PDA

View Full Version : NEW! Interchangeable Needle Sets- Poll and comments!

Jan in CA
04-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Which interchangeable needles do you like best? Please comment on why you like them and if you have concerns. If you have more than one type maybe you could comment on that.

A few links..there are others though.
Knitpicks Options (http://knitpicks.com/needles/knitting_needles.aspx)
Denise Interchangeables (http://www.knitdenise.com/)
Boye Needlemaster (http://www.nakedsheep.com/boyneedknitn.html)

Jan in CA
04-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I have the Denise Set right now. I like them, but find that some yarns tend to stick to them. I bought a few Knitpicks needles to test and I love them so I'll be ordering the set soon.

amy
04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, I own all of the above, so I'll chime in on all of them!

First of all, for those who don't know what an interchangeable-type set is, it's a set of needles in a wide range of sizes, with which one can do nearly all of one's knitting. The short "needle tips" attach to a cable (various lengths are included) to make a circular needle. Any type of knitting, including regular "flat" knitting (like a scarf), or circular knitting, can be done on these needles. The kits offer convenience and affordability over buying dozens of individual circular needles (the kind with permanently attached cables), and far more flexibility than using ordinary straight needles.

Knitpicks Options set

Pros
:arrow: The slick needle surface is very smooth and luxurious. :inlove: This is, for many, enough reason to buy this particular set. And I knit with this set when I can, for this reason.
:arrow: The cables are quite flexible.
:arrow: Affordably priced.
:arrow: The manufacturer allows for the set to be purchased in pieces, so you can try it out by purchasing a single size of needles and cable. Very nice option for the low-commitment new knitter, no other set offers this.

Cons
:arrow: The set does not contain a reasonably short cable length. The shortest length is a 24" (measured from needle tip to needle tip), which is fine for some things, but compared to the 17" length of the Denise kit, this is a major limitation of the set. (See update below, some people are modifying their cables!)
:arrow: Poorly organized kit. Needles are not labeled with their size, nor are the sleeves. It's very easy to loose track of parts of this kit.

This is my preferred kit when I'm knitting something flat, or large enough to fit on 24" needles.

Denise Interchangeable set
Available in our knittinghelp Store (http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/store/index.php?cPath=4).

Pros
:arrow: 17" length! :cheering: Very practical for hats, baby clothes, and other circular items of such diameter. No other set has this short a length. I use this kit more than any other kit for this reason, and for the following reason.
:arrow: Well-organized kit, makes it very easy to keep track of items and see if something in the kit is missing. This is a big deal for me, because I will grab my kit on the way out the door, and I like knowing if it has what I need in it.
:arrow: Flexible cables. Even the 17" length is easy to maneuver, and literally easier on the wrists than most other sets are at their 20" lengths.
:arrow: The most affordable set on the market.
:arrow: Needle tips are warmer to the touch, and quiter sounding than metal tips.
:arrow: Click-on needle tips are easier to attach and won't come unscrewed during knitting.
:arrow: These easily pass through airport security, in my experience.

Cons
:arrow: Resin/plastic materials are durable but less "luxurious" than other materials like bamboo, and even metal.
:arrow: Resin needle tips are smoother than bamboo, but not as smooth as metal.

This kit is not luxurious, but rates #1 for practicality. When I need a 17" needle length, which seems like half the time, I use this kit. Also, if I'm going to start a project while out of the house, I grab this kit because I can tell if it contains the needle sizes I need.

Boye Needlemaster
Better organization than the Options set. I love the streamline case and the color-coded needles are pretty and easy to keep track of. Slick, metal needles (not as slick as Options, but second best). My only complaint about this set is the stiff cables. I won't use the 20" length, only the 24" or longer. Stiff means that the knitting flows along the cable smoothly, but it's harder on the wrist at that short length. The other main complaint about this set is that the needle tips come unscrewed, but that is easily remedied: discard their white rubber grip, and use a circle cut from a yellow dishwashing glove instead.

Webs Bamboo Set
Beatiful set with lovely bamboo needles. As with the Boye set, the stiff cable is my main complaint. I find the short 20" too stiff, but use the longer lengths.

Update--My own dream kit:
One day I'm going to do actually do this...
Shorten one of the Options cables to an 18" length, using heavy duty glue. I've heard some have done this. (Pull the cable out of the metal end, cut it, and glue it back in with 2-ton epoxy!)

I'll then take the needles and cables from the Knitpick's Options kit, and stuff them into my Boye Needlemaster case. This dream kit has it all: flexible cables, a short cable length, slick needles, and excellent organization in a streamline case. I can't imagine a more perfect kit, unless the Options needles were colored like the Boye set, so pretty.

Note about broken parts
All of the above manufacturers are good about replacing broken or poorly made parts. Broken cables, parts that don't screw in properly...these things are quite common in all sets, so don't judge the manufacturer on that...just contact them for replacement parts. They're all good at replacing parts.

Nikki
04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
I voted for KP's Options. I bought and tried to use the Denise and hate the plastic things, sorry I bought them.

KathyinCali
04-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I have the Options. I also have the Plymouth Bamboo Sister Interchangables. What I like about the Plymouth are; they are very compact-I bought them to travel with. They also have an 18" cable! While they are obviously not the same cables as Options or Addis, they still aren't bad to work with and softened right up when I put them in warm water. I rate them an 8.

Happy knitting! :hug:

Carla1019
04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I didn't vote because:

I have the Denise, even tho they are good, I have already broken one, beause of the plastic.

My Mom found me a VERY old set of Boye, I love those. I need to buy me the new Boye set or the Option set. some of the Boye stuff is missing.

newamy
04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I have the Options and really like them. I never tried any other set so cannot compare.

The draw backs I find to the Options are the same that Amy said. No short cable and difficult to organize the set. I know some people like all the little pockets and so forth but I had to put a lable on each one with the needle size. And I didn't really need/want all the varying pocket sizes.

On the plus side I think the price is right for the product. I did have one cable go bad and Knitpicks replaced it right away. In fact they sent two! The case fits nicely on my bookshelf with my knitting books. And when I knit with other needles I can really feel the difference. The Options are smooth and light weight and I think they make knitting faster and easier.

rorygilmore
04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I have the Options set and I love them. But I do wish the sizes were on the needles.

amy
04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
...Plymouth Bamboo Sister Interchangables... have an 18" cable!

No kidding! I didn't know that about the Plymouth set! I might have to check them out and see how flexible that cable is...if it's easy on the wrists it could be a contender for my top three.

It's funny how quickly this thread is growing. We're all so passionate about our needles! :teehee:

marykz
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I like my Denise- lightweight, flexible, no kinking cable issues. I like the organized case. I may buy options another day, but for now, I'm happy! I've had no issues with my set- and I even got them "pre-owned" (Thanks Silver!).

They aren't my only circular needles, I own some random regular types too- some metal, some plastic, one Addi Turbo..... so I don't have a need for more than one interchangeable set at the moment.

Eloewien
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I also love how pointy my options are. I love my few sets of short or tiny addis, but they're not pointy enough. It makes it so much easier to do lacework on the pointy tips!

Secksiebrat
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I currently own the knitpicks options and the denises. I also owned the boye's and disliked them.

Knitpicks: I've done 2 projects with them and LOVE the flexible cables. I love the smooth metal needles and I really "fly" when I knit. I WISH there were smaller cables and a few smaller sizes, for knitting socks on 2 circulars for example. I wish the needles were labeled in a way b/c I have a hard time telling the sizes apart.

Denises: I have the colored set that was done by Amy. It's very easy to tell them a part and the joins are easy and I haven't had any problems with them coming apart when I knit. The cables are a bit thicker than the knitpicks options but they are nice as well.

Boyes: I DID like the fact they were each a different color so it was very easy to tell what sizes I had. I HATED the cables. They were SO thick and not flexible. They actually caused my wrists to hurt when knitting in the round ( I did about 5 booga bags with them).

So there's my beef. I Hope this helps others when they are shopping for interchangables ;)

~danielle~

losnana
04-16-2007, 08:41 PM
I love my Options, but agree with Amy about the way the kit is organized. I'd also love a 16" cable, and a 40" one. I found that the pockets that are divided into 2 or 3 sections aren't really large enough to open well. But I love the needle tips and the VERY flexible cables. I've never had any problem with the cables coming unscrewed.

Paws4Knitting
04-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Are Options still great to have even though so many knitters are having to tighten them and worry about the joins coming lose? :shrug:

Would you still buy them? :shrug:

Carol_OH
04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I love Denises; haven't tried the Options, but I didn't like Boyes because the needle itself wasn't long enough for me

jdee
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a set of options, and I LOVE them! I love the flexable cable. The metal needles are so smooth to knit with, and I love the pointy tip. I used to wish there were a shorter cable with the set, but since I've learned the Magic Loop method of knitting in the round (thanks to Amy's videos), that's no longer a big concern for me. Like the rest of you, I wish the set were more organized. I ended up writing my needle sizes on the zipper pouches with sharpie. :teehee: I know I'm not the only one who's done this, because reading someone else's post gave me the idea.

I also have a set of Denises, but I haven't had them very long. I ordered them from ebay, and just got them last week. I've only made one small project (a water bottle cozy), so I can't do a really comparison between them and my options. I can say, however, that I loved knitting with them. The cable is thicker, but very flexable. In fact, because it's thicker, I feel like it's sturdier, and less likely to break. I know that's just my imagination, because I've never broken one of my options. It's just one of those silly ideas I sometimes get in my head. :rofl: The set is very well organized, and I like that about it.

