and I'm loving it! I wonder how many stitches we'll have when it's at it's final width? I like knitting with the worsted weight yarn...but if I make one for myself, I think I'm going to try the Bulky!

What happened to Contiknitter and his pictures?

If anybody retypes the pattern the correct way, I would love one...guess I could do it myself...LOL!
Happy Knitting!

Belphoebe
04-19-2007, 08:18 PM
O.k. ladies....

40 or 60 inch circulars for this shawl??? :shrug:

Mommy22alyns
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I also posted this in What'cha Knittin'?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/dnabears/knitting004.jpg

I love it!!!

Mommy22alyns
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
[If anybody retypes the pattern the correct way, I would love one...guess I could do it myself...LOL!

All I did was copy & paste the original into a Word document, then insert the changes and print the whole thing out. Big help for me! :thumbsup:

merryknitter
04-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Amber,
I want your purple shawl...I LOVE PURPLE! It is beautiful! What yarn are you using? I'll have to make a purple one for myself..LOL!

I never thought about copying and pasting...DUH!

Thanks,

merryknitter
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Amber,
How many hanks of Lamb's Pride Bulky did you get for your shawl?
Thanks,

DQ
04-20-2007, 05:22 AM
O.k. ladies....

I'd use the 60 inch. I'm going to need longer ones soon and I haven't got a longer one of the same needle size :wall:

Belphoebe
04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
That is SO beautiful! My mom's favorite color is purple and now I'm wishing I'd used it instead of cream. :wall: Maybe I will make two... :happydance:

snowbear
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Ok.. I've been following this thread,, now finally have the chance to join.. I'm making it in a DK weight using different shades of purple. I'll let you know how I'm doing.... I'm sending my yarnee ( I was in a yarn swap) this pattern along w/ 5 skeins of her favorite color to do... Hopefully she'll join! :happydance:

merryknitter
04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Ok you experienced knitters out there...I've been knitting along just fine this morning...I'm on my second repeat of the pattern...and what do I see before my eyes? The Candle Flame pattern is starting on the WRONG SIDE! I don't know how I did that! GRRRRRRRR! I really want to find out though...because I am also working on the Irish Hiking Scarf and my cables suddenly appeared on the wrong side....I've got to find out what I'm doing wrong...THE GREAT MYSTERY!

Thanks for your help!
Merry :wall: :wall: :wall:

Debbie
04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
snowbear be sure to send the CORRECTED pattern :)

Debbie
04-20-2007, 10:26 AM
You must have repeated a row twice or skipped a row ... which would put you starting a purl row on the knit side or a knit row on the purl side.

Lighting57
04-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Amber, I have four skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky. Do you think that would be enough to make this shawl? And what size needle are you using? I want to start this one too.

merryknitter
04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Debbie...I figured that's what I had done...I made a mistake and so I thought I had frogged back to row 26 and so I started with row 27...must have done one of them twice...do you hear a frog?

Oh well, isn't this the way to learn?
Ribbit, Ribbit, Ribbit!

Mommy22alyns
04-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I got my yarn in a 1 lb cone from Ebay - the auction says it's equivalent to 4 skeins and is about 500 yards total. That's on the low side of estimates for this shawl - I think Contiknitter was figuring on about 550-600.

For bulky weight, I'm using size 9 needles. I could only get so far on my straights, but my knitting teacher loaned me a pair of circs to get me through 'til my Options arrived.

My specific color is called Wild Violet - I love purple too, and it's going to be hard to give this one up!

The Ebay store I bought it from is called Oregon Trail Yarn and Books. Not my store, obviously! They shipped super fast too! :happydance:

Abbily
04-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Amber (or anyone else!), did you by any chance save the pattern when you cut and pasted and inserted the corrections? I'm pretty new at knitting, this will be my first complicated project, and I'm worried about getting the corrections in right...

I was hoping someone would take pity on me and email me the correct pattern? Pretty please? :D

cookworm
04-20-2007, 12:08 PM
O.k. ladies....

I am currently using a 24" for mine, but yeah, I'm going to need to replace it pretty soon with a longer size. I'm going to "go big" and just go with the 60", then I don't have to worry about outgrowing another set of needles. I make shawls a lot so the longer length circulars always seem to work out better for me, plus the place I'd order them from the size needle that I'm using (size 8/5mm) the price is the same for all of them, regardless of the length. I didn't figure that because I'm using a worsted weight yarn, I'm going to have to knit a lot more rows to get the same length as if I would've used the bulky weight yarn :doh: , so I'll probably wind up with a bazillion stitches on my needle by the time I'm done. :teehee:

Amber, that color purple is just BEAUTIFUL!!! :inlove: Where's everybody else's pics? :tap:

Debbie
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
The line down my "flame" is looks ... different ... than everyone else. I figured out that I am slipping as if to knit instead of slipping as to purl ... I am going to just keep on doing it that way but will change if I make another one. Will post pix soon!

cookworm
04-20-2007, 03:33 PM
The line down my "flame" is looks ... different ... than everyone else. I figured out that I am slipping as if to knit instead of slipping as to purl ... I am going to just keep on doing it that way but will change if I make another one. Will post pix soon!

Wasn't it Sally Melville that said, "Once is a mistake, twice is a problem, three times or more is a design"? Well Debbie, it seems to me that you just created a customized version of the Candle Flame Shawl! :happydance:

Okay, I'm not very good at the computer stuff, but I'm going to try to post a corrected version of the shawl pattern. I opened up a group at MSN, and I think the document comes up in Microsoft Word. I have broadband internet connection, but for those with dial-up, this document may take a deal of time to load. Anyway, here's the link below; please let me know if you can access it and how it is (I hope it helps):
http://www.msnusers.com/Cookwormsknittinggroup/Documents/Candle%20Flame%20Shawl%20corrections.doc

Braden
04-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Okay, I've made LOTS of progress on mine, and I'll post pics tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been around lately to answer some of the questions, I've been busy with school stuff. It looks like I might have to order 1 or 2 more hanks of wool, but I don't know yet.

merryknitter
04-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Debbie,
I thought that's what the pattern says to do at the very beginning! Like as if to knit two together?
Merry

cookworm
04-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Okay, I've made LOTS of progress on mine, and I'll post pics tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been around lately to answer some of the questions, I've been busy with school stuff. It looks like I might have to order 1 or 2 more hanks of wool, but I don't know yet.

What are the dimensions of your shawl so far, Conti?

Debbie
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
EDIT ... THE PATTERN DOES SAY ...like when you k2tog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry, No, I THINK ... when you slip a stitch ... it is always as if to purl unless it says otherwise. So you put your needle into the stitches like you are going to purl .. then slip them off. I have an all day "thing" today but will post a picture of mine tomorrow and show you the difference.

I like the way mine looks ... so as long as you do the same thing every time it doesn't really matter. You are still decreasing two stitches.

Debbie

Debbie
04-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Merry ..... I went back and looked at the pattern and you are right .... IT DOES SAY to do it as if you are knitting two together !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now that you mention it .... I remember thinking that I would have to remember not to do it the "usual" way...

Is everyone else slipping as if to knit ????????????? Cuz if you are ... I don't know WHAT I am doing differently !!!!!

TeenKnitter
04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, I don't think I can join the KAL at this point, but I was wondering approx. how many yard of yarn a good-sized candleflame shawl takes? I'd like to substitute another yarn, maybe WOTA, and need to know how many skeins to buy. Thanks!

cookworm
04-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey guys, I don't think I can join the KAL at this point, but I was wondering approx. how many yard of yarn a good-sized candleflame shawl takes? I'd like to substitute another yarn, maybe WOTA, and need to know how many skeins to buy. Thanks!

Teen knitter, we really don't know much yarn the shawl uses because the original pattern doesn't give yarn requirements for the bulky weight yarn they use, nor do they list dimensions. If you're subbing equal gauge bulky yarn for the Lamb's Pride bulky, I would guess you'd need maybe 500-600 yards of bulky weight yarn, but there's really no way to know for sure.

Belphoebe
04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm using worsted and have four skeins on hand...approx. 1200 yards. I want to make sure I have enough. I can always use the leftover for more blankies for my daughter's dolls or socks or something.

Thanks for the recommendations on circular lengths. As soon as payday rolls around, those 60'inch Addi Turbos are mine! :cheering:

merryknitter
04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Debbie...thanks for clarifying that...I am so just learning all these stitches and just learning how to read a pattern!

After talking to my friend at the LYS today, she seemed to think that I would NOT need the 60 inch...that the 47 inch length would be fine! So, I think I'm going to go with that!

Have a nice weekend!
Merry

cookworm
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
After talking to my friend at the LYS today, she seemed to think that I would NOT need the 60 inch...that the 47 inch length would be fine! So, I think I'm going to go with that!

Merry--I'm really glad you mentioned this! The longest size circular my LYS carries is 47", and I was bummed out, because I thought for sure I'd need a 60". Now I'll go and get the 47" because I'm almost outgrowing the circular I'm using now!

Braden
04-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Here's mine. It's about 3 feet wide and 2.5 feet long when it's not scrunched on the needle. I'm going to order a 60" Options cable to finish it.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr22277.jpg

Belphoebe
04-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Conti, that is fabulous! :cheering:

Braden
04-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Thank You! Since I started it, I hardly work on anything else, since it's a really fast knit and once you start knitting, you really can't put it down.

merryknitter
04-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow Contiknitter...it's beautiful! You mentioned School a few posts back...are you in college or high school? I am really impressed with your knitting! How long have you been knitting? In your opinion, am I going to be ok using a 47 inch cable?

