PDA

View Full Version : History of knitting

Guin
04-17-2007, 11:17 AM
So often while knitting I wonder as to whom I owe thanks to for creating such a wonderful craft. :muah:

And so this curiousity has led me to do a search .

Found this ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_knitting

Thought I would share with all of you the history of knitting.
Happy learning !!

cds11
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for this, unfortunately I think I'll have to force myself to leave it and read it later ( :!!!: finals!) But I have wondered for awhile now (well, since a little after I started knitting in January) how exactly knitting came about...

ironmaiden
04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for sharing, that was actually really interesting!

Jeremy
04-17-2007, 02:52 PM
If anyone is interested, here is a collection of patterns given out by the Red Cross to volunteer knitters during WWII.
http://www.redcross.org/museum/exhibits/knits.asp

Limey
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi Guin

Thanks so much for posting this topic - I've been beetling about the web for a while now, trying to find out how the weird and wonderful way I have of holding long, straight needles came about.

According to the V&A Museum, my way of holding the right needle under my arm, enables knitters to move about as they knit. It seems there was a great divide in the UK - northern knitters held the needle under the right arm and was known as 'production' knitting - ie - a fast way of knitting - churning out the stuff to earn money.

The 'pen' hold as I call it, came later and was used by more affluent knitters in the south.

If you Google History of Knitting, there are a good few sites on the subject, such as:-

www.alitadesigns.com/knitting.

www.geocities.com/invtex/knitwear/history.htm

www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/knitting/

Seems the first knitting machine was invented by a clergyman circa 1580, :eyes: (the mind boggles!) and was used to make stockings!

Thanks again for the post - can't wait to see what other people dig up.

All the Best

Limey

RiverDaughter
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh wow, thank you for the patterns! I actually hd an old WW2 Navy heavy overshirt uniform piece as a child, as it kept me warm and dry (something that's hard to do in Seattle). I don't see the pattern on that site, but now I really want to go find it and make myself a new one! :teehee:

I love the article mentioning Naalbinding, though. I actually have a very nice scarf made in that style, and I wubbres it to death. :cheering:

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
boy knitter chiming in:

this one is inaccurate: www.geocities.com/invtex/knitwear/history.htm in omitting men from the story.

it was not women's work until fairly recently in the scheme of things. the first recorded knitting guild was in paris in the 1500s and men only. in many cultures, men still do the knitting (think South America, fair isle chulas, etc.) and the women do the spinning. Women were actually not permitted to do much of the knitting when it was industrialized and for profit, that was all men too.

here (http://www.menknit.net/history.html) is some more on the manly history of knitting. :)

Limey
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Sean wrote

"this one is inaccurate: www.geocities.com/invtex/knitwear/history.htm in omitting men from the story."

:guyknitting:

Oh Dear, How Sad, Never Mind.

Still - have a nice day and all that.

Limey

dakatzmeow
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
i love the old red cross patterns. wonder if i could figure out what weight they were talking about? 4/4, 4/16, etc.

boyforpele13
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
limey, i think it's a common thing, really! i still love to read the different accounts. as a boy knitter, just had to add that part!

as for the vintage knitting patterns, knitty did an article about that here (http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter06/FEATvintage.html) and i know i've seen another great site with conversion info, but can't remember now, sorry. :(

Guin
04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
boyforpele13- wow, you must have ALOT of time on your hands to be able to find all the correct links on history of knitting.. :teehee:
Thanks so much for sharing. I know it was custom at one , long ago, time that men solely knit and not women . Unfortunatly I didn't and don't have the time to find those links.

Enjoying all the knowledge and patterns :hug: