PDA

View Full Version : Magallanes yarn: what should I make?

VictoiseC
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Well I picked up 3 skeins of this crazy coloured Magallanes yarn. It's pretty heavy wintery stuff. I'm thinking a little vest maybe but I don't knoooooooow!

I have 3 X 242 yds... almost 750 yds. Do you see this being something great other than a vest?!

Oh the other thing is the garter stitch in the swatch really looks great. Garter stitch patterns?

psammeadred
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Haven't a clue what to do with it, but that is some GORGEOUS yarn! I'd never heard of that brand.

iza
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Ohhh I love this yarn! :heart: How beautiful! I think the anthropologie-inspired capelet uses chunky weight yarn, no? A little vest would be nice too, though!

Mulderknitter
04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
it made me think of nice heavy winter socks that you can pull way up :heart:

VictoiseC
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
"where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain" :rofl:

Yeah, it's pretty alright, it's weird too. I think it's a fairly new yarn, it's from Chile. Oh geez, I just went to the link on the label and found this:

http://knittingfever.com/knitpatterns.asp?manu=Araucania&yarn=Magallanes&prodid=4562&prodtype=yarn&detail=no&patid=3306

Hm. Looks like the top is my yarn but not the bottom. Strange pattern.

Socks would be nice but I have so many yarns where I only have one or two skeins so I've got to use up this 750 yards on something bigger!

P.S. Iza, where's that capelet? should I google it?

VictoiseC
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Oh my god, check this :

http://knittingfever.com/knitpatterns.asp?manu=Araucania&book=Araucania+Leisure&prodid=5514&prodtype=book&detail=yes&patid=3321

I think that's the yarn...

iza
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Here it is, Victoise!

http://peonyknits.blogspot.com/2005/11/anthropologie-inspired-capelet-fo-and.html

A few people have done it here on KH and it looks great, I'm tempted to try it myself... soon. Once all my other WIPs are done... :oops:

VictoiseC
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
OH Iza thanks! I just tuned in and went to the link. That is really sweet! I might just make that.... !

brendajos
04-11-2007, 04:14 PM
i got that color too. I think it is destined for a felted SOMETHING just not sure what. I got another too but i think they are kind rough so a felting we will go! :happydance:

VictoiseC
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
hi brendajos! I was lucky, this yarn has a $12.50 price tag on it and I paid, I think it was $3 a skein. I always run into this new shop in NY called The Point because they have a basket way in the back of the store with heavily discounted yarns, just a few, but I've got a few winners there.

It is kind of rough isn't it? Do you think it would soften up with a washing?
I actually am just casting on.... I swear I've been going nuts looking for the right pattern for this yarn... I want something with some SEED stitch in it to show the colors off.... I want to use my size 9 needles! and I don't want it too tight like a shrug but loosey goosey and airy. And little. I changed my mind on the vest, coz my arms always cold...

and although I liked Iza's suggestion I think I'm going to make this, it meets all my requirements. (I don't like anything tight around the neck) Oh, you know a felted messenger bag might be really neat with this stuff. That was my other choice. Or smaller bag) P.S.. what do you think of this pattern? looks like it might be comfortable

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5198729,00.html

VictoiseC
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
P.S. It just occurred to me that on the label (strange) it says Dry Cleaning recommended. Then, OR COLD water. So, that sounds like if you felted it the colors would wash out. yup.

Brandilyne
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I just bought some of the same yarn! I was planning on felting it, so please let me know if you do and how it goes. It didn't even occur to me to worry about the dye running, so I guess I'll test it first??

And I love the colors in your sample, mine is much darker (even though I think it's the same as yours, 304?) and has too much green in it :verysad:

VictoiseC
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi Brandilyne! Yes it's pretty isn't it... I wasn't sure at first but it's knitting up really pretty. When you're watching it knit up I had this feeling of swimming in some beautiful water somewhere! Mine is 304 also. But I'm not felting, I'm doing that little shrug or actually it's more like a little loose sweater with short sleeves. I don't think it would be good for felting because the label says Dry Cleaning suggested or cold water. And you can't felt in cold water.

What are you going to make? It's taken me months to figure something out with this yarn (I only have 3 skeins).

Green Eyed Knitter
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
I LOVE that colorway! I was reading about this yarn on The Knitting Zone and it said that Magallanes felted beautifuly. I'd have a hard time deciding between felting it and making something I could wear - it looks like gorgeous stuff!

Gail

Brandilyne
04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Victoise, I really wanted to make either a Booga or another felted bag I saw on helloyarn with the Magallanes so I was a bit dismayed when I read the whole "cold water" thing. It never even occurred to me to look at that so I was glad you mentioned it!

After reading GEK's mention of it on theknittingzone, I went a googlin' and it seems that several people have felted with it so maybe it will be ok?

I really hope so as I don't have enough to make a cute cardigan like you :) Plus, I'm just not as fond of my colorway as yours, there is just too much kelly green in mine and hardly any lighter shades. Boo.

I'm off to a knitter's night out at one of our LYS's, what do you bet I come home with at least 3 or 4 new yarn goodies??

rmturtle
04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
hey! i got that yarn too as a present from my sil! i love it, but it's been sitting in my stash for something good. i love to just look at it because it's so bright and cheery.

will you post a picture of whatever you make? i'd love to see it!!!

wiredqs
04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=181683
This is a very easy jacket, you should have enough yarn.