But I have to say that I didn't vote, because I honestly can't pick a favorite. I like them both equally.

Jennifer

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
i have the kp options set and i have solved 2 of the most common problems.

1. cables not short enough.
buy the longer ones (very cheap) and knit with magic loop. or use 2 circs to knit in the round. (it really is very easy, and i have not had ladders yet where i switch from needle to needle, or loop to loop.

2. needles get mixed up b/c the sizes are not stamped on the needles tips.
buy the 'view sizer' and you can measure your needle tips easily. it's very cheap, and it actually is very specific and measures the difference between a size 1 needle that is 2.25 vs. a size 1 needle that is 2.5 mm OR size 2 needle that is 2.75 mm and a size 2 that is 3.00 mm. they also have a slot to measure the diff between sizes 10, 10-1/2 and 10-3/4. for 1.99, i don't think it can be beat. to top that off, the area where you count stitches in the 4 inch ruler area has a magnifier to help count the stitches.

i love love love my kp options! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

humblestumble
04-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, I use Boye Needlemasters, but I use them less and less. The threading of the inside of the needles gets worn out so easily and I find that while knitting, (this isn't ALWAYS the case) the needles untwist and sometimes my work slides off the cable without my knowledge. So I have to keep twisting the cables to get them to be stable.

However, I can take the individual needles to hobby lobby for an exact exchange with no questions asked.

One of these days I might get another interchangeable set, but I am liking separates for now.

GinnyG
04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm so glad you posted this poll. I waded through the 59 ages of the other post and think I was even more confused. This makes it a bit clearer (ya think!!) that the Options may be worth holding out for.

sig
04-17-2007, 08:15 AM
i have the denises set and love it! Wish the options set was shipped intenationally. You all talk so much about your great needles!!! yes, i´m jealous. :gah: By the way, i had to order the denises set online because i can´t find them in spain!! :!!!:

Ingrid
04-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I never felt the need for interchangeables (and still probably don't really need them), but I bought the Options after hearing how much like the Addis they are. I've very pleased with them, but I agree about the storage and lack of labeling.

The pointier tips have already come in handy.

mimi
04-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I bought the Options after all the reviews on this forum. I also have addis. My Options keep coming unscrewed. My addi points seem too blunt after working with the Options. So I like both, and am so happy to be part of such a friendly forum with so many helpful readers like all of you.

dustinac
04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I have the options, Denise's, and Boye's...

I voted for the options because since Christmas my Denise's haven't seen the light of day and my Boye's haven't seen the light of day in over a year :teehee:

I don't have a problem with the options case at all.. I'm very organized person to the point it drives those around me crazy..so I'm surprised to read that so many have problems with that.. :teehee: I have the single pockets for my dpns and I just made little card to put inside telling me what size.. they go up to size 3s... then I have my cords in the two pockets.. I have another card in one pocket letting me know the size.. then you get to my tips where I cut the little sizes off the cardboard they came in and dropped that in each set.. so I know which slot they go back in to.. I find it very organized and very easy for me to get to what I need..I also can keep pen, my yarn cutter, stitch markers, tapestry needle, crochet hook, finger nail file, cable needle all in my case..

I find the options slick and smooth.. the join is like your not using an interchangeable set but a solid knitting needle... I find the tips allow me to knit with no problems.. the yarn seems to just glide over them...I love their cables not stiff at all...

I love that I can buy extra pieces I almost have another full set of these (once a certain order arrives)...

I was not one who used the shorter cable in the denises much cause I don't knit a lot of hats but I can see where this would be a problem...

The Denise's I liked them they were awesome compared to the boyes but after using the options I realized the yarn didn't flow as well for me.. I did have problems with the joins.. I did like how they just clicked for me no having to deal with a key...I didn't care for the case though cause all I could carry in it was the needle tips and circs..

The boye's I thought the joins were awful and the cables to stiff.. I also had problems with them twisting off no matter how tight I got them..

DoulaLyndsey
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I voted for the Options.

I've owned the Denise needles, the Boye needles and the Options needles. The only two I still own are the Denise and the Options. The Denise are nice and were my favorite until I got the Options. I find that as a tight knitter the yarn doesn't slide across the resin as easy as I'd like. Plus, my yarn always seemed to get caught on that little indent at the end of the needle. However, this set is helpful because it has the 17" cord, which I use a lot.

The Options are my favorite, I got them at Christmas time and have pretty much used them exclusively since. They are slick and easy to knit with. The cables are wonderfully flexible and I can easily do magic loop with them. I like the organization of the case, I simply used a Sharpie and wrote the needle sizes on the outside of the pockets and it keeps everything very organized.

I didn't like the Boye needles at all. Yes, the colors were pretty and the needle sizes went all the way down to size 2, but the cables were way too stiff. I couldn't do magic loop with them and the shortest cable was 20". I ended up selling them.