Thanks,

Braden
04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Thank You! I think a 47" will be enough if you are using a worsted weight, but not if you are using bulky. I'm going to need to order a 60" cable for my Options to finish mine.

cookworm
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Conti, yours is just beautiful!!! I'm using worsted weight, so it's good to know that a 47" would be long enough.

Mommy22alyns
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Conti!!! :passedout:

That is absolutely stunning!!

I guess I'll end up needing a 60" cable as well. Darn pity I'll have to order from KP again! :teehee:

feministmama
04-24-2007, 12:46 AM
OK I picked this up again. I'm using a different yarn this time and I love it. I did the 1st set of 30 rows and the pattern says to go back to row 21 and repeat 21-30 over and over agaiin. But when I start knitting it looks kinda wrong. You know I'm purling where there are knits and stuff like that. Does that happen for other people?

Debbie
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
YES ! There are 3 rows with mistakes !!!! ... I can't remember which ones they are and I am at school with a class coming in any minute and can't go back through posts. PM me your email address and this evening I will send you a word document with corrections .... and the corrections are in an earlier post on this thread.

feministmama
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
DOH! I forgot to add three stitches on the end of row 30. Now it makes sense. Thanks anyway.

cookworm
04-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Rows 19 and 20 were discovered by another website that were found to have errors. I myself ran into problems on row 29 and altered the row, and it's worked fine for me ever since (I'm about 22" from top to bottom down the middle now into my shawl).

I made a Microsoft Word document with the corrected pattern at
http://www.msnusers.com/Cookwormsknittinggroup/Documents/Candle%20Flame%20Shawl%20corrections.doc if you would like to view it. For my own reminder, I put all of the rows where you have to cast on at the end in red, bold, and underlined print, because I kept forgetting to do these.

merryknitter
04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Cookworm,
I would love a copy of your corrected version of the Candle Flame Shawl and when I click on your link...Msn asks for an e-mail address and Password!
Thanks,
Merry

Stonington
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
ME too! :shrug: lol. It wanted me to upload a program.

anne

cookworm
04-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Bummer!!! I wish I could figure out a way to post this to the internet on its own without having to go through a service. :verysad:

Stonington
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Bummer!!! I wish I could figure out a way to post this to the internet on its own without having to go through a service. :verysad:

I could PM you my e-mail address if you would be able to send it as an attachment file. :hug: If it is convenient of course.

anne

debinoz
04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I've put the instructions here. I don't know if anyone still needs them.

I've double-spaced and put the co's on their own line...I still tick-off each row as I go.

http://whoplace.250free.com/page300.html

DQ
04-28-2007, 06:16 AM
I've put the instructions here. I don't know if anyone still needs them.

I've double-spaced and put the co's on their own line...I still tick-off each row as I go.

http://whoplace.250free.com/page300.html

Thanks! :)

I've knitted my shawl onto my new needles now. I had a very nice time with it last night and didn't make any mistakes! :cheering: I'm putting a marker in each time I reach a repeat so if I lose my place I only have to count from the marker (I get distracted a LOT). It seems to be working for me!

Mommy22alyns
04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Alright... I have 32" circs right now and have only a couple of inches left until I fill them up. Should I just jump to 60" or step up gradually? I wonder how much use I'd get out of 40" and 47" cables. :thinking:

Mine's actually starting to get heavy!! :happydance:

Debbie
04-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I am in love with mine too! So nice to spend time with :)

Belphoebe
04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Monday is payday for me and I'm getting 60" circulars. My poor circulars I have now are full and I REALLY want to knit! :wall: ARRRGGGHHH!!! Monday can't come soon enough! Wonder what I can knit until then.

cookworm
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I just finished my shawl! :woohoo: :happydance:

Here's information on my shawl:

I used a worsted weight yarn and a size 8 (5mm), 47" circular needle. I used a size 10Ĺ (6.5mm) to cast off, but I think I could've even used an 11 (8mm). I used a total of 512 yards/468m, and unstretched, the shawl's measurements wound up being about 56" across (the "wingspan"), about 27" from the middle of the shawl down to the point, and about 38" down the side (I use the term "about" in the measurements because the stitch it stretchy and it made it difficult for me to measure accurately). I did not understand the directions in the pattern on how to do their garter stitch border, so what I did was to knit six rows of garter stitch, then bind off. For some reason, my garter stitch border kind of buckled; I'm not sure what I could've done differently, and it has given the shawl a wavy appearance when it's lying flat (and it doesn't lie completely flat)--if somebody knows what could cause this to happen, please post (maybe that's why the pattern has you work the garter stitch border the way it does, to prevent the buckling?). Could using a different sized needle on the six rows of the garter stitch border prevented this perhaps? :?? Once I have the shawl on, you don't notice the waviness, though. I made two small mistakes on the shawl that I didn't know how to go back and fix, so other than that, it came out really nice. What I didn't like about it is that the reason I bound off when I did is because the length started to get to be long enough for me, but I wish the "wingspan" was even a bit longer so I can wrap it around my arms a bit more when I wear it, but maybe that's because I used worsted weight yarn? :shrug:

All in all, it was a good first attempt for me; I'm considering making one for my best friend, and I think by doing mine first, I worked out all of the bugs (so to speak) of making this shawl. It was a really fun knit and it went really fast, and it looks really "professional", and I think it looks much harder than it actually was to knit (which is always a plus in my opinion! :thumbsup: )

cookworm
04-29-2007, 10:32 PM
One other thing I forgot to add in my previous post. If I had it to do all over again, I would've gotten the 60" circulars instead of the 47" ones, but that's my personal preference (I don't know if my opinion helps anybody) because as I get closer to finishing my shawls, I like to have them extended out to their regular length or width so I can measure them (if I'm not working from a pattern) to my preferred length or width, and it's hard to do accurately when they're scrunched on the needles. But again, everybody is different and has different preferences; I just thought I would mention my own personal thoughts if it might help somebody.

DQ
04-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Wow Cookworm! It's lovely :heart: :cheering:

I've somehow managed to reverse the pattern on mine :doh: Not that I'm too upset because I'm still learning and it's not expensive yarn anyway. But I've got an extra stitch from somewhere again and I don't know what to do with it :?? I'm not going to frog though :wall:

Abbily
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Cookworm, that's beautiful!!

Mommy22alyns
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Cook, that is beautiful! :cheering: :cheering: I love the color. So you started it right on the 47" circulars? And pardon my newbie-ness, but why did you go up needle sizes to knit the garter border and cast off?

cookworm
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
So you started it right on the 47" circulars? And pardon my newbie-ness, but why did you go up needle sizes to knit the garter border and cast off?

Actually, I think I started it on 32" circulars because that's all I had at the time. :oops: Otherwise I would've started right on 47" or 60" circulars.

And I didn't go up a needle size to knit the garter border, but I'm not wondering if I maybe should have (maybe it could've remedied my problem with the top of the shawl buckling?). My garter stitch border buckled, and I think I know why. You know if you're looking at the shawl on the right side with the "flames" facing you? And all of those purl stitches that kind of get "buried" in between the flames? Well, the stitch pattern kind of "pops" out (I hope I'm explaining what I'm trying to say clearly) and bends a bit, giving the shawl its stitch definition and each flame its curvy shape. By knitting a garter stitch border, now all of those flames nearest the border are going to be forced to lie flat when they're supposed to curve and bend, while the ones underneath it are curved and bent, which is why I think the top buckled. If I could've understood how the directions were explaining on how to do the garter stitch border, maybe their garter stitch border took all of this into account and it could've prevented the buckling, I don't know.

I did go up on needle size to cast off though; I always do, because my bind offs are always VERY tight. By using a larger needle, the bind offs won't be so tight and they'll have a little more "give" to them. This way, my bind off's stretchiness matches my cast ons stretchiness more closely.

Thanks for the compliments, everybody! :aww:

Braden
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
You finished? When did you start? It's really pretty! What yarn is that?

Belphoebe
04-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Nice job! I like the color, too! :cheering:

merryknitter
04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey Contiknitter!
Can you explain that bind off on the shawl in plain English? Did you follow that on the pattern?
Thanks,

DQ
05-01-2007, 06:06 AM
I did go up on needle size to cast off though; I always do, because my bind offs are always VERY tight. By using a larger needle, the bind offs won't be so tight and they'll have a little more "give" to them. This way, my bind off's stretchiness matches my cast ons stretchiness more closely.

Oooh, I'll have to try this, my bind offs are always a bit too tight for my liking :wall: Thanks for the tip! :heart:

I've decided to bind mine off and start again :wall: I've no idea what size it'll turn out at now but I don't care, I still consider it practice!

nancydee
05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Cookworm,

The shawl is so very beautiful! I love it. And thank you so much for all your tips. I am working on mine, and am anxious to see how I will finish it with those garter instructions at the end of the pattern. Thanks for posting the picture.

And everyone else, thanks for all your input about the patterns corrections.

nancydee

pigsfly0311
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
How do you know when it's done??

It seems as if I knit and knit and knit and it doesn't get any bigger..
my kids have named it The Shawl That Never Ends... It just goes on and on my friends...

And,How do you end it, I don't really understand the border directions

Mommy22alyns
05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
So you started it right on the 47" circulars? And pardon my newbie-ness, but why did you go up needle sizes to knit the garter border and cast off?

Actually, I think I started it on 32" circulars because that's all I had at the time. :oops: Otherwise I would've started right on 47" or 60" circulars.

No :oops: here! I started mine on straights! :teehee:

I actually do understand what you're talking about with the buckling. It'll probably be so long before I finish mine that there will be tons of finishing ideas here. :oops:

pigsfly0311
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I hope I did this right...Here is mine so far

Braden
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Beautiful!

Debbie
05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I am not to the border yet ... but i think the instructions are "short rows" each time you knit back after the "turn" and knit you will be going ??? more stitches down the edge ...

cookworm
05-01-2007, 07:20 PM
You finished? When did you start? It's really pretty! What yarn is that?

I think I started on April 9. Well, I was finished, but that buckling garter stitch border is bothering me, so I may have to rip that out, and figure out what to do with it. :verysad: Thanks for the compliment!

With regards to the yarn, there were only two that I could find in that color. For whatever reason, I could only picture my shawl in that exact color--isn't that weird? I wanted something the color of sunlight, and boy, when I went outside to knit in the sun, it was really pretty! Gold/yellow is not a color that I typically wear, so I was surprised that I felt that this shawl should be yellow. Anyway, back to the yarn. The first yarn choice was something by Debbie Bliss...I don't remember which yarn, but it was like $14 for a very small ball. I kind of panicked and though, "What if I don't even finish this shawl because it's too hard???" So I went to the "retail trinity" of yarn selection (you know, Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby :teehee: ) and found this yarn at Michaels. Believe it or not, it's 100% acrylic, worsted weight. It's Red Heart brand's yarn called "Soft Yarn" (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Knitting/Medium+Yarns/Red+Heart+Soft+Yarn.htm). The yarn is incredibly soft (seems to be a direct competitor with Caron's "Simply Soft" yarn), and comes in some really pretty colors and has a nice sheen to it and a great drape. I am so incredibly pleased with the results! It was pretty economical too which I appreciated, given that I wasn't sure I'd finish the shawl, I really didn't want to throw a lot of money into it, you know? As I mentioned, I wish the wingspan of the shawl was a bit longer, but the length of it is just right, so I guess I will keep it as it is.

:arrow: Conti, are you able to make heads or tails out of the directions for the garter stitch border in the directions? Why are they telling us to cast on stitches when there are already so many stitches on the needle? The way they make it seem, it seems like we should be casting on new stitches, and never knitting up the ones on the needle.

How do you know when it's done??

I just knitted until I was happy with the length. The shawl seems to kind of pull in a bit because of the stitch, so although it looks like it's not getting any bigger, it will. Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to finish the shawl using the directions' garter stitch border. :pout: I'm hoping somebody can figure them out and post what they were able to figure out. I'd like to make one of these for my best friend while she's away on vacation, so I hope the border problem can be figured out. I tried to e-mail the pattern designer but my e-mail got returned. :verysad: I will try posting the question about the border on the "general" board and see what kind of response we get.

cookworm
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Ooooo...it IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :inlove:

What kind of yarn are you using?

cookworm
05-01-2007, 07:27 PM
How do you know when it's done?? It seems as if I knit and knit and knit and it doesn't get any bigger..
my kids have named it The Shawl That Never Ends... It just goes on and on my friends...

You know what? I just came across a web page (http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_archive.html) where there is a brief write up about the shawl as well as a nice picture of a finished one. Maybe this can give a better idea about how big to make it, although you can certainly alter the finished result by making it bigger or smaller, depending on personal preference. It's the November 24, 2004 entry.

cookworm
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Regarding the garter stitch border...I posted a question on how to do it on the "general" forum, and Dee ("five_six") responded:

No, your not short rowing, your doing a strip of 10 stitches and using the slip, knit2tog to join each row onto your current knitting, so instead of the garter running along the long edge of your shawl in a horizontal fashion, it will be vertical, so it will run at a 90 degree angle out from your shawl.

Does this help to clear up the directions?

And here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmaby/398688460/in/photostream/) is a picture of the completed shawl, and indeed, the garter stitch runs perpendicular to the shawl. Why didn't I figure this out? :doh:

cookworm
05-01-2007, 08:20 PM
There's a Yahoo Group to knit this shawl, too, if anybody is interested:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/candleflameshawl/

five_six
05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Cookworm, rather than posting this in the general forum thread, I thought I'd put it here for you... This is sorta what I might end up doing, I don't like that garter border really at all, but I don't know if what I'm thinking will work till i get to that point really. Purling may pull those last flames together too much... not sure. Anyways, this is my idea:

debinoz
05-01-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the purpose of the garter stitch border is to make a kind of collar around the neck.

cookworm
05-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Somebody put fringe on theirs. That's what's cool about knitting...everybody can make it their own design. I thought I would post the link in case somebody wanted to try this on their shawl. :thumbsup:

http://paillemaille2.canalblog.com/images/t-candleflame.jpg

And I suppose I'm not really done with my shawl as it turns out after all. After looking at all of the FO's of the shawl on line, everybody's was "beefier" than mine, so I asked my husband for his opinion. He said he thought it looked too skimpy (confirming what I feared)--and because I'm bummed about that rippling at the top of my shawl (now that I know how to work it)--I frogged the border back down to the last repeat, and I'm going to keep going until I'm truly satisfied. I want to wear this proudly and happily, and I want it to look really professional, you know?

DQ
05-02-2007, 05:02 AM
I cast off my first attempt last night and I've started again >_< Fingers crossed I can make this attempt as nice as everyone elses, no matter how short it turns out! :teehee:

pigsfly0311
05-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Ooooo...it IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :inlove:

What kind of yarn are you using?

Thank You :clink: :clink:

I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky ... 100% Acrylic

I had to do the walmart yarn shopping because I had already spent all my yarn allowance on sock yarn. I think my grandma is gonna love it... if it ever gets done that is

pigsfly0311
05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
No, your not short rowing, your doing a strip of 10 stitches and using the slip, knit2tog to join each row onto your current knitting, so instead of the garter running along the long edge of your shawl in a horizontal fashion, it will be vertical, so it will run at a 90 degree angle out from your shawl.
Does this help to clear up the directions?

I got my "practice" shawl out to work out the edge thing, I think I was making way too much of it, once I did it, I totally understood what the directions were saying

Mommy22alyns
05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Pigsfly, that helps a ton! Now I have an idea about how it's supposed to look... when I finally get there. :teehee:

Lighting57
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I saw a sweater made from this stitch pattern today at a local department store. Has anyone ran across instructions for making it in a straight length?

remclave
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
:muah: I love this pattern! I bought some sweaters from Goodwill that I hope to be able to frog. This would be a great new project to make from the recovered yarn. Otherwise I plan on making it within the next year! :D

Braden
05-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Okay, I got my KnitPicks 60" Cables to finish the shawl, and it's about half way there. About 2 weeks more to go.

Braden
05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
And here it is:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_19.jpg

I'm still knitting:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_21.jpg

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Okay, I got my KnitPicks 60" Cables to finish the shawl, and it's about half way there. About 2 weeks more to go.
One needs a 60" cable to make this shawl/wrap?

Braden
05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
A Tutorial for the Border!

-Work to the desired length and width.
-Purl one row
-Cast on 10 stitches at the end of that row:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_25.jpg
-Knit 9, slip one, Knit 2 together, pass the Knit 2 together over slipped.
-Turn, and knit across
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_28.jpg

Once you have done that a few times, you should have this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_29.jpg

When you have worked even more, you should have this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_32.jpg

If you turn your needles to a right angle, you can see how the border will lay:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_35.jpg

The border should lean inward while you are knitting it, like so:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_36.jpg

After you have swallowed up all the stitches on the shawl, you bind them off as you normally would, and you get this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_39.jpg

I hope this helps clear up the border directions for those of you that had trouble with it. If you need me to elaborate on any of the steps, I'll always do that!

hydeemarie
05-06-2007, 05:07 PM
A Tutorial for the Border!

-Work to the desired length and width.
-Purl one row
-Cast on 10 stitches at the end of that row:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_25.jpg
-Knit 9, slip one, Knit 2 together
-Turn, and knit across
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_28.jpg

Once you have done that a few times, you should have this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_29.jpg

When you have worked even more, you should have this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_32.jpg

If you turn your needles to a right angle, you can see how the border will lay:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_35.jpg

The border should lean inward while you are knitting it, like so:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_36.jpg

After you have swallowed up all the stitches on the shawl, you bind them off as you normally would, and you get this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/May06_39.jpg

I hope this helps clear up the border directions for those of you that had trouble with it. If you need me to elaborate on any of the steps, I'll always do that!
Seriously... That visual helps out SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking much! thank you :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

Braden
05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Any Time!

merryknitter
05-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Contiknitter, thank you for the tutorial! I only have a little done on my Mom's shawl...not ready for the border, but when I am, I think I actually understand this!

I cannot believe how gifted you are! AND YOU ARE SO YOUNG! I must know this...who taught you to knit? Did you teach yourself? You would be a great teacher!

Have a great week and thanks for sharing your gift with us!

DQ
05-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks Contiknitter! That's a little clearer...I think...If I ever get to the border I might do a practice swatch for it first :oops:

Quiltlady
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd love to do the knit along but if it were a scarf. Anyone know HOW to change this pattern so it could be a scarf?? I'm not that advanced enough to figure it out right now. Thanks for any help. :hug:

Braden
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
You're welcome, guys!

Edit: I'm the first one in my living family to knit, I taught myself, my grandmother, and my aunt.

hydeemarie
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
ok so did anyone else end up with a weird extra stitch anytime when you were knitting this? I did and I ripped it out and started something else! It made me mad... but i really want to do this shawl!!!!

Braden
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Uh, don't hate me, but, I never did :oops:

hydeemarie
05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
LuCkY yOu!!!!! :notworthy:

Braden
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I really don't know why I never had any of those problems. :shrug:

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Beautiful job on the shawl, Conitknitter!!! I want to make this shawl for my mom and am practically drooling over it! haha it is soo beautiful!! I can't knit it quite yet but just so i know in the future... did you use lamb's pride like the pattern called for? my LYS carries lamb's pride but was just wondering what brand you used. i'm just worried that lamb's pride may be a bit itchy... and i have never done lace type work before, is it hard? :notworthy:

Braden
05-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky, colorway Pewter. It's easy once you get the special increases and decreases down :thumbsup:

knitwit628
05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Ohh, ok!! Thank you!!! :D

Braden
05-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Any time!

hydeemarie
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
How much does the WOTA run ya?

