PDA

View Full Version : bent addis? (metal ones)

boyforpele13
04-16-2007, 01:00 AM
ok so i got size 0 addis 32" for magic loop. I am thinking I would prefer 40, but the real question is: Has anyone bent their Addis? Mine are completely mishapen and curved now, and yes, the LYS's have already made the "manhandling" jokes. Of course they still work and now are actually kinda shaped to my hands, so I'm not complaining necessarily, but I feel a bit like a barbarian or something. ;) Anyone else do this to metal 0s? I'm thinking of trying out the KP Options ones and maybe doing 2 circulars instead of magic loop for size 0 anyway...

redwitch
04-16-2007, 01:07 AM
I've done this to metal needles, 2 to 2.5 mm. One circ had a noticeable kink at one end. No actual problems as a result, really.
For good-quality and reasonably expensive needles I'd be more bothered than with the cheapies available in NZ. However, considering the thinness of these needles, it's not altogether surprising or unreasonable that they'd bend. Also, I think my cheap ones are hollow inside.

Sarah

pvsduck
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm using Addi turbo 0's to knit socks and they get bent. When I tried bamboo 0's I snapped them in two. My bamboo 1.5's and 2.0's are bent, so I wasn't surprised to see that the metal Addi's bent also. It doesn't cause any problems though, and I love using the metal Addi's instead of the bamboo, but I want some metal dpn's now.

Patricia

carmabelle1191
04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I haven't had a problem with the needles bending (but I've only used a size 6), but I just finished a pair of ML socks and tha cable has a few "kinks" in it. Do you think this can be solved by dipping it in boiling water like you would do with an over bendy cable? :shrug:

jodstr2
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
ok so i got size 0 addis 32" for magic loop. I am thinking I would prefer 40, but the real question is: Has anyone bent their Addis? Mine are completely mishapen and curved now, and yes, the LYS's have already made the "manhandling" jokes. Of course they still work and now are actually kinda shaped to my hands, so I'm not complaining necessarily, but I feel a bit like a barbarian or something. ;) Anyone else do this to metal 0s? I'm thinking of trying out the KP Options ones and maybe doing 2 circulars instead of magic loop for size 0 anyway...

call Skacel. I've been told by more than one LYS that Addis have a lifetime warranty and Skacel will replace them for free.

good luck :heart:

boyforpele13
04-16-2007, 11:45 PM
they do have a lifetime guarantee, although someone was telling me recently they had trouble using it, but i can't remember why.... hmmm. maybe it will come to me. i don't necessarily need them replaced, they work still and are actually kinda shaped to my hands now a bit, i was just hoping i wasn't the only one that did it. ;-) I have KP's size 1 and 2 and no trouble yet, I think the 0s are just too skinny for my hands. i got brittany birch DPs in size 1 and snapped 3 of them within 2 rounds. they promptly sent a replacement, but what am i going to do with them? :teehee: I might try KP's 0's to test the theory.

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 12:44 AM
i've got at least 2 kp's size 0 and i've not had any trouble with them. as inexpensive as they are, you might just want to go ahead and give them a try. if you can't get them long enough for magic loop, i'd go right for the 2 circs. i love both methods!

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 12:50 AM
right now they come up to 32" which is what length my Addi 0's are that I'm using for magic loop, although I prefer 40s. I e-mailed them today to see if they would be having 40" length available soon, if not, I will try the 32s and/or the 2-circular instead of magic loop. I'm actually working a magic loop with their 32" 1's right now and not having any trouble, even in fiddly spots, no bending, so definitely worth trying their 0s. and who am i to turn down an excuse to place a KP order? ;-)

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 01:03 AM
you might also try a lighter grip, if you can. having suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome, i am very conscious of how tightly i am holding the needles. :hug:

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 01:18 AM
oops

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 01:19 AM
that is what did it to me in the beginning. the first time i used them was for the wee sock swap, so i was starting out the magic loop with 4 stitches on each needle and doing increases and short rows and such and i know i had them in a death grip at times. come to think of it, it was actually the first time i did magic loop for socks and on small needles, maybe i just needed to get comfortable too and that's why i'm not having trouble... still ordering from KP though, can one have too many size 0 circulars? ;-)

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 01:20 AM
too many needles? what is this language you speak? :shrug:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

DreamWeaver
04-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Hmmmm... I've never had that problem... then again, I've never worked with anything smaller than three's, so maybe I'm just using big needles ^_^

If it isn't a problem to you, than I don't see a reason to replace them. From the way you're explaining them it doesn't sound like they are twisted and mangled, but more fit to your hand size. Sounds kind of like personalized neeldes to me :thumbsup:

Ariane100
04-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I bent my KP size 0's when I started on my first Pomatomus. Now that I've gotten used to that pattern I'm knitting much more loosely now that I'm at the end of the first sock than when I started and as a result I don't have to work as hard to do the k2tog tbl, especially when one of the two stitches is a YO...

VictoiseC
04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
magic loop on zeros! wow, you are like way out there!

I haven't used zeros yet and I don't think I want to go anywhere near that magic loop stuff but maybe someday I'll change my mind. Maybe you'd be better off with wood? Zeros are so thin, I can see them bending even if not a male.

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
i tried a set of brittany birch DPs in size 1 and snapped 3 of them like twigs within 3 rounds. i'd be afraid to try wood in a smaller size, even a different wood. as for magic loop, i am forever converted, between that and 2-circular knitting, i don't see myself touching DPs much anymore. I was okay with DPs, but never really could get a rhythm going with them no matter how much I worked on them. There's a bit of the needle shifting required for both 2-circular and magic loop, but totally worth it to me, plus no more ladders!

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 06:20 PM
ditto! i love magic loop and 2 circs. i'm also forever converted. i convert every single pattern i possibly can to one of those two methods. no seams! plus, i hate my stockinette with purls. it looks hideous! when i can knit everything in the round, that means i won't have to stockinette with purls. :cheering:

Doublereeder2
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a relaxed grip and my #0 Addi circs have slight bends in them too. Mine happens when I am digging in the yarn for the SSK or K2TOG. I think it happens because the tips are not so pointy. I have never (yet) broken a wooden DPN.

VictoiseC
04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow you'all are just about convincing me to give it a go. (and I'm sitting here with about 10 pairs of wood dpns next to my computer) I LOVE knitting on dpns though. But I hate seams and purling ain't so great either.

So the birch needles snapped? I was thinking after I posted, bamboo is supposed to be one of the strongest materials around ... they're even making these really expensive bicycles out of it... so maybe bamboo needles would be super strong. Don't know if they come in small sizes or not.

dakatzmeow
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
vc, i have a pair of bamboo size 0. tiny little things! i haven't snapped any, but i am VERY conscious about keeping a relaxed grip on my needles to prevent hand fatigue.

Doublereeder2
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
VictoiseC -

Crystal Palace Bamboo DPNs are my favorites. They have a slick coating and pointy tips. And I think I read somewhere they are resin treated for extra strength. My next faves are Pony Pearls - some sort of cellulose plasticy stuff with a metal rod in the center. They feel very much like the CPs.

Are you from the Catskills? I am headed to Monticello tomorrow to see my Mom.

Ceci