PDA

View Full Version : OT- little tummy poush

RiverDaughter
04-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm generally considered a decently skinny gal amongst my friends. Not scary model skinny, thank everything, but a decent size 6-8 figure. The only problem is that I have a little tummy poush that, well, doesn't look all that attractive on me.

In fact, I think it, well, kinda makes me look a little pregnant. But I'm not, especially since I would have been at the same stage pf pregnancy since last May. :roflhard:

I eat right, and I do exercise regularly, and eat decently healthy, but I just can't seem to make it go away.

Anyone else no how to rid myself of the tummy poush blues? :verysad:

psammeadred
04-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm about the same size and have the same problem. After you get through puberty, you think you're going to be the same size for a while (depending on whether or not you have kids). Unfortunately, that's not the case! Have you tried that one exercise where you lie on your back and pretend to ride a bike? That's supposed to be the best for tums and won't hurt your back.

Beyond that, remember that what you weigh is not who you are. I know that we girls are constantly pressured to look like supermodels, but there are many things in life more important than your jean size. (Besides, that's just a number that you wear on the inside of your clothes!)

blueeyes28
04-14-2007, 05:30 PM
I was just in my bathroom looking at my belly bulge right before I read your post I have the same problem and it is bugging me!!!!

auburnchick
04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I have heard that Pilates is very good about helping that area of the body. Pilates strengthens the core muscles, which helps your posture as well as the abs themselves.

Carla1019
04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok you see the picture of me at the left.. I have a BIG belly budge. I am looking into a Tummy tuck.. (then I can knit all the time :cheering: )but for you guys that might be to much.

I have tryed the Pilates and laying on your back... They do help. doing Abs. All you need to do about 50 day or work up to that. Do 8 rest do another 8 so on and so on. It might help.

Mulderknitter
04-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Im 29, relatively in decent shape (my thighs are turning into my mothers) but other than that pretty okay, but I have the same problem. Hate wearing tight sweaters that make my boobs look good but I look about 2 months pregnant all the time :grrr: I think I've resigned myself to having my mother's body eventually. Short and petite, but gradually widening butt, thighs and belly. I did get the best boobs out of the family though :happydance: Hey, ya gotta find the positive somewhere!

blueeyes28
04-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I put a full length mirror on the back of my bathroom door and that was a big mistake I am looking in that thing wishing I would see my body from 10 years ago!!!

MoniDew
04-14-2007, 07:43 PM
umm....your friendly neighborhood nutritionist is wondering whether it could be a digestive disorder.... Is it worse after you eat? Do you have IBS, colitis, crohns, celiac, or any other digestive disorder?
________
Toyota Rav4 Ev (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV)

mks22300
04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm going through the exact same thing and been wondering what to do about. I do hate to exercise, but I guess I should dust off my pilates dvd and start using it. :teehee:

suzeeq
04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Stress can increase certain hormones that cause belly fat. In addition to toning the core muscles, do something for relaxation. Yoga would be a good thing...

sue

bailsmom
04-14-2007, 09:00 PM
I too have developed a little belly thing. I have been doing pilates and yoga and I just started doing Denise Austins shrink your female fat zones. While all of these have helped my overall health and my back especially, they haven't done a darn thing for my hips or my belly.

I'm about 12 pounds heavier than I want to be. I did lose 8 pounds since starting these exercises, but have since hit a plateau. That's why I started the Denise Austin dvd, I thought doing a different exercise would be a good thing, it's not. :pout:

Plus, I hate doing it, it's so boring. I need something that'll keep me motivated. I do watch my calories and eat a salad everyday, so I don't know what's going on on my insides.

You are in good company!!

Mariblue
04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
umm....your friendly neighborhood nutritionist is wondering whether it could be a digestive disorder.... Is it worse after you eat? Do you have IBS, colitis, crohns, celiac, or any other digestive disorder?
MoniDew has a really good point. Also, as lovely as it sounds :ick: , if you are constipated, you should really look into doing some kind of bowel/colon cleanse. There are lots of people walking around who are carrying alot of extra...stuff...in there colons...and that can pack on some extra "weight" around the middle.
Probably not the information you wanted...but there ya go. :teehee:

Julie
04-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I'll echo those who recommended Pilates -- that and modifying your diet. It makes me very :!!!: that I'm this tiny person who only gains weight ONLY in my gut and therefore looks perpetually four months pregnant...but it is what it is. ;) Usually if I cut out processed sugars and stick to whole foods for several weeks, and faithfully do my Pilates, I can get rid of much of the gut. It's hard though!!

Good luck :D

Jill A.
04-15-2007, 12:26 AM
I agree with exersize and diet, but I don't think we should under estimate the power of genetics.