Braden
05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, at $4 per hank, and I'm betting I'll need 7-8, that adds up to about$28-$32, depending on your tension and how big you want it to be. :shrug:

DQ
05-14-2007, 06:27 AM
ok so did anyone else end up with a weird extra stitch anytime when you were knitting this? I did and I ripped it out and started something else! It made me mad... but i really want to do this shawl!!!!

Oh I got plenty of those on my first attempt. I got so fed up with it I cast it off and started again! I must take another picture at some point...I took it to show my Nana yesterday, she said it was lovely :cheering: :oops: :heart:

Braden
05-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Yes, Pictures! I actually haven't been doing much work on mine, lately.

Belphoebe
05-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll admit, I haven't worked on my shawl as much as I probably should....but have any of you wondered if it would ever get wider? I keep knitting mine, increasing stitches as needed...no problems with the corrected pattern...but it just doesn't seem to get much wider? Any ideas? :shrug:

Debbie
05-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I keep putting in a life line, taking it off the needles and trying it on because I want it to be wide enough. It will definately have to be blocked for the proportions of length to width to look right. I think the pattern lends itself to smooshing together and blocking will help.

hydeemarie
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll admit, I haven't worked on my shawl as much as I probably should....but have any of you wondered if it would ever get wider? I keep knitting mine, increasing stitches as needed...no problems with the corrected pattern...but it just doesn't seem to get much wider? Any ideas? :shrug:
I am working on another shawl and trust me... i thought the same thing but it will defenitly get wider!! it takes some time :nails:

Braden
05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Sometimes shawls can be so :wall: because they never seem to get wider after you get to the middle. They will, though. :shrug:

DQ
05-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Pictures!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/DQ-Minx/shawl2.jpg

And close up...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/DQ-Minx/shawl2close.jpg

I'm just starting my 5th repeat :passedout:

Braden
05-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Great! Are you using Lamb's Pride Bulky?

DQ
05-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Nope just a DK weight acrylic :oops:

jeanius80
05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
these are all so pretty! dq - your knitting bag is adorable!

DQ
05-15-2007, 10:13 AM
these are all so pretty! dq - your knitting bag is adorable!

:mrgreen: I love my bag, and the best part is that it was FREE with my favourite knitting magazine! :cheering:

Braden
05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
What magazine would that be, now? ;)

DQ
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
What magazine would that be, now? ;)

http://www.simplyknitting.co.uk/page/simplyknitting

:mrgreen:

I've had the bag, a needle case and a magnetic holder (with 2 yarn needles and some pins in) as free gifts from that magazine!

hydeemarie
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice work on the shawl... that's gonna be my next project! And the knitting bag is sooooo adorable!!!! :heart: :heart:

Braden
05-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Start the shawl... You know you want to! :roflhard:

Belphoebe
05-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Join us...... :thumbsup:

hydeemarie
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Start the shawl... You know you want to! :roflhard:
:roflhard::roflhard: I just might have to. I just started a pillow, so maybe after that.. yeah... after the pillow ! :happydance::cheering:

Mommy22alyns
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Ehhhhhhxxxxcellent!! More recruits! :lol:

I just transferred mine to my 60" cables but I haven't been working on it as much as other projects. It's not portable, especially in the summer, and I do a lot of knitting in the car (while DH drives). It's big enough to be a shawl for my 2 year old. Yeah... a lot of work to do!

Did I mention my mom has already placed an order for one? :shock:

Debbie
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Here is a hint for knitting the 10 stitch edge ... which by the way is turning out very pretty on my shawl.

I am using my options. I took the needle off at the "end" of the shawl and put the round button "holder" thingy on. I am using the needle along with the needle attached to the line of shawl stitches to knit the 10 stitch edge. If you leave the other needle attached the shawl gets all twisted and you have to stop and flip it around couple of times every couple of rows. You could also just use a needle protector and a straight the same size as the needles you are using.

I am thrilled with the way my shawl is turning out. I think the blueberry Main Line really wanted to be this shawl!

Braden
05-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Great idea, Deb!

Belphoebe
06-08-2007, 11:03 AM
How is everyone doing with their shawl? :??

DQ
06-08-2007, 05:23 PM
I've got it to one side at the mo as my head won't let me do anything but simple, slow knitting >_<

Debbie
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Mine is finished and just spent a week in Denmark !

Belphoebe
06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Denmark sounds wonderful! How was it? I've been working on mine, but not as much as I should. I have been making it for my mother and we have had a major disagreement. My motivation sort of left me for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it finished sometime.

Braden
06-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, mine has been shoved to the bottom of the project pile, but I'm almost finished. A few more row repeats and then the border.