Wahlee
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I've never used the Boye or the Denise set, so my experience isn't too wide-- but I love my Options. I used Addi Turbos almost exclusively before, and because I was so used to the slick metal finish, I never even considered the Boye or Denise set (the Boye is metal, but it's not as slick as the Options). When using the key, I've had no problems with anything coming undone-- and the key is easy enough to use.

I also like the organization of the Options set because it does give you so many options-- like the set, it's adaptable for different situations. Since I plan on expanding my starter set with the bigger sizes, more cables, and more tips in my most-used sizes, it gives me the option to organize them any way I want (I'm planning on doubling up on the triple and double pockets-- there's plenty of room for two sets of tips, especially if they're the same size or close to it). Then I use small rectangular sticker-labels to let me know what's in each pocket.

The fact that there's no size stamped on the needle doesn't bother me, but I guess it's because I've always had to use a needle sizer anyway-- the Addis supposedly have their size stamped on the cable, but *I* can't read them :P. Now that I've got the pockets labeled, it's actually easier for me to find the needle I need!

I'm keeping my Addi Turbos because they're almost all 16" ones, which, of course, don't come with the Options. But I'll probably only be using them if I have to-- I love the pointy tips on the Options!

brownishcoat
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
You CAN test-drive the Boye interchangeables. Hobby Lobby sells individual tips, cables and buttons ($2.99 each piece), and if you don't have one near you, they can be ordered online at www.craftsetc.com.

The Options short cable issue doesn't affect me, because I enjoy using the Magic Loop technique*. I also don't have organization issues, because I left my needles on the cardstock sheet they came attached to. Eventually, I plan to copy the card, cut/fold it in half, reinforce it (I have some decoupage medium), re-thread it and place both halves facing out in one of the large plastic pockets. I'll probably post a photo if I ever get this done. ;)

*My first Options order was a pair of tips in size 5 and 10.5, a 40" cable set, and size 0, 1 and 3 classic 32" circs - essentially making doubles of all my Boye sizes, while adding the 0 and 1 that's not included. I made a point of getting a cable size that was not available in the complete set. Unfortunately, they enchanted me immediately and I had to have the entire set. Now I only need the larger tips, classic 32" circ in size 2 and probably the 47" and 60" cable sets.

I highly recommend getting a rubber grip for your Options set; many KHers have had problems with tips coming loose. Amy recommended cutting the palm from a rubber glove, and it works great!

The only advantages that Boye has over Options is the greater size range and that each needle tip size is a different color. Otherwise, they have NOTHING on the Options. :D

madametj
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I like the Denise set, but they do come undone quite often as I knit, which well, doesnt make me very happy :doh:. I luv the organization of the Denises. The only tiny problem is that i get never quite tell where the cable should go :?? .

I'll probably get the Options set in a year or so, and hopefully they'll have a 17" size by then.

madametj
04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
i have the denises set and love it! Wish the options set was shipped intenationally. You all talk so much about your great needles!!! yes, i´m jealous. :gah: By the way, i had to order the denises set online because i can´t find them in spain!! :!!!:

hey, where there's a will, there's a way. Maybe if you know someone in the US, you could have it shipped to them, and have them ship it to you. Sure, u'll have some $hipping to $pend on, but u'll have your loverly needles :flirt:

luv2knit
04-17-2007, 02:02 PM
I have the Rainbow Set of Denise Needles. I don't like metal type needles, so these work well for me. However I haven't ever tried the other sets, so I basically haven't even compared them! My other favorites are bamboos, but none of mine are interchangeable.

I only have two "complaints" regarding the Denise Needles, but I contacted the company and they were very helpful. First I do have several joints that seem to be very loose...I sent one cord in, but even then the replacement was still a bit loose. I actually ordered several pink cords and they are very tight! I asked about it and they said they were trying an improved connection and they were in the pink ones. I am considering asking if they will exchange all the ones I have trouble with with the pink cords. Second one set of my needles seems to shred a bit, like the layers are coming off...they told me to use a very fine sandpaper and it should help the problem. I am in the process of doing that, it's only helped a little.

Despite those issues, I use them all the time. I really like the cables with my Denise Needles, they are flexible, and I can adjust the length. The case keeps everything together and I can grab it and go! I did purchase extra cords, buttons and extenders, because I found I was using them a lot! Obviously don't work on one project at time!

Quiltlady
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I have the Denise set and I love them. They are just perfect in my eyes. Work like a dream and are smooth to the touch. I'm more than happy with them. :muah:

brendajos
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I am a little curious about the people having problems with their Denise Needles coming apart. Now, I understand that if they are trying to "improve" them then they obviously felt there was a need. However, I had THREE sets of them, including one of the sets that has been posted about, and never had one come undone. Are the people who are having trouble with them making sure that they are twisting them when they join until they click? The only time I ever heard someone say that they were coming apart was when they realized later that they weren't twisting them until they heard the little click (or at least felt it.)

