PDA

View Full Version : metal dpns?

syndactylus
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I think I am starting to crack - I recently realised all my 0-3 bamboo needles are chipped from knitting with cotton too vigorously - but first if anyone wants to indulge me I have a little questionnaire:
do you like your metal ones, or do you wish you'd bought hardwood? or plastic?
when you put them down for 5 seconds, does all the yarn slide right off?
anything else to say about them?

thanks!

betsylynn
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
i have a pair of size 2s in metal that i used on my first pair of socks. yes, they were a bit slippery, but as long as i turned my needles parallel when i put them down, i had no trouble with stitches falling off. i was pleased with them, and didn't wish for anything else.

to be honest, i would still love a set of rosewood, but i don't want to pay for them, so the metal works for me!

betsylynn
04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
i have a pair of size 2s in metal that i used on my first pair of socks. yes, they were a bit slippery, but as long as i turned my needles parallel when i put them down, i had no trouble with stitches falling off. i was pleased with them, and didn't wish for anything else.

to be honest, i would still love a set of rosewood, but i don't want to pay for them, so the metal works for me!

samm
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi there! I have all kinds! I like my wooden needles because they aren't so slippery, but as long as I put my work away carefully, it hasn't slipped off the metal ones. I also have some little flexible plastic needles, I think made by addi, and they are terrific! Mostly what I like in dpns is short lengths. I hate long ones now! Not sure this is terrifically helpful, but good luck with whatever you choose. samm

AmandaC
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I only have metal dpn's ... well I do have some Brittany birch little ones but I don't like them as I find them too sticky. I knit tightly btw.

KathyinCali
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I like wood over metal but I'm currently knitting socks (and new at it) so the metal are too slippery for me.

I just ordered some Pone plastic needles. I've definitely decided I like shorter DPN's (5-6#) for socks.

Happy knitting :)

Andrea
04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I use the Options ones and I like them MUCH better than the bamboo ones! The stitches really do slide off a lot easier so I don't feel like I'm struggling like I did sometimes with the bamboo.

MMK
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I love the Options since they are not only smooth but very pointy. Great for splitty yarn or lace patterns. I will use them instead of bamboo when the size is right. The Brittany birch ones kept breaking so I've given up on those.

redwitch
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I love metal and own no wooden DPNs, I'm sure I'd break them anyway! But I'm tight.
I recently got some much better aluminium metal needles which were far better than my more-slippery metal ones, they were still metal but not extra-slippery. Occasionally I have to pause in the middle of a needle to readjust the others I have let go of as they start to slide down the knitting. Try out a couple of sets with different finishes and see how you like them!

Sarah

Orangeus
04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I've only ever used metal needles of any kind, even my DNPs with socks, and I've never had a problem. I think I would prefer metal to wood regardless...

I'm knitting some worested weight cotton socks right now, and I have not had a stitch drop off once, even when I have to shove them in my bag. So, either I am a tight knitter (wouldn't be surprised), or metal needles are perfect for cotton!

Markette
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I've used Clover bamboo, Brittany birch, Colonial rosewood, Susan Bates aluminum, and Knit Picks nickel plated, and the nickel plated are my favorites, with the aluminum at #2. The bamboo have nice points and get a nice finish as you use them, but they're too long. The Brittanys are a little too blunt for me, and the finish is too sticky, and they're too short (5") -- they poke me in the palms. The Colonial rosewood have some too sharp points and some regular sharp points, but they're good for light-colored yarns. The aluminum is slightly tacky, but doesn't really slow me down. The Knit Picks are juuussst rrright. Perfect length, perfect finish, perfect points. I don't knit as tightly as I used to, but I'm still not a loose knitter -- anyway, I don't have a problem with the needles going anywhere unless I drop one when it only has one stitch on it or something.

syndactylus
04-13-2007, 08:35 AM
thanks!
I bought them.
hopefully I'm safer than I think...

pvsduck
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I just ordered metal dpn's. I keep breaking the Bamboo 0's when I'm knitting socks. I like my 0 Addi circulars and I'm making 2 socks on 2 circs right now, first time. I still prefer making socks on 5 dpns.

Patricia