PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT: retail therapy

Quiara
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I posted in a thread before about my father being ill. Easter Sunday, he passed away. This week has been crazy with the visitation, the funeral, the thank you cards, everything. Today I had therapy with my therapist and after 2 hours of spilling my guts, I decided I needed a slightly faster form of therapy.

Therefore, I trotted my happy butt downtown to Yarn-to-Go and picked up some Schaefer sock yarn called Anne. I took several pictures because I wanted to post the awesomeness that is this sock yarn but none of the pictures do it justice. Just suffice it to say it is awesome and while it does very little in the bigger picture, in the immediate future it gives me something wholly other to think about and a way to keep my hands busy - both of which I need.

Where therapists fail, yarn alone prevails. That's my new battle cry.

(Actually, my therapist is very good and the session, while exhausting, was completely worthwhile. The yarn is just a bonus.)

kristinw
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm so sorry about your father :hug: I'm glad you could fond some solace in yarn :hug:

Paws4Knitting
04-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I am sorry about your father as well- I am glad to hear you were able to find some therapy in your won way. :hug:

auburnchick
04-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure your father would be pleased that you treated yourself during this sad time. :hug:

Mommy22alyns
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
:hug: :hug:

Mariblue
04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
:hug: I'm sorry for you loss too. :hug:

Quiara
04-14-2007, 03:22 AM
Thanks, everybody. It's been hard, but some days it still doesn't feel real. Yesterday, in fact, I got word that I'd been approved for a program that will pay for extra schooling for me for the next 6 years and my first instinct was to call dad and tell him . . . and I just can't anymore. That's when it's really real. Today was more surreal and distraction helped more than anything, so the yarn was a good call. It was more than I generally spend on a single skein of sock yarn, but I felt good about it after I'd done it. Normally I can do a pair of socks for about $16, but this yarn was closer to $30 - but it's really nice yarn and I look forward to making the socks. I need to make new socks so sock knitting won't be ruined for me. I was working on a pair of black socks for dad and I didn't finish them in time. So I need to regain positive associations with sock knitting; I don't want to lose a thing like that that I used to enjoy. I'm hoping this will help. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the yarn I'd started using for dad's socks. It's alpaca - sport weight. They were meant to be bed socks since his feet got so cold toward the end. Now I've got about 100g of it and no real purpose.

auburnchick
04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe you could finish that pair of socks and donate it to a homeless shelter in memory of him.

wildforyarn
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
I am sorry for your loss. It must be hard to lose a parent. I can't imagine what you are going through. My thoughts/prayers are with you and your family.