If that isn't the problem then definitely contact Denise. They are warranted!

dustinac
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I am a little curious about the people having problems with their Denise Needles coming apart. Now, I understand that if they are trying to "improve" them then they obviously felt there was a need. However, I had THREE sets of them, including one of the sets that has been posted about, and never had one come undone. Are the people who are having trouble with them making sure that they are twisting them when they join until they click? The only time I ever heard someone say that they were coming apart was when they realized later that they weren't twisting them until they heard the little click (or at least felt it.)

yeah mine only came apart on me one time and that was really cause I thought I had a clever idea.. was making my daughter a dress and wanted to see if it was long enough on her.. so thought I could attach all the cables together to get it on her without taking it off the needles :rofl: ... it didn't work... :doh:

The join problems I was talking about was more of cotton didn't slide over the joined areas very well and I found finer yarns didn't.. but nothing like boyes...

luv2knit
04-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Of course I checked to see if I was connecting them correctly. I even had someone else try them. They simply just do not snap together and stay in place. I did contact the company and they did replace one. However as I mentioned earlier they did tell me they were trying to improved them. I looked very closely at mine and you can see that my pink cord's connector are just a tiny bit wider where you snap them, than they are on the blue ones. It's very likely some just don't work as well as other and you got three really great sets. Unlike me another another person we just have ones that don't work quite as well. The company was more that happy to help me and answer all my questions. I have not yet contacted them regarding the rest of mine, but after having recent issues with a couple of cords I was planning on getting back in touch with them.

ETA: I just emailed the company and asked what to do, I will wait to hear from them. I do know it is not something I am not doing correctly, and I am pretty sure the company will give me some helpful advice or offer to replace them.

madametj
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM

The problem used to be the whole not-clicking thing, but i became very alert of that. what started happening later was that when the stitches were tight on the cable, i would kind of twist the needle back and forth to get the stitches on to it and well, thats when the needle would come off.

but sometimes it doesnt take anything at all, i've screwed them on right, gave em a good tug to make sure, and i'm happily knitting away and POP half my stitches are dropped. i guess its just because knitting in itself is a circular motion, and it just takes the slightest motion for the cables to come loose.

brendajos
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah I almost didn't post that because I was afraid someone was going to be offended and think I was suggesting that they were daft... I really wasn't.... I promise! ;)

madametj
04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah I almost didn't post that because I was afraid someone was going to be offended and think I was suggesting that they were daft... I really wasn't.... I promise! ;)

Oh, I know you didn't mean anything by it, and be sure that I didn't mean anything by it either!

p.s. what is daft? :??

ETA: ah, I see.

daft /dæft, dɑft/
–adjective, -er, -est. 1. senseless, stupid, or foolish.
2. insane; crazy.

Miss Moosey
04-19-2007, 10:32 AM
daft (adj)
1. senseless, stupid, or foolish.

I am now considering getting an interchangable set, and after reading all your comments I'm still not sure whether to go the Denise route or the Options route. They both look like they have their advantages and disadvantages and I'm not sure which one adds up to the better set! Ack! :wall:

The good news is that I won't get the set until my birthday (August), so I'll have much more time to do this :wall: until then.

Rebecca

Jan in CA
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I am now considering getting an interchangable set, and after reading all your comments I'm still not sure whether to go the Denise route or the Options route. They both look like they have their advantages and disadvantages and I'm not sure which one adds up to the better set!

You are correct. They both have advantages and disadvantages. A question to ask yourself is whether you like metal or resin (which feels sorta like plastic).

Re: the unscrewing and loosening of needles. I've never had that happen with the Denise or KP I own.

Paws4Knitting
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I think I might get both!!! Ha!!! :teehee:

That way- if one makes me mad- I have the other!!!! :cheering:

Great reasoning, huh? :rofl:

I just received my KP Options last night, I am going to give them a thorough look over and if I feel they will bother me in some way- too much so- I will just send them back. :pout:

I think (realistically) I would still like the Denises for the shorter cable. And the fact that they are good on airlines, a plus anymore. :cheering:

momwolf
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I got me Option needle today and everything checks out fine :happydance: Maybe it's when you buy the whole set that people have problems :shrug: Haven't used it yet but when I do I'll let you know if I like it .I got size 10 1/2 needle.

madametj
04-19-2007, 07:50 PM
i meant to say this before when someone mentioned that KP is the only kit that sells parts seperately

Denise does that too ;) http://www.knitdenise.com/collections/all-products/

brownishcoat
04-20-2007, 12:36 PM
i meant to say this before when someone mentioned that KP is the only kit that sells parts seperately

Denise does that too ;) http://www.knitdenise.com/collections/all-products/

So, basically, all three sets sell individually? Should have guessed! :D

Paws4Knitting
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I would imagine the individual is the better way to go than the kit. :star: I got my kit yesterday, played with it last night, and each of the needles except for the bigger sizes came loose. :?eyebrow: I am going to send them back and possibly next time just order the individuals.

