PDA

View Full Version : Coat?

HeatherFeather
04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Was talking with someone yesterday, and now I can't remember what mag she said it was in...lol....

It is a coat, that she said was on the cover of a magazine, Fall I believe.

And it's concept is the same as the pinwheel sweaters...you knit for a while, add sleeves, and then knit some more. Only this is a rectangle, instead of a circle. Wear it one way, long coat with little collar, flip it around, and the collar is big, and it's now a short sweater. I'm SURE I could figure it out, as it seems fairly simple....and one could do nearly any stitch one wants....but geesh, I'm looking for an EASY bulky sweater to make for fall.

Ideas?

suzeeq
04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Annie Modesitt had one like that on the cover of Vogue knitting in fall 2005 . But it is circular, not square. You can buy the pattern (http://www.anniemodesitt.com/patterns/#TwFl188) at her website. You can use one of the elann patterns as a guide; they're essentially the same.

sue

HeatherFeather
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
thanks, but I'm looking for the square one. :) I've made 2 and I'm on my 3rd circular one. :)

suzeeq
04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a square one. But you could certainly take that concept and make up your own pattern.

sue

suzeeq
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Now the Winter Knitter's has a square blanket coat. (http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/knitters/GalleryDetail.php?IssueNum=85&ID=625) Maybe that's what she was describing... though it wasn't on the cover...

sue

HeatherFeather
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EXACTLY IT!!!! :) WAY totally different than I imagined :)

so even tho I was inspired....what I had in mind was different. :)

five_six
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Ooohh... I really like that, pity I can't get the mag with the pattern... I might just have to wing something I guess :pout:

HeatherFeather
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking...

measure how wide you want it to be.....make a guage swatch with the pattern you want. so far so good?

THEN, knit, knit knit knit knit.........till it is the length you want from your arm pits. Add your waste stitches where the sleeves need to be, and then continue knitting so the collar is as big as you want it the long way.

And then you are done???? What possibly could I be missing?

The location of the waste stitches would be a formula I think?

suzeeq
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
The pattern is really easy, one large rectangle with vertical slits for the armholes, then small rectangles for the sleeves, sewn in. Or you could pick up around the armholes and knit the sleeves around, avoiding seaming altogether.

You cast on about 56" worth, knit about 2/3 of the length, then separate for fronts and back, knitting them separately and joining again to finish. The top of the armhole slits are about 12-14" from the BO edge.

I tried to draw a diagram, but it didn't come out right...

sue

HeatherFeather
04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
since I'm SO not a seamstress...lol..

I was thinking horizontal slits for the arms......and yes, picking up stitches to do the sleeves in the round.

Not porportional at all....just a guess?????

what would the benefits be to vertical vs. horizontal. With the horizontal, no dividing, just knitting....

suzeeq
04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
That could be another way to do it; you'd BO and CO instead of dividing.

sue

HeatherFeather
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
I think I'm going to do the sleeve's with the afterthough heel.

I learned of this with the pinwheel sweater KAL. :)

You get to the point where you want the sleves to be, use waste yarn, knit for as long as you need the slit for the sleeves to be with contrasting waste yarn, turn your work, and purl what you just knit, and break yarn.

pick up working yarn, and knit until you need to add the second sleeve slit, and do that the same way.

then when you are ready to add the sleeves, pick up the stitches, remove waste yarn, and start knitting the sleeves. :)

suzeeq
04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I think I'm going to do the sleeve's with the afterthough heel.

I learned of this with the pinwheel sweater KAL. :)

You get to the point where you want the sleves to be, use waste yarn, knit for as long as you need the slit for the sleeves to be with contrasting waste yarn, turn your work, and purl what you just knit, and break yarn.

pick up working yarn, and knit until you need to add the second sleeve slit, and do that the same way.

then when you are ready to add the sleeves, pick up the stitches, remove waste yarn, and start knitting the sleeves. :)

Yeah, that's a good way to do the armholes too.

sue