PDA

View Full Version : What kind of needles for magic loop?

DreamWeaver
04-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey everyone, how are you? I've been meaning to try magic-loop-toe-up socks, but I'm not quite sure what kind of needle to use. KP options seems pretty popular, as well as addi's, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't pay billions for hundreds of different needles. :teehee:

Thanks for the help!

DQ
04-17-2007, 04:40 AM
I think you can use any brand of needles you're happy with. The most important thing with magic loop is the have a long cable :)

Panhandle Jane
04-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I use Knit Picks Classic Circulars for Magic Loop socks. They are inexpensive and have very flexible cables. The longest length, however, in sock sizes, is 32". That works fine for me because I don't like doing two socks at the same time. I find them very nice to work with.

roseybee
04-17-2007, 07:35 AM
I started out with Boye Needlemaster but didn't like them. The cables weren't very flexible, the joining between the cable and needle formed an angle that always caught the stitches, and in order to have a long cable you had to join smaller ones, making more of those angles.
Now I have the Kitpicks options. I chose not to get the case, saving myself $, and for now I only have some of the tips (the sizes I use most). My birthday is right before Mother's Day, so hopefully I can get the rest then!

Anyway, thos are the only ones I've tried and I don't see any reason to try any others. I love the KPO! :heart: Long, flexible cables, slippery metal tips with no catching of the stitches. :muah:

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 08:57 AM
yep, what you need the most, is length in your cable. 32" could do it, but 40" would be better.

suzeeq
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
A 36" length could work too, especially if you're going to do only one at a time. I have a 40" needle and even though it's in a large size, the cord gets in the way for most things I do with it. The package was marked 36", but oh well...

sue

Wrennn
04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Addi turbos, 36"-40", Whatever you use you want them to be slick enough that the yarn moves easily on them.

knitqueen
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
The flexibility of the cord is equally important as the length of the cord. Any stiff cable and you will be wrestling with your knitting, and frustrated. Addi Turbos are perfect for magic loop, I prefer the 40" length but a bit shorter works too. Longer than 40" isn't necessary.

mdog182
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
i, too, enjoy the kp options set. i've done magic loop (not for socks though) and the cord was awesome for it. if you have a tight budget i would highly recommend picking up the set. i used to be a strictly straight needle girl unless i ABSOLUTELY had to use circulars but i am slowly turning into a mostly circular user because of my set. why go and buy a straight needle when i already have the size in my options??