PDA

View Full Version : To buy yarn with no pattern...

Mommy22alyns
04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Y'know... just askin'. I'm sure no one here has ever bought yarn without a pattern planned out for it... :lol: but if you were to do such a thing, how much of said yarn would you buy? Let's say it's very inexpensive and basic worsted weight.

kristinw
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I usually don't buy less than 2 skeins at a time. That way I at least have enough for a scarf if I don't come up with another project.

aineepooh1
04-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Are we talking about Smiley's again :teehee:

I usually buy ( dpending if its 50gm or 100gms) 3-6 skeins so that I can AT LEAST make a hat/scarf/ simple project..

If I am in :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: with they yarn I ususally buy 6-8 skeins so I can make myself a knitted clothing item out of it ( I am an XL so I usually require 6-8 skiens) BTW

What are you in :heart: with

sara_jayne
04-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Sock yarn is easy....you just buy enough for a pair of socks.

Ingrid's rule is to always buy enough to make a sweater....that way you know you won't run short. Perfect rule to me! :shrug:

Mommy22alyns
04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Are we talking about Smiley's again :teehee:

Now why would we be doing that? :teehee:

What are you in :heart: with

I really like this:

http://www.pagelinx.com/smileysyarns/redhearttlcheather-2.jpg

brendajos
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Depends on yardage for me but usually my rule is 2-3.

bip
04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
If it is garment worthy (not itchy, breathes), I buy enough for a sweater. Otherwise I try to buy enough for a bag or pillow. Hypothetically, of course.

Rycharde
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I did that yesterday!

I found this crazy looking multicolor sparkle stringy fantastic magic wool.

I bought two colors, they were only 1$ each at liquidation world.They really go together. My daughter chose the red/pink/avocado and I chose the mega rainbow.

I'm making her a little sweater shrug out of it. The great thing about the people I knit for is that they are very tiny. And thus I don't ever worry about running out!

I've been using the leftovers in mom's stash to make hats. I'll take a color I have a good ammount of and use it as the main color. Then I'll do stripes or accents in a color that I have only a small bit left of.

My daughter is getting a dark brown hat with pink stripes and a pink pom pom because I hardly have any of that pink left but more than enough to add stripes to her hat.

I don't have much cash now but honestly when I get paid I'm going to go throw 50$ at that wool I found at liquidation world! I love it! You just knit, plain knit and it turns into this fuzzy animal pelt from candyland!

KnitClickChick
04-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I always buy at least 4 skeins, if they are on the small size I usually get 6. I don't think I have ever purchased yarn with anything in particular in mind to make. :teehee: Which is why my stash is so big! I know I'll find something to make with it at some point!

Carla1019
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I was going to post a question about what to do with yarn you already have.

When I first got started (3 years ago) I would buy yarn just because it was pretty. Now I don 't know what to do with it. I could make scarfs :sleepy: ( I don't wear scarfs that much and have a few already.0

I have tryed to Google the name and brand of the yarn to see If I can find a pattern but that does not alway work. Any ideas or wed-site? :happydance:

Rycharde
04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Carla, when you just have a little bit left you can always make little things, and that dosen't just have to be scarfs!

There are about 10,000 different kinds of hats that can be made with almost anything depending how you want them to look/feel.

When you're in my position you can NEVER have enough hats/mitts/slippers

Of course if you don't have young kids that are constantly loosing them there are GREAT places to Donate your mitts socks and hats to for families who can't really afford them.
There are also always support groups for new moms, and teen moms who give out tonnes of baby blankets and baby stuff who are just dying for more donations.
Slip a tag into your donation and get your name around on the flip side someone may love your work ( a friend, a sister an aunt of the new mom you donated it to) and ask you to make them some offering a bit of pay for your creations.
You can always work with welcome baby programs and tonnes of other charities and contribute regular donations of small things made from your extra yarn. It's just wasting around in your stash so why not give it to someone who will cherish it in the form of a little pair of thumbless mittens!
Mix it all up and make a baby blanket with many color stripes!

Or make a scarf :teehee: You can donate those to charity too if you already have too many.

Plus doing nice things just makes people feel good!

brendajos
04-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Rycharde (is that really how you spell your name or is that just how you spell it for the forum? ) makes a very good point AND you can deduct the amount you spent on your taxes if you donate to charity! bonus all the way around by my estimation!

I make hats whenever i can't think of something else to make. i have one hat i wear because it doesn't mess with my hair too much. the rest either go to unsuspecting family members or to the homeless shelter when it starts getting cold. I never see them again but i know that someone who needs it way more than I do is going to have a little bit of me to keep them warm... and if i ever saw one that i had made it would delight me to no end! :heart:

DQ
04-14-2007, 05:56 AM
If I see a yarn I like and it's a good bargain then I just have to buy it...even if I don't know what to do with it! I just buy as much as I can afford :teehee: I got some pink yarn that way and now I'm attempting to make the Candle Flame shawl with it.

mwedzi
04-14-2007, 10:59 AM
If I'd like it for a long sleeve sweater, at least 450 grams, for a short sleeved, at least 300 grams, for a tank, at least 250. I'm a 34" bust. I usually only think of tops when I buy yarn like that.

Rycharde
04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I actually changed my name to be spelled this way on my birth cert. I'm nuts yes but I loves me. :teehee:

And you're right, charity tax deductions, I mean if you're knitting just as a hobby then it could pay for a good portion of that to donate everything to charity!

Could always make baby hats and sell them too!