PDA

View Full Version : Not quite knitting; abacus row counter and shawl pins

knit-errant
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Don't know if this is the right place for this or not; if not, give me a (gentle, please!) whack upside the head and I won't do it anymore.

Anyway, this weekend I've felt kind of blah and bored so I played with wire. I came up with a few squiggly shawl pins made with lampwork beads and Swarovski crystals, and an abacus style row counter. In the row counter, dark beads represent 1's and light beads represent 10's; it can count up to 109, but the central loop shows 21 in the picture.

Thanks for looking!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/459928763_35d79f58e8_m.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/leigh_m/459928763/in/photostream/)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/459928693_8af74e443c_m.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/leigh_m/459928693/)

BinkyKat
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I would say this is the perfect place for your post! Didja put it in the buy/sell/swap too? Good place for it if you want to offer your creations for sale!
Beautiful work by the way...I am into beading but really have left it by the side of the road since I got into knitting. I haven't explored working with wire but I see so many things I'd like to try. At the very least I need to make stitch markers...basically like an earring...with a ring.
Again, fabulous creations!!!! :happydance:

Mer
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow, those are beautiful! :heart:

cando
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Those are so pretty! Such neat work too. Great job!

knitting frenzy
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
very complimentary work to go with knitting projects. I usually like to wear a pretty pin or something like that on my sweaters. these would work well!

knit-errant
04-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks, guys! :hug:

Didja put it in the buy/sell/swap too? Good place for it if you want to offer your creations for sale!
Beautiful work by the way...I am into beading but really have left it by the side of the road since I got into knitting. I haven't explored working with wire but I see so many things I'd like to try. At the very least I need to make stitch markers...basically like an earring...with a ring.
Again, fabulous creations!!!! :happydance:

I haven't put them in the buy/sell/swap spot yet -- haven't had time to field test them yet and see how they stand up to abuse. Well, I sort of have -- my husband thought I was insane earlier when I was seeing how well the row counter stayed accurate by dropping it on the floor, down the stairs, goading the cats into playing with it... :teehee:

I've kind of let my bead/wire work fall by the wayside too. Picked it up again this weekend, and I thought, "Oh yeah! This is still fun too!"

bobi1218
04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Those are so pretty!! I love the row counter, what a unique idea!

itsjustmeghan
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
oh man, if that row counter works and you start selling them, pm me! i'd be down for one of those pretties!

nuknitter
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
You do some of the best designs in jewelry that I've seen on the net!! I was really impressed by your photo album.

BTW, where does your row counter go? Does it hang f/the needle, or does it go on the wrist as a bracelet? Great color combination w/the beads ;)

knit-errant
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
You do some of the best designs in jewelry that I've seen on the net!! I was really impressed by your photo album.

BTW, where does your row counter go? Does it hang f/the needle, or does it go on the wrist as a bracelet? Great color combination w/the beads ;)

Mine sits beside me on the couch! :thumbsup: I actually hadn't thought too much about where it could go. Seems like it would be really cumbersome to hang it from your needles... I'm kind of toying with the idea of attaching a lobster-claw type clasp to a chain, and having the claw grasp the counter at the top of the center circle to be worn as a pendant... though the one I posted would be a really large pendant; maybe I could rework it to be smaller with seed beads and lighter guage wire? Hm... I'll have to think about that some more! :??

And thanks so much for the compliments on my jewelry too! Glad you like it! :heart:

nuknitter
04-15-2007, 06:51 PM

sara_jayne
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Those are beautiful!

redwitch
04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
You could make a bracelet one like this:

There are 2 strands going around your wrist, one with black beads for 10s, the other strand white beads for 1s. You also make a small loop with elastic thread, something that would barely fit onto the tip of your little finger. This loop goes on one end of the bracelet, with all the beads on the other side. It is a circle around both strands.
When you finish a row, you move a white bead (the 1s) to the other side of the elastic loop by stretching the loop over one white bead. So if there are 7 beads on that side, you've done 7 rows. When you get to the tenth row, you put a black bead (the 10s) onto that side, and return all the white ones to their original position on the other side.
So if there are 3 blacks moved to that side, and 8 whites, you know that means 38 rows.
Of course it doesn't have to be black and white beads, any colour's fine. Also I would put smaller seed beads all the way around that little loop of elastic so it's easier to see and manipulate. And something on one end to mark which is the starting point (which side's which).

I LOVE your shawl pins! Would you consider posting a tutorial or a quick description of how to?

Sarah

dewdrops
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Simply Gorgeous :heart: Good job! :cheering: