PDA

View Full Version : charity knitters i have a q

jeanius80
04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
i am going to knit a hat and mitten set for my moms friends grandson. he is a little over 2 months, has had a very hard time of it so far (heart surgery and touch and go from birth). i was thinking of using superwash sock yarn or just worsted wool (added warmth, stays warm even when wet...) any ideas? would acrylic really be better? or cotton? thanks for the help! :heart: :notworthy: :heart:

LoAnnie
04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Babies can be allergic to anything and the parents may not know yet. That is the main reason for using acrylic for baby items as well as the washability. Wouldn't it suck if you spent your time making something for the little one and then he's allergic to it?

:doh:

newamy
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
If you want wool I would definately go with the superwash, new babies bring chaos to ones life and hand washing is not an option for busy new parents. Having a baby with heart difficulties adds even more chaos. I know this from personal experience wiht my son. Hand kntted things will really be appreciated, but make sure they are easy care and provide information about how to wash etc. When I got knitted things for my kids I didn't knit then and I was always sacred to wash them.

I hope the baby is doing okay. :heart:

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Although something warm is nice I think that even a soft acrylic like Bernat Softee Baby would be warm enough since it's unlikely the baby will be outdoors where he would need wool. I would always go with something super soft for an infant.

letah75
04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Micro spun might be nice. It is very soft, I believe it's fingering or DK wieght, and machine washable.

jeanius80
04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
thanks ladies! microspun would be nice... i hadn't thouht of it! all your advice has been great. baby has had 5 operations, but now i think he is havin a tough time with his bowels :pout: he is beautiful thouh, and i jus wanted to do something his parents would appriciate and would be nice for him too.

Mommy22alyns
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I second the Microspun - heavenly soft. Poor lil' guy. :verysad:

newamy
04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
5 surgeries in two months of life?? :pout:

That is awful. Those parents need a comfort shawl. Baby gifts are nice and appreciated but sometimes things just for the parents are nice too. Food. Someone to clean house. Just practical help.

My son had 3 open heart surgeries by 10 1/2 months of age, and two cardiac cath proceedures in there as well. Fortunately he had no other anatomical difficutlies and could eat and grow. He's now 12 years old :cheering: But the worry and concern never ends.