PDA

View Full Version : This technique seems strange to me

cookworm
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
For one of my future projects, I'd like to make this shawl, but the directions are strange. The shawl is very easy, but it's the pockets that have me confused. The first pocket is knit from the bottom to the top (rib pattern going into the garter stitch top, using smaller diameter needles), then they have you decrease a few stitches.

But the second pocket is worked exactly opposite--it has you working from the top to the bottom (garter stitch top using smaller needles to the rib pattern using the larger needles) with a smaller cast on number of stitches, then increasing your stitches.

Why would this be? Both pockets are exactly the same as far as I can tell from the picture, so why can't I work them both the exact same way?

Ingrid
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Since the shawl part is knit from one end to the other, I imagine, they want the pockets to match the stitches on each particular side. On one side they will be right-side up and on the other, upside down.

cookworm
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Since the shawl part is knit from one end to the other, I imagine, they want the pockets to match the stitches on each particular side. On one side they will be right-side up and on the other, upside down.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh--I get it!!!! :doh: Now why didn't I think of that??? Thanks, Ingrid!!! :muah: