PDA

View Full Version : FO: Manly Mitts

stargazingchild
04-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Completed my very fist handwear! The following pattern was used:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTmanlymitts.html

I used Galway worsted 100% wool, in a kind of olive green and black.

I pretty much followed the pattern verbatim.

I love how they have turned out! I will now move on to another uncharted territory: socks!

marykz
04-17-2007, 04:26 PM
those look great- I really like the color combo. I bet they are nice and warm!

Jan in CA
04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Those are great!

sara_jayne
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Wonderful job!

auburnchick
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Oh wow! Those turned out great! Pretty colors too!!!!

kristinw
04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
What a great job!! They look very warm!

newamy
04-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Great mittens. Warm too!

SandraEllen
04-18-2007, 07:24 AM
:inlove:

candicane
04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Great Mittens and beautiful photography!

candice

redwitch
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Your photos are way better than Knitty's! I love the colour choice, the green really pops and makes the pattern more interesting. I have just printed this out, your item made me reconsider the pattern! Any thoughts on keeping the integrity of the colour through the top decreases? I'm thinking about maintaining the green lines, so when the decrease covers both a green and a black stitch, to make it a ssk or a k2tog, whichever were necessary to put the green stitch on top, knitting the new stitch with green. And when knitting two of the same colour, to make the decrease lean toward the middle line of the colour column. Comments from someone who's done the pattern?
Nice work

Sarah

Jillle
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow. Gorgeous!!! I agree, the pics are better than Knitty's. :cheering:

stargazingchild
04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you everyone for the photography comments, and how I'm beating Knitty at it :)

I enjoy setting up the pictures as much as making the items :) Photography was my first passion and I did pretty well with it until a creativity burnout. Hope to refocus on it soon.

In the meantime, I'm combining my new hobby with my old :)

The decreases on top are very simple when it comes to maintaining the pattern. As someone on the board has already said when I posed the question prior to starting, "you'll see when you get there."

If you look at the chart, its always three sts with one color, one of the other.

The first time you decrease, it simply becomes two of one color, one of the other. After that, there are so little stitches, all you can do is simply alternate colors.

The challenge is the checker pattern on the gusset and thumb. For both mitts, maintaining that pattern for the whole area was next to impossible.

I noticed that the pattern calls for 22 sts when working the thumb. Checker patterns should have an odd number of sts. I used 23 sts and decreased 1 just before doing the top sts. Nonetheless, I guess the nature of the shape make it impossible to have a pure checker pattern.

I tried to correct it some with duplicate stitching but there were areas I could not maintain a true checkered pattern. If anyone succeeds, let me know :)

I also had some problems color calibrating those photos. If you see very bright green, it should actually be more of a subdued olive. Still nice though :)

Thanks again for the wonderful comments, and if a yarn store in Montreal is looking for some photo work of their wares, I'll barter with free yarn :)

Your photos are way better than Knitty's! I love the colour choice, the green really pops and makes the pattern more interesting. I have just printed this out, your item made me reconsider the pattern! Any thoughts on keeping the integrity of the colour through the top decreases? I'm thinking about maintaining the green lines, so when the decrease covers both a green and a black stitch, to make it a ssk or a k2tog, whichever were necessary to put the green stitch on top, knitting the new stitch with green. And when knitting two of the same colour, to make the decrease lean toward the middle line of the colour column. Comments from someone who's done the pattern?
Nice work

Sarah

redwitch
04-19-2007, 01:51 AM
I would have added an extra stitch too, thanks for mentioning it. I recently did a checkerboard pattern-type thumb, and decreases with k3togs that might help to maintain patterns on thumbs. If you mean on the rest of the thumb also, I can't see how you'd have a problem with 23 st.s, I'm assuming you meant the tip of thumb only?
Yes, a glove thumb that actually fits a thumb can't really keep perfect check pattern.
I wonder if I could use a different pattern on the thumb...
The word 'thumb' is now starting to lose meaning, it's a funny-shaped word at best of times, no more...
Sarah

carmabelle1191
04-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Those look great, and so very warm! Good job! :happydance:

saracidaltendencies
04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
They look great! I too love the colors!

dewdrops
04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Great mittens! and great picture! :cheering: :notworthy: