PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Needle Storage

Paws4Knitting
04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey Guys!
How do you and what do you store your dpn and straight needles in?

Any good buys or choices you recommend. Looking at the soft namaste needle roll up case.

Cheers! :shrug:

RiverDaughter
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I know this is going to sound rather college student of me, but I have a specific skein of yarn that I stuff them all in. It's some old, very ugly, out of business yarn company, but it works really well. :teehee:

brendajos
04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I know this is going to sound rather college student of me, but I have a specific skein of yarn that I stuff them all in. It's some old, very ugly, out of business yarn company, but it works really well. :teehee:

lol i do that with my DPNs when i need to put one down for a moment. I think i actually tell the yarn to hold it too as i am jabbing the needle into the heart of the skein! ;)

TeenKnitter
04-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I keep all of the straights I can in my needle case that I made (picture below). Any huge needles I put in a plastic shoe box I have in my closet. And circulars..., they just float around in my knitting bag.

:thumbsup:

cougarchick
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I made my own, If you know how to sew it is really pretty easy to make one.

cando
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I store my straights in this (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324&PRODID=132527) needle case from Joann.

For the DPNs, I'm making my own out of some fabric I bought. For now, they're in plastic ziplocs.

The circulars, I'm using the Knitpicks case (I bought a few extra plastic sleeves)

Hope you find something you like.

Paws4Knitting
04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Way Cute!!!!!! :muah:

I you have any advice on how to sew it- I sew, and I think it would be fun to make my own?

What did you get and how did you do it...teenknitter and cougarchick? :shrug:

marykz
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I sewed mine too- I used fat quarters of fabric from JoAnns, Iron on fusible interfacing (2 sided) and ribbon. I needed fusible interfacing as the fabrics weren't very thick or strong. If you pick twills or something, you may not need it.
I know there are patterns/ tutorials around but I just made my own...
you sketch out what size you want. mine was for big pockets for circs, so it didn't have to be very tall. and only needed a couple pockets. if you want a long one, you will need a longer piece of fabric.
you pick out complementing fabrics- outside, lining, thread, ribbon.
since you said you sew, this isn't too detailed.... sorry if it makes no sense...
Iron on the fusible interfacing to the wrong side of one fabric
sew right sides together, 3 sides, and most of the fourth.
turn right side out, (poke out all the corners) press (pressing hem into open part.)

Fold up the bottom (narrow end of rectangle) to the depth you want for the pocket. (outside to outside. this is a good time to use the part with the opening) sew edges, turn right side out. you now have half an envelope. The top will be folded down for the flap.
sew into envelope part of bag for individual pockets.

attach ribbon to side edges
fold over top flap.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/455297774_aac55f6557_d.jpg

amishgirl281
04-11-2007, 06:12 PM

I do that too! Except I use my roomates ball of yarn :out:

dink
04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Currently, I just store mine in a little vase, something like what's on Knitty.com (Target, Ikea, Goodwill stores, all over) I don't have much, and I can't sew if my life were riding on the sewing machine. And well, I'm not advanced enough to knit anything nifty yet either :teehee:

(TeenKnitter--you have some pretty needles :inlove: )

lissalue
04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
i don't have very many straights, so they are just in the slots in my knitting bag. my circs are denise's, so they are in the denise box (except the ones that are in wip's, which is most of them :teehee: ) and my dpns are in ziploc bags with the size written on it.

my dh is going to make me some tubes for storing my dpns out of pvc pipe pretty soon though.

CateKnits
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't have any straights that I use. My DPNs are in a little zippered makeup bag that's in a box with my circulars and random bits of leftover yarn.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Check out this thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30026) in the how-to forum.

dakatzmeow
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
i just ordered some cardboard tube thingies from knitpicks to store my dpn's in.

for my straights, i felted a rollup pouch that uses two parallel cables to hold the needles in place.

for my circs, i'm using my knitpicks case right now, but i like the idea of storing the cables without coiling them up. i'll have to work on that.

TeenKnitter
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the needles! The sparkly ones are actually these really cheap ones that Joann's had. It was maybe $7 (not sure about that) for maybe 5 sizes. They're not the greatest, the stoppers at the ends are a little small, but they get the job done. I also have some Knit Light Needles (#13) that I have yet to use (unforutunately, lol). And then the run-of-the-mill Susan Bates etc. I'm hoping to get knitpicks options at some point!

kemp
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I use a namaste needle binder (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=301) to store my stuff...has cirs, my dpns, stitch markers, etc.

Inis
04-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Straights in a vase -- hey, that sounds like a rock band ;)
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/inislovely/knit/smallerneedles.jpg

and circulars in an old cookie tin.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/inislovely/knit/smallercircs.jpg

I also have a set of Denise's that sit on a shelf like a book.

