PDA

View Full Version : Help! Socks on 2 circulars

NakedPancakes
04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I am the slowest learner ever. I just casted on for my sock, on my two circular needles. I joined, which I'd never done before. I think it's wrong too because in the picture, the knitting side thing. the string and such is on the left, but mines on the right. So...?
Also.
How do you start knitting? Once theyre joined. o.o Theyre just like...a square there and I don't quite understand. And it's making me upset. xD

NakedPancakes
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I know it's a stupid question...

kitkat
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Ok I don't do mine left and right. I do it front and back.

I cast on, all one needle. I split it (slip half the stitches onto needle 2). then I lay it on the table. I make sure all the bumpy part of the stitch is facing toward each other. The yarn is on the back needle on the right hand side (needle 2 in this example). I move all my stitches on needle 1 toward the right hand tip......because those are the stitches I will be knitting.

Take needle one - use the other tip....slide it through the first stitch on needle one (which would be the first stitch you cast on)...then wrap the yarn from needle two and pull through. I normally pull the yarn and the tail for the first stitch. Then let needle two just dangle.

Be careful with the first row because you can get twisted easily and there is no recovery.

Its not a stupid question. Its a little confusing the first few times. Hope this helps, and hope you get other more knowledgeable tips!

DQ
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Are you using Silvers sock tutorial? http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

I don't know how to answer your question otherwise, I've not done much knitting in the round yet!

kitkat
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

Here are some pictures. She switches her first stitch to help close that gap. Good idea.

NakedPancakes
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd be waiting for her next tutorial, DQ.

KitKat, that was slightly confusing. xD I'm sorry. So far I have them split up and the loops are facing outward.
I don't quite get what you mean by front and back.
I also already joined it.
uhm.
Let me draw a picture in paint, really quick. xD I need a camera, dangit.

NakedPancakes
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Ohh.
That helps.
Thank you sooo much KitKat n_n

kitkat
04-13-2007, 12:57 PM
oh good.....its so hard to visualize, isn't it?

I just cast one on the other night - that ended up getting twisted....bad sock that it was!

NakedPancakes
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
It is!

I've done a few rows so far, and..I think I'm doing a good job! It doesn't look twisted or anything.
I feel so accomplished. I allowed myself chocolate even though I'm on a diet.

Ha. n_n