I am worried that it is a faulty design, anything that is supposed to screw into something is also supposed to unscrew (my husbands comment), and I think they will continue to do that over time. :pout:

I vote no for the KnitPicks Kit if people continue to have to deal with that type of issue (design flaw). When they are loose- you feel it!

Sorry Knitpick kit fans- don't be made at me. :verysad:

I am also bummed they do that- I was very much looking forward to those being the Cadillac of Needles. :shock:

Braden
04-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, I have the Knit Picks Options and the Boyes, but I don't use my Boyes anymore. KnitPicks for me!

bjc1050
04-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the Boye Needlemaster set and really don't like them. I don't like the feel of the metal or the cord or the fact that they come loose if you don't check them every so often and understand that this is a frequent problem with most interchangeable sets. I prefer the regular Addi's, Susan Bates Silverado, or Inox Express circulars.

Paws4Knitting
04-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I actually just bought the Denises yesterday :cheering: , and I am very happy with them. I was a little reluctant to buy them because some people were discussing the plastic/ resin (?) feel- but I really like them. The lock seems much more secure then the KP's.

I also wasn't to fond of the metal needles with the KP'S, I felt like I lost control too much! :pout:

Chrissie
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: my Options. I like both bamboo and metal needles...I tried the Denises, but didn't like the join. The join on the Options is perfect! I have a few needles that loosen, but only when I don't use the tightening key. I never have a problem when I use the key. And the points on the options are so nice and sharp! I can manuever stitches so easily with them!

luv2knit
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I received a call from Denise Needles (on Friday.)..they hadn't had any electricity for most of the week so they had just gotten my email regarding my problem with my cables. They are going to send me a brand new set of cables this week to replace the ones I am having trouble with. Very apologetic and wanting to make sure I was happy with my set.

I really do :heart: my Denise set and I still highly recommend them! :cheering:

carmabelle1191
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I just got a set of Options, and I :heart: them. They are slick, don't unscrew (sorry for all those people whose do), and have pointy tips that help me manouever k2tog's and ssk's much better than with other needles. Before I got a set of Options, I really didn't enjoy using them and always stuck to straights. But now that I have the Options, I have been working both my straight and circular projects and them. My only complaint was that today I used the 7s with some cotton and worked on some lace and they got nicked a few hours later. I don't think that's supposed to happen, so I e-mailed customer service on their opinion. They haven't gotten back to me yet though. :nails:

Mommy22alyns
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I love and adore my Options. Disclaimer - I'm a new knitter and haven't tried the Denises or Addis. My first attempt was with some Balenes, I think? Horrible. I ordered a taste of Options and was sold. My knitting teacher loaned me a pair of circs - Boyes, I believe - and I realized the big complaint with unflexible cables. My knitting was flopping all over the place!

The Options are pointy & slick, the cables are incredible, and the joins are perfect. I do check on the joins, but they've only come loose a couple of times and I can tell by the way the yarn slips onto the cable.

So another Options lover here!! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
04-28-2007, 12:59 AM
OPTIONS #1 Favorite! Slick, exact, and wonderully priced! Love the "case"!

#2 Favorite: Lantern Moon 'Ebony' circs. Moderately fast, blunter tips, however...price prohibitive. I purchase them "as needed" and only then!

cnit
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I am a beginner so I can't compare. However I do have a preference for slick metal since I still knit tightly. The cables are a dream, very thin and flexible. I am very happy with my set and think this is a very economical way to go.
It helps to buy a needle gauge as these have no labels. I labeled the sleeves that come with the set and organize my needles in the smaller sleeves.
You have to spend a little time to organize this set but I suspect this is what is keeping the price down, which I appreciate.
I wonder if you can apply a tiny spot of metal paint to the needles to color code them?
I performed surgery on my 24" cable and shortened it (epoxy glue works great), so from tip to needle tip it measures 18" and I was able to knit my first hat. The knitting on my shortened circular needle was a bit tight as I think the needles are a bit longer (therefore the cable is shorter) than other sets. I like longer needles but I think I will try increasing it to a 19" circular needle and see if this will be more comfortable. Do you think I will be able to knit a hat on 19" circular needles? I would love some feedback on this before I do this! Maybe shorter needles are better for a small project.
Thanks, :heart: Carol

DianaM
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I have both Denises and Options and I like them both.

I knit with Denises for a year, but afterwards realized that I like the feel of metal better and got Options. Those are the ones I use the most these days.

As for organization, aside from knitting at work and school, I don't have time to go out much, so carrying a small project for breaks is all I need at the moment. All of my knitting notions were divided between a lot of boxes and zippered pockets, but I recently bought a big tackle box and moved them all there.

This is what it looks like now

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/480537624_02e35e8266.jpg

Carla1019
05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Diana
Drool.............

Love that idea..

DianaM
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM
^__^

What I loved most was the cashier's reaction when she asked:

"Fishing?"

Me: "No....kniiiiitting"

O_O

:roflhard:

ArtLady1981
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey there Diana! Thanks for sharing! You have inspired us! :cheering:

hydeemarie
05-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I do have to say that I am going to get a tackle box now!! lol no seriously! :heart: thanx for the idea! And i vote for the Denise set. i have Addi turbo needles(2 circs) and i like them, but they are almost too slick for me, so i like the denise set for the fact that they dont just slide right off of the needle and the cord is sooo flexible and not stiff!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

hydeemarie
05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
^__^

What I loved most was the cashier's reaction when she asked:

"Fishing?"

Me: "No....kniiiiitting"

O_O

:roflhard:
so do you have your options and denise set in your tackle box at all times? lol :teehee:

DianaM
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Yup, I do! They get along greatly :teehee:

In the picture, look at the trays on the right side and you'll see in the lowest tray, the colored Denise tips. The KPO tips are right by them. I just put a small card in each compartment with the needle size.

Cables for each set are in the bottom of the tackle box, in the KPO's single pouches. You can buy them separately at Knit Picks, so I just got enough for my cables.

hydeemarie
05-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah I really really really like the denise set.... But as soon as i have enough money, I am going to get the Options and sell my denise set b/c I am finding more and more that i like continental knitting and i want to knit that way all of the time, but the denise needles prevent it b/c of the plastic. Does anyone else find this??

geekgolightly
05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
OT: HanAku, I love your idea! My knitting stuff is scattered in varying boxes and tins. I've wanted to consolidate and organize and your idea is perfect! :cheering:

</ OT>

I love Options. I do wish that there were more cable lengths.

DianaM
05-14-2007, 12:50 AM
OT: HanAku, I love your idea! My knitting stuff is scattered in varying boxes and tins. I've wanted to consolidate and organize and your idea is perfect! :cheering:

</ OT>

Although each arrangement is unique, if anyone is interested in the one I got, its a Plano (http://www.planomolding.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=product&lineid=4&groupid=11&sectionid=31&partid=165) tacklebox and I got it at Wally World for 20 bucks.

brendajos
05-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah I really really really like the denise set.... But as soon as i have enough money, I am going to get the Options and sell my denise set b/c I am finding more and more that i like continental knitting and i want to knit that way all of the time, but the denise needles prevent it b/c of the plastic. Does anyone else find this??

Yeah I saw this several days after you posted but I had to note that I have only ever knitted continental and did quite happily with my Denise needles. The ony problem I EVER had with them is that the cord is about the exact same thickness as the smallest needles and that was an issue for me. Don't see any reason why you couldn't knit continental with them. :shrug:

momwolf
05-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I have only ordered Options individually and have had no problem with them coming apart.The points are really sharp and are killing my finger tip! Have poked many holes in my finger,have to wear a bandaid on my finger now to knit.I knit Continental.Might have to switch to Addis

GinnyG
05-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Now that I have done a couple projects with my Denise I need to say I am NOT at all happy with them.:waah::waah:.

I looked into returning them but interestingly enough the internet site I purchased them from specifically states "No return of Denise sets". Hmmmmmm, wish I had noticed that BEFORE I ordered.

The cord is too thick, the yarn does not slide smoothly. But EVEN WORSE, they keep coming apart. The extender that connects two cables to make a desired length is WORTHLESS and pops apart at a whim. I did have trouble with the needles popping of but I think I figured out that was user difficulty. But the extender DEFINATELY doesn't hold and I tried several. The round plastic ends (to use if you want to use the cables like straight needles or to use them as stitch holders also are difficult to put on and pop off easily.

I plan to write the Denise Company a letter.

I shoulda gotten the options:waah:

I purchased the whole shebang, extra cables and ends, and now I feel like I have totally wasted $80.00

Stonington
05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Ginny, you may be able to sell the Denises. There are many folks out there that love them. My Options came Saturday and I love the cables... you hardly even notice they are there :) the needles are light and very comfortable to use with no drag on the joins.

hugs,
anne

DianaM
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
GinnyG go into the Buy/Swap section of the forum. I'm sure you'll find someone to take the Denise's from you ^_^

JoeE
05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Ginny,

Sorry you're not enjoying your Denise set. I hate to hear that. I really like mine. The thick cable is the only drawback I've found. I prefer the Denise tips, because they are a bit less slippery than other needles, and that's good for me. I drop stitches like crazy on slippery needles.

I'm sure someone will want to buy them if you decide you just can't stand them.

debz
05-24-2007, 02:59 AM
i have only got the denises interchangeable and have to say i dont really like them, i find the shorter length extremely hard to work with i think it could do with being a couple of cm longer. yarn tends to stick to them and i dont find the cables flexible enough ( i like to do magic loop with socks) i also find the cable quite thick.
the only good thing i found with them is that when i was knitting a bag and i had to increase stitches rapidly, the needles gave that little bit of extra give to accomodate the increases.

kyrolakatz
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I am a total newbie to knitting, but I have the Denise set because it was the only set I could find in the YS I was shopping in at the time :o)

I really like them - but I do find that some yarn sticks to the plastic connectors.

Seeing the posts about the options set, I was considering buying it also, but only having 2 cord lengths is a turn off.

brownishcoat
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
There are 3 cable lengths available for ordering from KP that are not included in the set: 40-47-60".

The cable sets are $3.99 and each set includes 2 cables, 4 endcaps and a tightening key. Definitely a great deal.

knottyknitter
05-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I love my knitpicks options set. I have the boye set, don't like the m because the cables are to stiff.

Braden
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, the Options are really just like Addis except for tips and cords.

hydeemarie
05-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, the Options are really just like Addis except for tips and cords.
So thats why you only use those?

Nobones
05-29-2007, 05:13 AM
I have to say I'm really confused now. I was planning to save for a set of Denise needles, but now I'm wondering about the others which you can't get in the UK. I do need a really small circular needle so the Knitpicks would be best, but..... oh I'm so confused! :pout:

Braden
05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Hydee- YUP!

chilpepmom
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I have the Denise needles. I find the tips to be a little pointy, but like the idea of always having an extra set. I have so many needles that I've bought over the years. I just bought a pair of dpn's for socks that are made in India! They are so smooth and a joy to work with!

phoenixjen
06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't know how long they have had the size 17 and 19 tips available for Denise needles but I am very happy! I plan on buying both!!

Jenny

nuknitter
06-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Phoenixjen - pm'd you!

Mirl56
06-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a Denise set and like it very much. I knit a cotton skirt w/it and had repeated problems with the join getting 'funky' and they were quick to replace the cable. I figured the cotton yarn wasn't sliding around it happily and switched to a regular cable needle for that project. I like how it is organized and quick to see what size is being used/missing from the binder. :cheering:I don't like how there is no way to store any added needles/cables in the binder. :cry:

I do have several knit pick circ needles and like them very much. If some day I have extra cash or someone just needs to buy me a present, I may get the knit pick set.

These days I am most knitting socks on 2 circs and already have 2 circs of sizes 1, 2, 3, 4 so I don't expect to be needle shopping any time soon anyway.

tootie44
06-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I just got my Denise set, after having used the Boyes. I really like the Denises a lot better because of the flexibility of the cord. It was kind of hard to get used to the plastic needles as they are not as pointy as the metal ones in the boye set, but now that I am used to them I think they are awesome!

MrsJSD
06-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I am intrigued by the idea of interchangeable needles
BUT
I already have so many needles! I usually have what I need, but not always. Then I go and buy...often something new, so I have bamboo, Addis, rosewood, ebony, handmade wood. I sort of think it's more fun than having a set. Organization is quite problematic, however. The idea of having a "kit" which is orderly is very appealing.

MAmaDawn
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I love my Boye's..... :heart::heart::heart:

What made me choose the honestly is the price.... I got them off ebay for a steal!!!! I paid about 1/2 what they were at Micheals and Ac Moore!!!!

The cables were a little stiff at first. but honestly I have found that they lossen up and I haven't had them come loose unless I don't tighten them with the tool that comes with it.

I think they are great!!!!! And I love the fact that I can easily get extra parts is a HUGE plus...:thumbsup:

itsjustmeghan
06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
i had denise needles, but the cables weren't flexible enough for me. i wanted to be able to use them for magic loop, and they just wouldn't cooperate. i also had problems with the needles and cables unlocking on me. my other complaint is kinda stupid once i write it out, but there were too many parts! too many cables to find and figure out which ones added up to the right length etc. and while they had a nice case to carry them in, i could never get them back in there the way they were originally.

so i sold them.
and i got some KP options. i LOVE LOVE LOVE them. the cables are perfect, the needles are slick so you can knit fast. once they are tightened down, i've had no problems. you wouldn't even know they are interchangeables. and i love that you have the option of buying longer length cables. love that.
well worth the price!

jberry16
06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I have both the denise and the options, I have to say I loved the denise until I got my hands on the options. I have a few addis and :heart: those so I figured I'd like the options. The only thing that would be nice is if the options were organized like the denise, then I'd be one VERY happy camper.