PDA

View Full Version : First handspun yarn!

Jess_knit
04-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I just got my drop spindles and some blue faced leicester roving today, and immediately set about making my first yarn...this is what I came up with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/doggyfan33/Singles.jpg
My first singles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/doggyfan33/DSC01347.jpg
My first skein

The plying isn't very nice..I had all kinds of trouble with the yarn spinning together without my doing it :teehee:

I have no idea what I can do with 19 grams, 11 yards of bumpy yarn, but I made it!

Next goal: to dye some roving myself.

Julie
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
:cheering:

kemp
04-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Looks fantastic for your first attempt! Are you hooked now?

Jess_knit
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks!

I am definitely hooked! I have a couple spindle books waiting to be ordered off amazon, and plans to save up for a wheel (not being able to try any, I think I'll get the Fricke S-160.)

Spinning has the same awesome feeling of knowing you just made something completely unique that I get when I knit. I love it :teehee:

Julie
04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
:cheering:

I love my Fricke! :heart:

Just wait until you knit something with your handspun...what a great feeling! I keep looking at the socks I'm knitting and thinking, "a few weeks ago that was a big ball of fluff!" :D

Leah22b
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Congrats! :cheering: :cheering:

I think it came out wonderfull for a first time. :happydance:

samm
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm waiting for my spindle to arrive! I'm so jealous that you have actually made your own yarn!!! Soooooooonnn....... It looks very pretty to me. Can you spin more? It would make lovely mittens, but then, I live in cold old Canada. I don't know where you are, so maybe mittens are not in the plan. You did well! :cheering: I sure hope I can spin first time I try it! I can't wait!!! samm

samm
04-28-2007, 05:59 PM
My spindles came today!!!! Yup! About an hour ago. I bought two because I didn't know which I'd like better. :teehee: I bought roving from the farm's alpacas and a wee bag of bright yellow beautiful lincoln sheep wool to try. I'm a tad bit worried about trying this though, just from internet photos. It seems too simple and too hard at the same time! I do want to spin, though, and this will make mittens or socks or something if I can do it. Wish me luck folks! samm

whimzypinzycreations
04-28-2007, 09:20 PM
oh WOW! that is beautiful!!
:cheering: great job!

my first attempt was with merino/tencel... lol I did not know that was not a good choice for a beginner lol lol