PDA

View Full Version : No room at the inn !!!!

habbyworld
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I`m in a 3 bed flat, one of the rooms have been turned into an office come store room, the 2nd bedroom is just a store room from floor to celing, the living room is half a store room, and eveything else i own is in the bedroom where i sleep. I still dont have enough room for what i need and finding anything is a nightmare, i have shelves everywhere with stuff on, i have to walk sideways to get past some of it......HELP I NEED MORE ROOM, does anyone know where i can get a tardis

Jan in CA
04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't know what a tardis is or what exactly you would like help with. :??

letah75
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Rummage sale?

habbyworld
04-16-2007, 04:30 PM

Have you ever watched "Dr Who"

cathoo
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM

The TARDIS is a space ship from Doctor Who where the inside is a whole lot bigger than the outside (which is shaped like an old British police call box).

Habbyworld, I'd see if you can get "Organizing from the Inside Out" from your local library (so you aren't buying stuff to add to the other stuff). It teaches you a lot about how to organize your space so that you know where things are, while not being too picky on clutter.

Flylady.net is more on keeping things clean and organized if you are the primary home-cleaner. It has a good system of "baby-stepping" your way through things. But it's not for everyone.

When I was little, I remember my mom going through the house for what seemed like a long time with little coloured dots. Turns out she would put the dots on everything that she used over the course of two weeks, and anything that didn't have a dot on it she would seriously consider getting rid of (things like clothes, appliances, even some furniture!)

habbyworld
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
That dot thing sounds like a really good idea, but when your have the problem of not wanting to throw anything away because the little voice in your head says "you never know" or the fact you think you could sell it for a quid or 2, it`s just not that easy, although i know some stuff no one will buy or it will cost too much to post, or the landfill sites are already getting full, there is just too many factors here, lol So what does one do then.

psammeadred
04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
You could always move out to the American Midwest - there's loads of room out here! :)

debinoz
04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
My very first knitting project when I was "little" was a Doctor Who scarf! Too bad it got lost somewhere along the road.
http://whoplace.250free.com

DQ
04-17-2007, 05:23 AM
That dot thing sounds like a really good idea, but when your have the problem of not wanting to throw anything away because the little voice in your head says "you never know" or the fact you think you could sell it for a quid or 2, it`s just not that easy, although i know some stuff no one will buy or it will cost too much to post, or the landfill sites are already getting full, there is just too many factors here, lol So what does one do then.

You could move out of London to somewhere where you get more space for your money! :P

Sounds like you need this --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Laundry-How-Junk-Your/dp/0563534753

nonny2t
04-17-2007, 05:51 AM
I would seriously consider getting rid of stuff. Get organized and have, what do you Brits call it, a jumble sale? The fact is, you know that you are not going to ever use certain things and continuing to stock and store stuff like that will make your life hell! Give the darn stuff to charity if you have to, but scale down and make your life more livable!

habbyworld
04-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the advice, i`ll put some of that infomation into good use :o)

Susan P.
04-17-2007, 06:39 AM
You can also put things into storage. Prices are always per month and range from very reasonable per month for self storage (you have a small lock up garage style) or you pay for your things to enter a 'pod' or storage container in a warehouse. The pod may be moved around but never opened.
Doing that allows you to keep the things but you could clear out a whole room. No point in living in a warehouse yourself!

However, if you're on your own I think you need to get rid of things. I've just rung a charity to come and pick up and old cupboard and chair etc.
Good rule is, aside from keepsakes and heirlooms, if you've not used it in two years you don't need it.