PDA

View Full Version : Have you used Artyarns Regal Silk?

SabrinaJL
04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Tell me about it! How does it feel? Is it nice to wear? Is it nice to work with with?

I've been wanting it so bad but just couldn't talk myself into spending that much on it. But DH just spent a chunk of change on useless crap, which gives me an excuse to finally buy it. :roflhard: So I'm thinking I'll probably buy 10 hanks of it. But I can only get it online and have never seen or touched it in real life. So I need info.

syndactylus
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I haven't knit with it, but I've touched it.
It very much has that weird insistent texture that nice silk has, so I bet it's very nice if you like that.
And it felt smoother in the sample knit than in the skein or whatever you call it.

aineepooh1
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
is it 100% silk: I have only knit with DB alpaca silk but absoutely :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: it .. it had SUCH a wonderful feel to it~ :passedout:

is it a blend of silk and another yarn?

cmk
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I've used Regal Silk for a couple of projects and loved working with it.

What are you making?!

Carolyn

Kirochka
04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Sara Jayne directed me over to this thread: I got a skein of Regal Silk to make a hat for a friend of mine who's having chemo, and it knitted up into an amazingly soft fabric, just as I'd hoped - I loved it so much I got more and made hats for my parents, and still have more to make them for DH and myself. It is certainly not cheap (I got some from Webs and some from this eBay seller (http://stores.ebay.com/Yarnbow)) - but it's gorgeous stuff if you're in the mood for a splurge. Plus it's worsted weight, which to me makes it very versatile. And I agree, it's lovely to work with.

Kirochka
04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh, and here's what one of the hats looks like - it's color #115, "Reds of Many Shades."

cando
04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
It's soft, shiny and drapes well. I love the colors too. But it is 100% silk, so it feels like silk. Very different from wool/wool blends.

I love the yarn, but personally I wouldn't make long sleeved sweaters with it because all that shiny fabric won't appeal to me. I like it better in lacy tanks or short sleeved dressy style top.

SabrinaJL
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Actually, I really have no specific plans for it. It's just that the colors are soooo pretty and I love silk, so I figured I'd like it. I thought maybe Annie Modesitt's corset top or Butterfly from the spring 07 Knitscene.

Eloewien
04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm doing the corset top in Berocco Softwist-- I love that pattern!

SabrinaJL
04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Ok, so apparently I want this yarn REALLY bad. Last night I dreamed that I went up to visit my sister. While I was there I went to a yarn store and they had only ONE hank of Regal Silk for sale. I bought and and just loved it. Think that's a sign? :roflhard:

cando
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
that is SURELY a sign! :teehee:

which online store were you planning to buy it from?

candicane
04-11-2007, 02:46 PM
It is on sale here:

http://www.sarahsyarns.com/AYRegalSilk.html

candice

SabrinaJL
04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I was going to order from FabulousYarn.com, but THAT is a really good deal. Have you bought anything from there before?

brendajos
04-11-2007, 03:15 PM
i have heard VERY good things about sara's yarn but haven't personally ordered from them.

and i am officially :!!!: for posting that sale link! :wall:

yeah i reeeeeeeally need more yarn but i have been loving on that stuff for a while too! :wall:

SabrinaJL
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
That was just too good a deal to pass up. I ordered 10 hanks of it. I figure even if I don't like it (which I highly doubt), I can sell it on Ebay.

mwedzi
04-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Sarah's Yarns is great. Fast shipping, good communication, and very good prices even when not on sale. I think I will order a few of the Supermerino to make a short sleeved top. At $5.25, it's a steal.

kristinw
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Darnit! I had to get some. I got 3 hanks in color 130 - pretty soft pink and brown. I almost got 6 but they were out of the other color. :pout: These sales are killing me. I am so weak!

SabrinaJL
04-12-2007, 05:45 PM
It's not your fault. The colors are gorgeous and pretty much compel you to purchase them. :teehee: I told my daughter I wanted 2 hanks of every color. She said I was out of my mind.

kristinw
04-12-2007, 05:51 PM
tell me about it! I decided I didn't get enough and got 4 more in a different color!

cando
04-12-2007, 09:13 PM
All thanks to Nikki who posted the sale price, I ended up over there too :wall: :muah:

I got 6 hanks of the silk in 119 (olive and brown) and 8 of the supermerino in 214 (dusty pink). That was last night, and as of this morning it was already shipped and I got 3 different notifications!

What awesome customer service.