Debbie
06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
My shawl ... KP MaineLine, blueberry ... was PERFECT for the airplane and during a chilly evening walk. I love it !

Belphoebe
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Debbie, your shawl is beautiful! :inlove:

feministmama
06-13-2007, 09:59 PM
So when it comes to knitting the edge, has anyone just said screw it (or your favorite explitive) and just knit garter stitch all the way across for a few rows?

Debbie
06-14-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks Belphoebe !

Feministmama,
The edge is REALLY REALLY REALLY easy and makes it look very "finished". The only thing I don't like about the shall is that the "point" got really long and pointy in order for it to be as wide as I wanted. Blocking helped some, but wearing it with the top edge turned back it's much better, and the "edge" looks just like a collar.

I know , I know ... I need to model it.:rollseyes:

ireneb
07-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Am I the only one who can't see the pics on the tutorial??? :shrug: I'm pretty curious :thumbsup:

stirsmommy
07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I can't see them either but what I really really want to know since I haven't started this is how much yarn in bulky weight does it take?
Thanks

Arielluria
07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh maaaaaaaaaan! That's so beautiful! I think I have so many OTNs though!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I see the pic at the link on the first post here. This is it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/http://www.balart.com/flame03.gif

Braden
07-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm in the process of working up another (much better) tutorial for the border. Those photos were hosted on Photobucket, but I've since converted to Flickr, so the links would be broken. I'm editing the photos down now.l

Arielluria
07-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I just found this thread again, and had to go through 15 pages before I saw a finished shawl! (That's what I was looking for). Your pup looks adorable under that shawl. Beautiful color too!

Arielluria
07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Cookworm, rather than posting this in the general forum thread, I thought I'd put it here for you... This is sorta what I might end up doing, I don't like that garter border really at all, but I don't know if what I'm thinking will work till i get to that point really. Purling may pull those last flames together too much... not sure. Anyways, this is my idea::muah:Oooooooo I loooooooove that color variation. What kind of yarn is that? How did you get that look?

KnittingNat
09-28-2007, 03:06 AM
I just finished my shawl, and though i haven't posted in this thread, i found it very useful. Thank you everyone! So here's mine:
KnittingNat's Candle Flame shawl (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=66724)

DQ
09-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Argh I must dig mine out and finish it off :oops:

DQ
10-04-2007, 04:51 PM
2 more rows down...LOTS more to go! :passedout:

Braden
10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Argh I must dig mine out and finish it off :oops:

I do too! Mine has been going for so long that I don't even remember when I started it.

DQ
10-12-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm going to take mine on holiday with me. It really needs some attention! :oops:

Stonington
10-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I just finished my shawl, and though i haven't posted in this thread, i found it very useful. Thank you everyone! So here's mine:
KnittingNat's Candle Flame shawl (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=66724)

Your shawl came out wonderful.. such perfect stitches... love the color :heart:

anne

feministmama
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Someone asked about this pattern in another thread and I don't think I ever posted my finished product. Here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8323551@N08/1500239333/

Lighting57
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Can anyone tell me the approximate weight or amount of worsted weight or DK weight yarn they used to make their Candle Flame Shawl? I want to start one, but I need to know how much yarn to buy. Thanks.

jca2lea2
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello,
I have been reading about ladies having trouble with row #29 & 30 of the candle flame pattern.
I got the correction for row 29, haven't tried it yet, but does the correction make row 30 work. It didn't have enough stitches either.
I have gotten as far as everyone else, and Iam determined to get it, it is so beautiful
Caroline

KnittingNat
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Hello,
I have been reading about ladies having trouble with row #29 & 30 of the candle flame pattern.
I got the correction for row 29, haven't tried it yet, but does the correction make row 30 work. It didn't have enough stitches either.
I have gotten as far as everyone else, and Iam determined to get it, it is so beautiful
Caroline

Hi and welcome!
this the correction appearing on Ravelry for row 29:
Row 29: K4, (K, YO, K), K4, P2, (Sl 2-kl-p2sso), P2 repeat from NOTE! you wonít have enough sts left on the needles to complete the last repeat, so after the second K4 just end by CO 3 sts

I think it should fix row 30 as well. HTH

jca2lea2
02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you so much I will give it a try.
Caroline

yarncharmer
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I really like this pattern! But I have the same question the person in March 08 had - how much yarn does this take? I didn't want to wade through 25 pages of old posts, and the linked pattern doesn't say...

thanks!

KnittingNat
02-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I really like this pattern! But I have the same question the person in March 08 had - how much yarn does this take? I didn't want to wade through 25 pages of old posts, and the linked pattern doesn't say...

thanks!
I checked Ravelry (what a great source it is!) and saw that the ones using worsted weight used between 200-400 gr depending on the size of shawl you want, the needles you use and your particular gauge. HTH

yarncharmer
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
thanks KnittingNat! I don't know why I didn't think of that...