PDA

View Full Version : My scarf pattern

hummingbird
04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi. I hope this is the right place to post this. I just finished making this scarf pattern http://rainydayart.blogspot.com
Would some of you mind giving your opinon on it? I'm still new at making patterns so I decided to post it for free.

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 01:20 AM
I really like it except I'm not sure I like the pointed ends. I've thought of doing that myself a few times and trial runs never produced 'quite' the centred, accurate look I wanted. Can you post another image with the scarf straightened out so we can see those ends and how they run into the main part of the scarf?

One thing I read about charging for patterns is that the pattern really needs to be quite unique. I made a lovely fine wool scarf out of Filatura di Crosa and combined six stitch cable and moss stitch but I really could not see the pattern considering I've not come up with a completely unique pattern as such. I understand that people who sell to knitting magazines etc must demonstrate that their idea is very new and not just a different use of known stitches and so on. Perhaps others can advise. I'm totally fine with people charging but experienced knitters will tend to only pay for something very new and different. It might be something to keep in mind..?

Certainly look at knitting magazines and what they say in the submission section about requirements for patterns.

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 01:21 AM
I really like it except I'm not sure I like the pointed ends. I've thought of doing that myself a few times and trial runs never produced 'quite' the centred, accurate look I wanted. Can you post another image with the scarf straightened out so we can see those ends and how they run into the main part of the scarf?

One thing I read about charging for patterns is that the pattern really needs to be quite unique. I made a lovely fine wool scarf out of Filatura di Crosa and combined six stitch cable and moss stitch but I really could not sell the pattern considering I've not come up with a completely unique pattern as such. I understand that people who sell to knitting magazines etc must demonstrate that their idea is very new and not just a different use of known stitches and so on. Perhaps others can advise. I'm totally fine with people charging but experienced knitters will tend to only pay for something very new and different. It might be something to keep in mind..?

Certainly look at knitting magazines and what they say in the submission section about requirements for patterns.

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
sorry for post replication. the first didn't seem to go through and I noticed a spelling error and changed "see" to "sell" and submitted.

hummingbird
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks very much for responding! I'll add some more pictures of the scarf later tonight when I go home.

What do you mean by "centred" and "accurate"? I just don't know what look you're going for.

I'm not planning on submitting this pattern to magazines. I did email knittingpatterncentral about it.
Before I started making the pattern I looked around for something like this and didn't find anything. My pattern is more than a ribbed scarf. I like my scarves to look similar on both sides and I thought that this would be an interesting way to do that.

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, I am thinking geometrically. I wanted the 'pointy' section or triangle to come out at a good angle from the edges of the scarf and meet neatly so that the point of the triangle would match with the half way point across the width of the scarf. If you ran your eye from the triangle point back, that's what you'd see. But for some reason the edges of the triangle has never 'quite' been straight and neat. I've tended to skew the triangle slightly off to one side. Some 'errors' I don't mind and I think can add a bit of character to the piece but if I want symmetry it drives me nuts if I don't obtain it :-) I know it should be easy to obtain by the way and my knitting has fairly even tension but I think it's the way I've not tended to increase on both edges the same or similar that's been the problem.

hummingbird
04-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I put more pictures up. That should show the ends better.

Susan P.
04-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I see now that the ends are diagonals as per the pattern. I could not see that before. I would perhaps have a pic on your site with it arranged around a mannequin neck or person..just to show how it falls perhaps. Interesting. Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

hummingbird
04-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Well, I don't have a mannequin and the pictures of me in a mirror didn't turn out so well. I'll have to think about what to do for that.
To get the point of the end to be in the middle you would have to cast on more stitches to begin with (half your total stitches?). I think that it would not be perfectly semetrical because of the rib stitch, it would stretch more one way than the other. Maybe I can design another with the point in the middle that is the same on both sides...

Thank you for your comments

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you do that. I was just talking about my thoughts in the past. The best way would be to do the scarf in two halves actually - decreasing down evenly would lead to points etc rather than starting with a stitch and increasing up. I guess it shouldn't make any different but it seems to with the way I knit. It's a tightness/tension issue I think. I'd just add one of those images you did and showed here to your site to show now the ends looks.