We had a family get-together a couple of weeks ago. My grandmother and some aunts and cousins were there. There was an amazing amount of genetic similarity. We all have the same pouchy chins, and I think I know what the back of my neck will look like in a few years too.
:pout:

five_six
04-15-2007, 12:37 AM
well, I am pregnant so it doesn't help much at the moment, but I was supposed to have (sorry this is yuk) a colonoscopy on my doctors advice (but can't now due to the bubba), cause when I eat ANYTHING I get extremely bloated, and it's really uncomfortable, like when you push your tummy out as far as you can... I can't figure out what it is in my food that is doing this to me. I will go for days not eating just to avoid this really uncomfortable state of affairs. Maybe a nutritionist might be a better idea for me than a bowel doctor :shrug:

Out of curiosity, what age are you, as I know this tends to happen a bit more once we get a bit older, you know, the little pot belly (have heard it's a hormonal thing, once we get closer to menopause).

RiverDaughter
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Out of curiosity, what age are you, as I know this tends to happen a bit more once we get a bit older, you know, the little pot belly (have heard it's a hormonal thing, once we get closer to menopause).

I'm only in my early 20's, so I'm pretty sure it isn't menopause. :roflhard:

Outside of crunchies, does anyone know a good exercise regiment that might help, outside of pilates? I do a lot of walking and lifting (thanks work :P ), but just realized that I don't do anything for the abs. :doh:

samm
04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi there! I have food allergies that immediately cause fluid retention if I cheat. It all sits in the gut and the belly balloons!! :pout: But if I can keep away from the allergens it goes away. Might be worth having allergy testing done, or doing elimination dieting to see if anything is better. samm

bailsmom
04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Outside of crunchies, does anyone know a good exercise regiment that might help, outside of pilates? I do a lot of walking and lifting (thanks work :P ), but just realized that I don't do anything for the abs. :doh:

Callanetics (http://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-Years-Younger-Hours-Amazon-com/dp/B00064K0RI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6255306-2604621?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176651532&sr=8-1) is an oldie but a goodie. (For even more reviews, look at the VHS version.) It'll probably seem very strange at first (you're like, "is this doing anything?), but you'll feel it in your muscles the next day, and see changes in the mirror within the first week. I've always been pretty slim, but doing the exercises definitely made me look sleeker and toned.

Okeedoke Jane, I sure hope you're right about this exercise, I just bought the dvd on amazon.

I've spent wayyyyy too much money this weekend. :pout: Allbeit, $90 of it was on yarn. :happydance:

phisch
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Lol. I am small up top and have a big pouch. And no waist. Heh. No tight sweaters for a while for me.

Guess what? I thought I owed it all to childbirth (2 kids) but no. There are two culprits: sitting a lot plus bad posture when sitting. If I make an effort to remember to sit correctly or hold my shoulders straight up when I stand, the pouch is less noticeable. As to sitting, well...can't very well knit when I lay down, can I? Only choice really is to get active again. In my early 30s "dancing" with my toddler for 20 mins a day helped. I try that with baby # 2 but he insists on being carried (oh my back!).

I didn't know that about Pilates. I have week abdominals and I read somewhere that if the abs are weak the back is, too. Might be a good idea to try for a stronger back.

Kaydee
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I read in some fitness magazine that there are just some places that you're going to have fat no matter what, its your body's genetics. Not to burst your bubble or anything but that may just be your genetics and no matter how many crunches you do, you might just not be able to get rid of it. :shrug:

mwedzi
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Callanetics (http://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-Years-Younger-Hours-Amazon-com/dp/B00064K0RI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6255306-2604621?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176651532&sr=8-1) is an oldie but a goodie. (For even more reviews, look at the VHS version.) It'll probably seem very strange at first (you're like, "is this doing anything?), but you'll feel it in your muscles the next day, and see changes in the mirror within the first week. I've always been pretty slim, but doing the exercises definitely made me look sleeker and toned.

Seems like lots of people like this, by the reviews. I think I will try it. I have a little pudgy on the lower abdomen that I'd like to tone up. It hasn't always been there, so I doubt it's genetics. Or any more genetics than the fact that women gain weight there. I've just started eating more (larger portions) over the past couple of years. Time to cut that mess out!

Kirochka
04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Several things: most women have fat deposits around the middle - most models you see in magazines and on TV do not (and I'd bet you anything most of those flat-stomached women are that way through genetic luck). For many many women, myself included, a flat abdomen is an unrealistic goal (especially if, like me, you have no desire to put in the effort it would take to get one).

Pilates is wonderful, so are other ab exercises, but they are going to strengthen the muscles under the fat deposits unless you're also doing the stringent all-over exercising and dieting it would take to eliminate the fat as well. Or you are blessed by genetics.

I have had a poochy stomach ever since I can remember - sometimes it's bigger, sometimes it's smaller, depending on my overall weight and thyroid situation (now controlled by medication) and IBS situation blah blah blah ad nauseam... and I'm (sort of) resigned to it, because I'm not a person who enjoys hours and hours of exercise and a very restricted diet. I think most people who see me think of me as "thin" - and yet my poochy stomach is the part of my body I hate the most. But obviously not enough to do what it would take to get rid of it.

Just my two cents' worth. If anyone does find the magic trick to obtaining flat abs when you've started out with genetics and an attitude like mine, do report back! :wink: