PDA

View Full Version : My first time using such tiny knitting needles....

Quiltlady
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm beginning a baby pattern and it calls for needle sizes 2 and 3. I did not own any that small so off to the store I went. I got both in circulars with the metal tips. Luckily I bought the last ones they had in those sizes. :happydance:

I usually knit pretty fast...but I am going at a snails pace with such tiny needles!!! :wall: :wall: I feel like I'm knitting with tooth picks on those size 2's. :oops: Will I ever get use to them do you think?? :shrug:

I wish my Denise set had the smaller sizes in them.

auburnchick
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes, by the end of the project, you'll be used to them. Then, using 10's will seem like you're holding a 2x4. :teehee:

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I used 3's on something a month back and found it awful initially but once I was into it and really knew the pattern and didn't have to keep looking at that it became quicker. I broke plastic needles though very quickly on that job and bought metal replacements. I wouldn't readily use plastic again for that size.

Jan in CA
04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm using size one on my socks and they are taking forever!!

Ingrid
04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Progress is much slower, but you do get used to them. I feel like I knit faster on smaller needles since there's less movement, but it doesn't really matter since the stitches are so small. :shrug:

I find that after knitting with tiny needles, larger needles feel like Kindergarten 'fat' crayons. :teehee:

kristinw
04-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I've been using 0s for the wee sock swap and boy are those small! I feel like they are going to break! Especially when I K2tog.

psammeadred
04-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I used 000's for my Widdle Socks, and whoa...those things are tiny and hard to maneuver! My size 8's feel like telephone poles!

kristinw
04-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I used 000's for my Widdle Socks, and whoa...those things are tiny and hard to maneuver! My size 8's feel like telephone poles!

oh gosh! I can't even imagine using those! :shock: I'm using 8s now for my ISE scarf and they do seem huge!

dakatzmeow
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
yep, once you get used to them, they feel pretty good. then when you pick up a 7 or 8, it will indeed feel like a 2x4 or a telephone pole. :rofl:

debinoz
04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I use my kids' pick-up-stix for a size 2 dpn's. I've never checked to see if they were acually the right size but the gage came out alright. Plus they are bendy and it takes a lot to break them...and you get a couple dozen in a can.

Knitting_Guy
04-19-2007, 08:41 AM
When I first started on my current sock project the small needles felt really awkward and impossible to work with, but I got used to them after a short while and they feel perfectly natural now.

carmabelle1191
04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I use my kids' pick-up-stix for a size 2 dpn's. I've never checked to see if they were acually the right size but the gage came out alright. Plus they are bendy and it takes a lot to break them...and you get a couple dozen in a can.
That's an interesting idea! I've enever heard of knitting with pick-up-stix.
The only time I've knit with such tiny needles was when I was using size 1s on my socks (That turned out too small anyway-maybe next time I should use size 2s :wall:) I knit for at least 5 hours straight, so my wrist was killing me at the end of the day. But I agree with everyone else, I went to go knit with size 8s or something like that and they felt huge. Just hang in there!

auburnchick
04-19-2007, 09:29 AM

oh gosh! I can't even imagine using those! :shock: I'm using 8s now for my ISE scarf and they do seem huge!

I am using 13's for the bathmat I'm making...with three strands of double-worsted yarn! My hands were so sore on Sunday, which is devoted strictly to knitting, that I could hardly hold my school textbook that I was reading the next day.

TeenKnitter
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I knitted a bracelet with thread on size 0000 needles. It was very finicky, but didn't take very long since the bracelet was small. It was like knitting with really long pins, lol