PDA

View Full Version : Does sliver=roving? Use for thrummed mittens?

redwitch
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi all

I want to make some thrummed mittens - spotted an online auction for some very pretty sliver, possibly a bit cheaper than the roving on there.
The references to sliver I found online often say 'sliver/roving' as if they're the same. I can't find out if there's a difference and if so, can sliver still be used for thrummed mittens - you know with bits of roving knitted in, really fluffy inside - and the auction closes in 7 hours. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Sarah

SandraEllen
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
well, according to answers.com:

roving = Natural fiber yarns that have been drawn out and slightly twisted in preparation for spinning.

sliver = A continuous strand of loose wool, flax, or cotton, ready for drawing and twisting.

it almost sounds like roving is slightly more prepared than sliver...
:shrug:

redwitch
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Hmmm... thank you... by the way, if you Google 'thrummed roving' you get lots of results talking about thrummed mittens/socks made with roving.
If you then Google 'thrummed sliver' to see whether there are references to thrummed mittens made with sliver, you get a lot of erotic fiction. Usually it's her heart that's thrumming, but sometimes his tongue. I swear.
Who knew?

Sarah