PDA

View Full Version : I need a push/some encouragement

cookworm
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Okay, I keep seeing patterns for things with charts, but the thought of having to look at every single little square to figure out what stitch to do, or to count every single square out to figure out what the next technique is.... :ick: ! I know that I'm limiting myself by not wanting to do charts, but the thought of having to look at a chart with those little boxes and watch what I'm doing while I knit...well, I don't know. I follow written directions fine...I wish the charted patterns that I like had written directions with them. Yes, I could write it out, but again, I'd still have to look at all of those tiny boxes to figure it out.

It's not a matter of me thinking I can't do it...I'm not so sure I want to. :oops: It seems like a lot of extra work.

Does anybody have any helpful advice for patterns with charts? Do you enlarge the patterns before beginning to make it easier to read them? Is it as distracting as I think it would be to read the pattern from a chart while you're knitting?

brendajos
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Okay I am not much help in this because I look at a chart and think "too much work!" myself. Mostly because i don't like to do patterns that I can't memorize pretty easily (yes I am JUST THAT LAZY!...lol)

However, everybody I have ever heard talk about charts who actually does them says they are waaaay easier. in fact there are people on here i know who often will take a written pattern and chart it out. I think the point is that once you understand the symbols for the pattern it does become a lot easier and quicker than reading the "words" for each stitch.

auburnchick
04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I learned how to read a chart when doing the Branching Out scarf. I have to tell you that it was so much easier, once I got the hang of it, than trying to read the pattern as written out...especially with all of the repeats.

I actually found it easier, once I got going, to just eyeball the chart rather than find my spot in the written directions.

Stick with it...you'll get it!

syndactylus
04-12-2007, 01:53 PM
charts are great!!
I used my first one for a sweater, and I think I still don't remember the symbols, but once you memorize the pattern (if it's not too hard), you can also compare the symbols to what you have in your head and figure it out that way.
I think for lace they're especially useful because then when there are increases or decreases, they don't have to add even more "at the same time"s in the written parts, which are kind of hellish?

Mommy22alyns
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm sure you could do it! I haven't knitted from a chart, but I learned how to cross-stitch at a pretty young age, so I'm comfortable with them.

AnaK
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I can fallow charts bether than writen instructions for knitting and crochet. I use ruller to cover the row I have finished or pencil to mark it.

quiltbugj
04-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I just found this on the knitpicks site. It explains how to read charts:

OK - can't get the link to work. Go to the knitpicks.com. Click on accessories. Click on chart keeper. There is another link on the item's page for instructions for a chart reading tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Abbily
04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
That link didn't work for me, but I think this is what you are talking about:
http://www.knitpicks.com/images/pdf/charttutorial.pdf

cookworm
04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Mostly because i don't like to do patterns that I can't memorize pretty easily

I'm the same way too!!! Maybe I just need to "take the plunge" and try an easy pattern with a chart (or a pattern that has both written out directions and a chart) to get up some confidence.

Ingrid
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I'll take a chart over written directions, anyday. Once you get going, you can see what you're doing rather than following the written directions section by section. I lose my place a lot easier on written directions than on a chart.

You can enlarge the chart, and if there aren't lines to indicate every 10 stitches, you can add them to help you keep count of your stitches.

I like the fact that I can know I'm on track by checking the previous row. For example, if the chart shows that I should be knitting into a previous row's yo, and I'm not, then I know there's a mistake and I can catch it.

bobi1218
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm the same as you - its not that I'm afraid to try a charted pattern because I think I CAN'T do it, I don't really want to try a charted pattern because I don't think I WANT to do it. But then, I haven't done anything too complicated yet, so maybe when I get to more complicated things it'll seem easier...

CateKnits
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm with you on this - I'm sure I COULD follow a chart, but I really don't want to. :shrug: I'm not good with that kind of thing and I like my knitting to be waaaay too easy. :teehee:

betsylynn
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
you know, you don't have to start with a full pattern. find a chart that for a pattern you think you'd like to do and just knit a swatch. start with a chart that is all knits and purls, like the argyle sweater on magknits.com. i don't have the link ATM, but it's in their archives. i'm currently working it. it's a little slow at first, but it's a 12 stitch/24 row repeat for the pattern. it's a little easier since every even row you knit or purl the stitches as you see them, so it's only a "pattern" that you have to worry about on the odd rows.

one piece of advice i was given after frogging it once is to use stitch markers to mark the pattern repeat. with the argyle pattern, you end up with a marker every 12 stitches, and then you realize if you've made a mistake quite quickly. good luck!

kristinw
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I was terrified of charts. But after using one, I realized they aren't bad and can be much less confusing than a ton of different abbreviations. I find that after one repeat or so, I don't even have to look what the symbols stand for.

samm
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a magnetic board with a stand, and it has line markers that I can isolate a line of chart or a few lines or whatever I wish. I use it always when I am using a charted pattern. I got mine at WM for about $10. I'm terribly bad at remembering patterns as I knit, and this helps me a lot. samm