PDA

View Full Version : OT : prayers for Virginia Tech

vaknitter
04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I know this is posted, but wanted to say that my husband was just notified that his advisor from his Masters and PhD was killed at VT today. Thank GOD my husband decided to move here to UVA when we got married. His advisor leaves behind a wife and 3 children. Another one of his professors was shot in the arm. People from his lab on the 1st floor report a horrific scene where they could here people screaming and being shot above them. They also saw people jumping from the windows covered in blood.

Please pray for all these families. There is no explanation for such an act. To the poster of the original post I hope your husband is home safe.

Eloewien
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Please give him a hug for me... so far, I haven't heard any names of anyone I know.

HollyP
04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
:hug: to everyone involved. My heart really goes out to everyone who lost someone today. You all are in my prayers. I can't believe something like this happened. I really don't know many people there anymore but the students I do know are safe and for that I am eternally grateful.

Ronda
04-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm very sorry. :pray:

marykz
04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
The freshman daughter of one of our church families was killed. I've known her family for years. it is so sad.....

Guin
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
This was such a horrid thing to happen. I am so angry and saddened at the same time . Especially after reading this.
http://www.nbc10.com/news/12236817/detail.html

" Steger also defended the delay in warning students about the gunman. By the time students started receiving e-mail alerts, the second shooting had begun.

The university was trying to notify students who were already on campus, not those who were commuting in, Steger said. He said he thought the best way to keep students safe was to confine them to their classrooms. "

The way I see it , alot of lives could have been saved if the warning was not delayed .
My heart and prayers go out to those lost in this . :hug:

iza
04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
vaknitter, this is terrible news. Thank god your husband is fine, but I'm sure he is in shock after all this. All my thoughts to him and you. And of course to all the people of VTech and their families. :verysad:

Eloewien
04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, there is no way to get a mass communication out... they did all they could. Unfortunately, VT just doesn't have a way to communicate once people are in class...

PCwombat
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
:hug: :hug: :heart: :heart:

My heart goes out to all of the students, families, and friends affected by this horrible event. Fortunately, the only person I know who goes there is fine. I am so sorry for those who are not.

My college held a moment of silence today for all those at Virginia Tech, and we're holding a candlelight vigil tonight.

VictoiseC
04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Such horrendous happenings. I am so saddened at this and the loss of these fine people. How can this be stopped in this country??? prayers

GennyLynn1962
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of VT and their family and friends.

vaknitter
04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
This is something that was recently posted by Virginia Tech, if the picture doesn't come thru, it is Hoke Hope. You may be able to access the same info via www.vt.edu, Hokie Hope originally started to encourage students to show their Hokie pride before football games. VT is encouraging everyone, everywhere to wear orange and maroon on Friday in a show of support for all those affected by this tragedy.

My husbands friends were in the building, 2 of his professors were killed, one shot. Not we find out that one of the professors killed was the father of one of our grad students.

Shandeh
04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I just made a ribbon for my husband to wear on the back of his name tag at work. I used DMC floss in the colors 498 and 946, braided them together, tied the ends, and trimmed them neatly.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/464094385_0d4404b34f_m.jpg

jjminarcik
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
[quote="Shandeh"]I just made a ribbon for my husband to wear on the back of his name tag at work. I used DMC floss in the colors 498 and 946, braided them together, tied the ends, and trimmed them neatly.

quote]

Shandeh - that is so creative! Very thoughtful! :heart:

Eloewien
04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Just if you're interested.... http://www.wesupportvt.com/