PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Etiquette

kindermen
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I am a fairly new to knitting and need some etiquette advice.I am a registered nurse and will be attending a seminar this week. I was wondering if it would be rude to knit during the seminar?
Thanks!!!

Abbily
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
I think it depends on whether it would be distracting. If you need a pattern, and you have to spread out several things, it might be distracting. But if you can do it all in your lap or out of your bag, and can still pay attention to the seminar, I think it's fine! Besides, bring it anyway- then if you decide when you get there that you're not comfortable with it, you can always pull it out on your breaks! :)

Julie
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
My general rule of thumb is: if a gathering is small enough that a presenter would notice my knitting, then I ask ahead of time if it would bother them. If it's really big (lecture or something) I wouldn't be too worried about it. :D

newamy
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I too am an RN and haved attened many seminars. I would not consider knitting during them. Not because of etiquette but because I would be taking notes, watching slides, trying to learn something. I guess I would consider the seminar "work" particulary if I am getting paid to be there which has usually been the case. But in regards to etiquette the presenter usually travels all over the country to be there and ususally is an expert in what ever the subject is and deserves undivided attention. Not to mention seminars are expensive and one should try to get all they can out of it. I have never seen anyone knit or crochet or do any other hands on hobby at a seminar.

I would not hesitate, however, to knit on the lunch break particulary if it is a long one. Or before everything begins-because sometimes if you manage to arrive early there is a wait till it begins.

psammeadred
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
If you do take your knitting, try to sit toward the back. You don't want to be a distraction to the speaker or the other attendees. (Believe me, I've had a few seminars where I wished I had my knitting!!!)

1knittychick
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree. Someone may consider it rude during the actual speaking/presentation/etc. However, work on it during breaks. This is what I've done in the past when I go to teacher workshops.

feministmama
04-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Hmmmm......I knit during class, meetings, movies, you name it. I have yet to have someone tell me to not do it. Oh no wait, I lied. One time at a women's consciousness raising session, someone asked me to stop, it was too distracting. We were sitting in a circle facing each other. She was totally nice about it too. But most of the time no one even notices me.

I'd say if you are in a big enough room of people in stadium style seating kinda thing and maybe the lights are out, I would go for it. If its a more intimate setting with jsut a few people around a table, i would just ask folks "Hey, do y'all mind if I knit while we talk?" and see what happens. :shrug:

letah75
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I have taken my knitting often to work training and knitted up a storm. I think if you're going to knit it's really personal preference and situational.

Knitting_Guy
04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I've presented at a good many seminars, meetings, and training sessions over the years and frankly I would be highly offended to see someone knitting during my presentation.

Eloewien
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
As a tech trainer with SEVERE adult ADD, I understand that some people have difficulty learning without something to fidget with. My policy is always that as long as the rest of the class doesn't find it distracting and they can answer questions when asked, I don't care what they fidget with. That's just me... I've actually changed opinions on this, because they used to think no one could fidget without being too distracted. I'm the opposite-- if I'm sitting still, I'm going out of my mind and can't focus on anything. Give me a basic knitting project and I'll remember every bit of what you throw at me.

I guess some of us just learn very differently... especially those of us with ADD. I can understand that what I'm doing might be distracting (at which point I'll pull out a sudoku puzzle) but I have to fidget with something!!

dakatzmeow
04-09-2007, 10:44 PM
i agree with taking your knitting to fill in breaks and lunches.

as a side note, it always amazes me how many RNs do needlework, myself included. :heart:

GinnyG
04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm an RN too!!!

I think it depends on the seminar. For the most part I would not knit during a seminar. Buty I have been at large seminars where there was alot of "fluff" speakers and I would not hesitate to knit.

I OFTEN take my knitting to various meetings, no one has ever said a work or acted like it was odd.

Last night at my knitting class one of the students, who is an instructor at a local massage school, said that they allow students to knit during paticular lectures.

sig
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I've presented at a good many seminars, meetings, and training sessions over the years and frankly I would be highly offended to see someone knitting during my presentation.

Im with you... you can find another time to do your knitting (lunch break)

Kaydee
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Im with you... you can find another time to do your knitting (lunch break)

I agree, IMHO its rude to be doing something while a person is trying to make a persentation to a group. I would bring it and save it for breaks in the confrence.