PDA

View Full Version : If a pattern calls for finger weight yarn...

dustinac
04-11-2007, 09:06 AM
but you wanna use lace weight.. how much more yardage do you need? :teehee:

I'm getting ready to start a shawl that calls for 4,275 yards of finger weight yarn... but found a lace I like really well... only thing is I can only get 4,380 in this one color way I really really like.. would that be enough :shrug:

TIA :happydance:

Jan in CA
04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure, but one thing about a shawl is it's okay to make it a few inches shorter or longer. You may have to do a gauge swatch to determine how much you'd need for sure. :shrug:

dustinac
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks.. not sure what I'm going to do.. the shawl is knit in the round..the final measure of the shawl is 72"... I'm not sure I can judge that on the circular needle to know when to stop.. I did find another lace that I know would give me enough so I might go that way.. only thing is I won't be able to use my options.. which means I will have to buy the Addi lace needles.. *darn*... :rofl:

mwedzi
04-15-2007, 09:41 AM
That sounds like one enormous shawl. Literally blanket sized, maybe like a queen sized bed blanket. I know of many decent sized shawls made with 1500 yards of lace or less, so I think 4300 will get you plenty far. What is this shawl, out of curiosity?

dustinac
04-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Thank you, I went ahead and ordered a different yarn cause I wasn't for sure.. figured I better be safe than sorry :teehee: It's the civil war shawl (http://fibermill.yurtboutique.com/shawl2.htm) .. I talked mom into joining the June Kal with me since I'll be home a lot this summer... I wanted to go ahead and get my yarn and everything though and be a little bit ahead of mom so I can help her if she needs me to.. lol mom has only been seriously knitting since December.. before that it was just Grandma's dish rags... she has made a felted bag and prayers shawl since then... she is nervous about it but I know she will do fine.. :teehee:

Susan P.
04-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Glorious image but it is very large. Given the patterning etc I think it best you did what you did with the yarn purchase.