PDA

View Full Version : Booga Bag Yarn Choices

luv2knit
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I am interested in making a booga bag, but not sure what yarn to get. I had planned on using Patons SWS yarn...but after reading that it felts a lot more that other yarns...I am curious if I should use the yarn suggested or something else? From experience what are good choices for yarn???

AmandaC
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
KnitPicks WOTA felts well - you would have to make your own stripes though.

dink
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I haven't made the booga bag yet, but I just bought (and received) the yarn for it after asking around here. Many people have used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes yarn, and that's what I bought. From what I've read/been told, it felts great, and it's cheap too. It does not have stripes in it however, but, you can make your own with colors you'd like!

http://www.knitpicks.com/Wool+of+the+Andes_YD5420103.html

SabrinaJL
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I used SWS and it turned out really great. You just have to watch it closely. It only took about 10-12 minutes to felt to the right size. Here's a pic. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/booga_151.jpg)

cando
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm using Cascade 220 and I like it so far. My not-quite-booga bag is about 3/4th finished, and then I need to felt it.
Personally, I prefer solid colors so I have control over the color work.

Happy felting!

auburnchick
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you making the black sheep booga bag? I used the Noro color recommended in the pattern. It turned out very, very pretty (picture posted in Whatcha Knitting forum). I'm looking forward to making another bag in the three skeins of the same yarn, different color that I have.

Sanibelle
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I have made a bunch of Booga bags - all but one out of Noro Kuryeon. They all came out great except for the one that I did not use the Noro yarn.

There are so many colorways to chose from with the Kuryeon so if you get that I would stick with it.

Just my opinion......

Lynn

TeenKnitter
04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Someone said Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, is that bulky or regular I would use?

Thanks!

dink
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Someone said Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, is that bulky or regular I would use?

Thanks!

I just bought the regular. Haven't tried it out, but that's what I bought based on others suggestions.

luv2knit
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Are you making the black sheep booga bag? I used the Noro color recommended in the pattern. It turned out very, very pretty (picture posted in Whatcha Knitting forum). I'm looking forward to making another bag in the three skeins of the same yarn, different color that I have.

Yes, that would be the one. I saw yours it was beautiful! (There is a gallery of bags here (http://www.boogaj.com/photos/kureyon_bag_gallery//index.html) that has quite a variety of color combos.)

I do like all the colorways that Noro has to offer, and I also like all the colors that KP has for WOTA! Lots of beautiful choices!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :cheering:

dink
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
(There is a gallery of bags here (http://www.boogaj.com/photos/kureyon_bag_gallery//index.html) that has quite a variety of color combos.)

I do like all the colorways that Noro has to offer, and I also like all the colors that KP has for WOTA! Lots of beautiful choices!

That's a lot of Booga's! :inlove:

Don't look at the WOTA yarn for too long. Thinking of all the different patterns, and color combos can make a person go :zombie: thinking of all the different Booga possibilities!

Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything.... :blush:

luv2knit
04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Don't look at the WOTA yarn for too long. Thinking of all the different patterns, and color combos can make a person go :zombie: thinking of all the different Booga possibilities!

Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything.... :blush:

Too late... :teehee:

michellebreton
05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Can anyone tell me just how many yards a Booga takes? I see for the Noro it calls for three balls which is just over 300 yards, but could I get away with two of the WOTA which would be about 280 yards? Just how much of that last skein gets used?

Michelle

Brandilyne
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
michelle, I would say it depends on how big you want your bag to be. I increased the stitches on both booga bags I've made because I wanted them to be a bit bigger. If you go with Patons SWS, I would definitely suggest using at least a full 300 yds, as it does felt quickly as a poster up thread mentioned. What I liked about the Patons SWS was that it made such a nice sturdy fabric. I also have used Plymouth Galway (two full skeins at 210yds each?) and mixed in some wool blend novelty yarn to make the stripes. If you can find Patons Classic Merino on sale it also felts very nicely.

I hope to make one out of Noro someday when I find it on sale, as I think the colorways are gorgeous. But it can also be a blast to make up your own color combos!

If you decide to use a different handle instead of the icord, you would probably be ok with the 280 yds in WotA for the bag alone.

michellebreton
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Brandilyne,

I was initially looking at the WOTA bulky hand dyed which is 137 yards for $5.99, but I think I'll go with the regular WOTA which is 110 yards for only $1.99 and make my own color scheme.

Michelle

sue in canada
05-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I have just felted a booga bag this morning made with Knitpicks WOTA. I used a mix of 4 balls and have some yarn left over. I made the bag a bit wider and not quite as tall. It is now drying. It looks pretty good. It felted very quickly, so watch carefully.
Good luck