PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: College housing!

PCwombat
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
[Okay, trying again. This time in the right forum section.]

I'm just sooooo excited right now and I wanted to share. At my college, one of the most stressful times is room selection, which is coming up in a week. But, I don't have to worry now!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: Cause, I got into this new special interest housing. Basically, the goal of it is for the residents to come up with projects or ideas that will get more college kids involved with the community and vice versa.

One of my ideas is to start a knitting group for college and community members. I know a bunch of people in the college who knit, and I'm sure there are just as many people in town. So, I can't wait to start that next semester. I'm sure I'll be posting here for ideas come September.

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: No lottery/room selection for me!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Jan in CA
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
That's an excellent idea! Good for you!

dink
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
:happydance: Congrats! That can definately be a stressful time. I never experienced it, since I didn't go "away" to college, but I know several friends that were nervous during the room selection/lotto time.

RiverDaughter
04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Ugg, I wish I had to worry about room selection. At my college getting an apartment is a lot cheaper, as the dorm rooms, even shared, were $7-800 a month. :!!!:

But I'm glad you got through the stressful rooming time in one piece! :hug:

amishgirl281
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh you lucky duck! We're about to start that in two weeks and my current roomate and I are stressing, trying to figure out how to try and stay together. But good luck with that knitting group :) Sounds like loads of fun.

amishgirl281
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh you lucky duck! We're about to start that in two weeks and my current roomate and I are stressing, trying to figure out how to try and stay together. But good luck with that knitting group :) Sounds like loads of fun.

Stiney
04-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Ugg, I wish I had to worry about room selection. At my college getting an apartment is a lot cheaper, as the dorm rooms, even shared, were $7-800 a month. :!!!:

But I'm glad you got through the stressful rooming time in one piece! :hug:

Man, I have a warped sense of housing prices. My reaction: Man $700-800 isn't bad!" :rofl:

uplate6674
04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Terrific!

I went the special interest house route in college also, and it rocked. Not only did I avoid the room lottery, I met a bunch of people who had similar interests.

quiltbugj
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Theres a terrific organization that serves individuals who have grown up in foster care and are suddenly on their own when they turn 18. Every January they collect and send red scarves in a care package for the kids who are in college. They send care packages several times a year, but the January one is really big and they get hundreds (maybe thousands) of red scarves. This might be a really cool idea for your college friends. Scarves are easy and cheap to do. This is the link to the home page:

http://www.orphan.org/getinvolved.html

PCwombat
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Quiltbugj, thanks for the link! I'll bookmark it for next semester.

Yeah, I feel so lucky. And, I can't wait to meet everyone. It's also going to be great too, cause there are a good amount of international kids living there. Someone from Belgium, Bulgaria, different parts of Asia. But, that's what I love about my school in general. We're real big on "engage the world."