Paws4Knitting
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Unfortuantely with my hyper cats :tap: , I would never be able to keep my needles out like that- although, very cute!!!!!

Well guys, I do believe I going to venture in to making my own needle storage/ holder.

One final qestion, when you sew up the flap- how do you go about that- a little detailed explanation of the flap and then the pockets would be very helpful. Do you sew the pocket with the stitches on the outside? :??

Still new at being this creative- but, I will be excited to visit my local quilt shop once again to buy fabric. Always, tons of fun!!!!!!

:woot: Best!

momwolf
04-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I made this for my straights

Paws4Knitting
04-12-2007, 01:31 AM
VERY cute!!!!!! :cheering:

marykz
04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Julie: I LOVE that! Wow!!! did you make yours?

Kimberly: the top flap is the upper part of the rectangle you sewed first. I just fold it down. I marked my original long rectangle into 3 not equal parts. the bottom gets folded up to be the big pocket. the top folds down to cover at least 1 inch of the pocket so nothing falls out.

and yes, I topstitched the smaller pockets in. just lightly marked some straight lines where I wanted them and sewed a mostly straight stitch from bottom to top of pocket.

There are probably much more elegant ways to make this- but I didn't have the patience to look..... :oops:

dink
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I also have some Knit Light Needles (#13) that I have yet to use (unforutunately, lol).

You have the needles that glow and you haven't used them yet?! Not even just to try? I think you should take pictures of you knitting in the dark with them! :blooby:

Julie: I LOVE that! Wow!!! did you make yours?

I agree, that looks great! Almost looks like some type of pencil holder that you can get at Staples, and you put fabric on it. That is really cute! :heart:

MMK
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I just got some cardboard tubes from Nancy's Knit Knacks that are great for small DPNs like I use for socks.

Also got a needle gauge made by Nancy's with a lot more sizes than the Susan Bates one I already had. The needle gauge came with the warning that the gauge is made to precise specs, and not all needles are. So when I tried out my KP Options, size 2.0, they actually measured 1.75. So I labeled them as size 00 instead of 0. Anyone else think the Options are the wrong size? I don't really care, I love the things. I'm just glad to know that they are smaller than the size 0 Takumi bamboo ones I have.

Lucy78green
04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
We have some tubes that tennis balls came in that are the right length, and I have a leather case my dad got with a bottle of whiskey

TeenKnitter
04-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I like the idea of taking pictures of the Knit Lights in the dark! Let's see, I have to find someone crazy enough to take pictures of me knitting in the dark...

Paws4Knitting
04-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Dink,

What is a booga bag?

Marykz:
Thanks for the explanation- I went and bought fabric this morning- I am looking forward to making it.

I'll let you guys know! :whistle:

momwolf
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the nice comments and yes I made it out of tubes and a big jar lid.Sprayed adhesive on tubes put fabric on and cover lid the same way and stuck the covered tubes in the lid and hot glued the tubes together and that's it.

hellokitty165
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
i sew too ..SIGH ! all i can said .. there is never eough knitting bag ...cos' there is CIRCULAR, STRAIGHT ones and DPN ones ... is there a baggie for all ????? the answer is no... so i just buy a shoe pockets (around 24 pockets) and i hang them on the door !!!! it cheap and durable and it see thru ! the best is Very cheap at walmart !!!! and i just slam dunk every kind of needles in there !!!!!!! :roflhard:

dink
04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Dink,

What is a booga bag?

A booga bag is a felted bag. I actually found out about it from this site. You can do a search on here for everyone's finnished bags. But, This is where you can find the pattern (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) and this is what it looks like:

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/kureyon_felted_bag_2.jpg

I haven't made it yet, but there are LOTS of others on here who have and can show you theirs...like I said, do a search and you'll see everyone's. :)

PaperGirl
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I like the idea of taking pictures of the Knit Lights in the dark! Let's see, I have to find someone crazy enough to take pictures of me knitting in the dark...

Dont let my DH know that they make those. Otherwise Ill NEVER EVER be able to get out of camping again.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Krautie
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Last year I bought a big wooden box like this one (http://www.neckermann.de/index.mb1?mb_f020_id=_sVAEXPXUTCzK89qiuFT7_aHPQLPa Wz9&vkh=0465&linktracking_nr=snZ59NHc-KFXefU_eSSbe1sWWHDzLW8&p_id=335994&nav_id=10058272&ct=1&mb_v301_ch=6347a).

It's big enough for all my "tools"....dpns, straight needles, circs, crochet hooks and all the other things a knitter needs all the time :D

I've put each circ in a transparent plastic bag (postcard size) and wrote the size and the length with a permanent marker on the bag.

After many years with needles here and needles there and searching needles and missing needles x-( that's the best way for me to storage my knitting tools.