PDA

View Full Version : Huh????

cookworm
04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay, I decided I'd try to take "the plunge" and check out charts instead of written patterns. I found a really cool pattern for a stitch in Maria Parry-Jones' "The Knitting Stitch Bible" called "Plaited structure with snake cable" (under the Cable section of stitches), and I'm TOTALLY confused--it may as well be written in Martian!!! What in the world is this chart telling me to do???? What does "panel of 44 stitches" mean? Does it mean this is a pattern repeat of 44 stitches? Help!

brendajos
04-19-2007, 01:01 PM
There should be a legend telling you what each of the symbols mean and what the blank spaces mean.

cookworm
04-19-2007, 01:44 PM
It does, but it still doesn't make sense to me. According to the legend, I understand that the blank squares mean to knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side, and that the squares with dots in them mean to purl on the right side and knit on the wrong side, but beyond that, I'm stumped.

The book says "The numbers start at the bottom right hand side, so you follow a chart by reading rigth to left, bottom to top". Then the example they give is of a chart where every line is read from right to left, which I thought when knitting charts (unless it's knit in the round), you read it from right to left, then the next row was read from left to right, etc., not every row is read from right to left.

Then the legend says that for cables where you're holding the cable needle to the front of the work, you "slip 2 stitches onto cable needle and hold at front of work, k2tog, then k2tog from cable needle". Why would I k2tog? On the directions from where you hold the cable needle in back of the work, it says "slip 2 stitches onto cable needle and hold at back of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle". I'm going to assume that the directions given for holding the cable needle to the front of the work mean k2 instead of k2tog because k2tog doesn't make sense to me, especially when there are no increases in the pattern.

Also, some of the slanted lines in the chart don't go fully across the square, so I don't know what to do for those squares.

lulu2
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I also recently tried chart knitting for the first time - after a severe panic attack when I saw my first chart (in an expensive stitches book where all the patterns are in chart form)!! :pout: :help:

Does this site help you? It helped me .... as did a stiff brandy and deep breathing!! :zombie: http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/symbols.cfm?StartRow=1&PageNum=1

Someone told me there is a site where you can convert "normal instructions" to charts, so I am sure there must be a vice versa one.

I must say, I just worked s-l-o-w-l-y and followed every symbol and it did work out! (And now I am not so scared ....) I still don't know WHY anyone would use a chart - they are ugh (IMHO)!!

Good luck!!
lulu

Ingrid
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
The wrong side rows are all purled, so it doesn't really matter how they're read.

Their example has 44 stitches in it, but you could expand it if you wanted by repeating what's between the 'purl on the right side' stitches at the edges.

I would agree that the k2tog directions are a typo.

Actually, when I look at this chart and compare it to the picture, it matches, but if you compare it to the directions, it doesn't. These cable symbols are for a 6-stitch cable, and the pictures show a 6-stitch cable. :??

Limey
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
I very much agree with lulu2 - I really don't like charts - for one, they send me cross-eyed and two, I've no sense of direction, I couldn't find my way out of a one-way street with someone leading the way!

I'd rather have written patterns;it may take some time but I eventually manage to get my head around them.

The only luck I've had with charts are my own bits of scribbles forthings like a raglan decrease on a lacey pattern.

Good Luck, Cooks - hope you get it sorted.

Limey

ArtLady1981
04-20-2007, 04:49 AM
I love charts. But, you have to "take charge" of chart! :teehee:

Here is how: First: Make a copy of your chart, maybe enlarged for easier reading. next, get out numerous colored pens, pencils or highlighters.
Then, find a symbol in the legend...color it turquoise...and everywhere you see that symbol in your chart, color it turquoise, too. Repeat the coloring process for every different symbol in the legend. Do one symbol at a time. Find every place it occurs in the graph and color it in to correspond with the legend's designated color!

FYI: some symbols involve 3, 4, 5, or 6 stitches. If a "symbol" spans over the space of "3 boxes" in the graph...that means it involves 3 stitches on the needle.

A common cable is a 2x2 cable...meaning, 4 stitches are involved. The graph will have a symbol spanning across 4 boxes.

This will easy your eye right along! I put post-it notes on the graph to mark the "line" I am currently knitting!

Remember, odd numbered rows are the right side...and you read the pattern from right to left...
AND even numbered rows are the wrong side and are worked from left to right. The wrong side is usually a "resting row"...just purled across.

However, I have been told by some serious lace knitters that lace patterns will have "work to do" even on the wrong sides.

But your plaited cabling is not lace.

I have knit dozens and dozens of cabled garments...and I much prefer the graph to "written instructions". When you get used to the chart...you will find the other types of patterns to be tedious and wordy. A chart just gets right down to business.

That said, I still ALWAYS color code my charts, down to this day! I don't color in my book or leaflet...I always make an enlarged copy for my work and the color coding.

AmandaC
04-20-2007, 05:40 AM
I vote for colour coding too - It's the only way I can do it!