PDA

View Full Version : My son's felted bag

feministmama
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
So here's a before and after pic. THe bag before was 16x20 inches with reeeeally long handles cuz I thought that felting shrinks more lengthwise than width wise. But then the afte measurements went down only about 7 inches in length on the handles. THey were still reeeeeeeally long so I tied a knot in them. But I think he did good for his first felting project. It only took him a year or so :roll:

feministmama
04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey where's my after picture? :?? Let's try that again.

newamy
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I've only felted two items. The first was the famous Booga Bag and I made it out ot lambs pride worsted. I think with 5 minute checks during agitation it took only 15 minutes then I rinsed and spinned.

Then I made a very large tote bag, the Suki Bag from knitty, for my niece out of Cascade 220. But during the knitting our washer broke and we got a new front loader. I ended up just running it through an entire hot cycle and it did felt. The stitches were a bit more visable than on the other one but Cascade is not as fuzzy as Lambs Pride. Both items shrunk in length sufficiently. And the tote bag came out very close to the patterns finished measurements.

I think your sons felted bag looks good.

jodstr2
04-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I just keep going (keep resetting the washer back to the highest agitation session) 'til it looks felted enough. the clogs seemed to take the longest, but the bubble bags weren't too bad.

that's a good looking bag! congrats!!! :hug: :cheering: :heart:

Jan in CA
04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
He did a great job!! :cheering:

I couldn't really answer your question because the answer really is "it depends"... on how much you want it felted, what yarn you are using, what washer you are using, etc...

Jill A.
04-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I really think it depends on the yarn. I felted a small bag earlier today, along with a small flower to stitch onto the bag. The bag was Patons, and felted in about 10 minutes. The flower which is knit out of Lion yarn, is on it's second run of 15 minutes (about 25 min. so far), and still not where I want it. I'm glad I didn't sew the flower on before felting!

SandraEllen
04-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Very nice! I've knotted up handles before too. I think that the I-cords just don't shrink that much in length.. :shrug:

but it felting time depends on a lot of things... how hot the water is, if I hand dyed the yarn, what kind of yarn it is...
sometimes it's really fast and soemtimes i feel like i wasted a whole evening in front of the washer. :shrug:

feministmama
04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Whew! I thought there was some magic spell to felting. I'm glad so many of you replied with "depends"

Kaydee
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I've never felted anything, but your bag looks great! :cheering:

sara_jayne
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
It does look wonderful for his first felting project! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

When I make the Lucy bags the handles rarley felt much. The fabric becomes dense but they do not loose much size at all. I've had to cut handles and sew them together before because they haven't felted enough. It does depend on SO much!

Abbily
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Great job!! My first (and only) felting project was the booga bag made from Noro Kureyon, and it took FIVE complete washes to get the goofy thing felted! Even at that, I can still see the stitches somewhat... but I was TIRED of felting by then! :)

AmandaC
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a front loader and it usually takes about 2 runs through to felt properly.

Lisa1216
04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
His bag looks great!! :cheering: I made a few of the Fibertrends Maggies Totes and the first time made the handles as per the directions. They never felted in length, just got a little narrower. For the second bag, I made them the size I wanted them to be, and they ended up just fine. The straps just don't seem to felt as much as the bags do.

syndactylus
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
it only takes my washer one time, but usually the things I felt come out looking pretty sorry themselves and I have yet to like the way knitted straps come out at all.
exciting colors! especially for a boy to have picked them.

dewdrops
04-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Nice bag, nice colors! :cheering:

AnotherBecca
04-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Wow, he did a great job!

carmabelle1191
04-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Your son did great job, even if it did take him a year or so! Good things come to those who wait. And that bag is a good thing! I love the colors. Too bad about the handles though, but I can't really help you on that. I've only felted once before and that didn't work out too well (probably because I have a front loader).