PDA

View Full Version : Online yarn stores...who do you order from the most?

figaro
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I am sure that I am not alone in this. The closest LYS is about 30 minutes away and with the 3 kids home for spring vacation, well there is just no way I can get there until at least the weekend! And I am getting sick and tired of going to Micheals and seeing their VERY limited selection of yarns, I am in the middle of a dishcloth kick and they only have 3 or 4 colors of Sugar n Cream, no other cottons there at all. So I decided that if I am going to increase my stash, I need to order online. I am just not sure where to go, I have WEBS and Knitpicks bookmarked but I want to look at some others and I am finding the smaller sites that don't have what I really want.

So where do you go online to order your yarns?

Abbily
04-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I like ebay myself, but you have to know what you're looking for and what is a reasonable price for it, and take into consideration what the seller is charging for shipping/handling. I also like discountyarnsale.com, elann.com, and discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com

Eloewien
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Yarn.com (Webs) and knitpicks and katsara yarns (www.katsarayarns.com) are my three current favorites. The last is hand-dyed yarns in wonderful colorways... if I weren't broke, I would order more!!

Kaydee
04-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I've only ordered online from Knitpicks, but I love them! You can't beat the price and can get some very nice yarn.

Jax3303
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I order from Knitpicks the most. the others I really like are elann.com, Kyarns.com & kpixie.com.

I haven't had good luck with webs (yarn.com) Nothing bad about them, I've just had not good luck ordering from them. I've placed 3 orders from them, the first one went fine. the second, I recieved an email 3 (business) days after placing my order saying what I ordered was backordered (despite the site saying they had 40 hanks of it) and would take 4-6 weeks for them to get more. I didn't want to wait a month and a half for it, so I canceled the order. I placed that same order with kyarns.com the same day I canceled the webs order, and 2 days later I had my yarn. The third order I placed Friday. Yesterday (monday) i got an email saying part of my order (alearn to spin kit) is backordered (again despite it saying 'in stock' on the site) and they will get more in in about 3 weeks. I'm dissapointed, but I'm okay waiting this time. I just wish they were more accurate about updating their site.

jjminarcik
04-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I ordered my first online yarn just last week from knitpicks. The price was great and the service was even better. They get my vote! :thumbsup:

kemp
04-10-2007, 12:30 PM
There are lots of good ones...all depends on what you are looking for. Since you mentioned Sugar n Cream, joanns.com has that!

orcoastknitter
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
At least your drive is 30 minutes. Depending on what direction I go it could take up to an hour and 15 minutes to a decent LYS for me. I have used Knit Picks and Webs. Never had a problem with either. I just placed an order with Little Knits.

If you are looking for sugar and cream try Knitting Warehouse (http://www.knitting-warehouse.com\). They carry mainly Patons, Bernat, Red Heart, Caron and Lion Brand.

aineepooh1
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Well as far as sugar n cream : hobby lobby and joann's has boocoo (like Kemp said) and my HL has a kit that has 3 BIG skeins of SnC in 14, 16, 14 oz ( 3 skeins) for $20 .. if i would had my coupon it would be 12$ I am probably gonna buy some more this w/e becaus i am practicing knititng/ crochet dishocloths with it.. they also have 2 oz skiens that have multiple colors
anhoo: I have orderd from little knits and I :heart: their prices but they do tend to run about 1-2 weeks with shipping. I have never ordered from KP but everyone here :heart: em to death.
I have also found a place called yarnbythebag.com they sell bagged yarns ( all kinds) and they had good prices too ( the bag ran from 6 skeins to10)
good luck~ let us know what you get..
we :heart: P0rn around here~! :roflhard:

Mommy22alyns
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I've bought from Ebay (specific yarns I knew I needed), Joann, and Smiley's (www.smileysyarns.com). I don't even think I have a LYS in this town; mine is a good 45 minutes away and my daughters don't stand for much yarn shopping. Smiley's is great for inexpensive experimentation though!

uplate6674
04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I order most often from joann.com and knitpicks. I like elann.com for inexpensive yarn, too.

And for high-end splurge yarns, I like Artfibers.com (the Kyoto is to die for).

Paws4Knitting
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
With JoAnne's, you can use their coupons and if you sign up for email, you can recieve them that way too; they always have free shipping coupons.

I just ordered some yarn from Knitpicks as well.... I'll let you know what I think. Although, being a newbie and following the other's advice- I can't imagine I'll be let down!!!!!

Braden
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I mainly use Knit Picks. Other than that, Malabrigo, and Webs Valley Yarns Stockbridge. So, for me, Knit Picks and Webs.