PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay...

MamaMer
04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
for a class taught by a fairly well known writer/designer that doesn't include the book that she wrote and is teaching from?

I have an opportunity to attend a small class with the author of "Cables Untangled" but IMO the price of the class is a bit high to not include the book., but I could just be really cheap :oops: :teehee: The class is $50 and the book (I think) is like $35

candicane
04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
How many sessions/hours is the class?

candice

MamaMer
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I believe it is 1 three hour session

candicane
04-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Eek! I think that is really expensive too. How much could she be teaching in two hours? I have never taken a class, so maybe I'm just out of the loop as to how much they cost.

Candice

MamaMer
04-19-2007, 02:59 PM
sorry I checked online to be sure, and it is actually 3 hours...

but I still think that is sort of high :shrug:

brendajos
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
i have seen classes with the authors ranging from $35-75 and from 3 hours to all day with no indication by the cost of the class how long it would be... (meaning some of the three hour classes are $75 too!)

they do usually seem to come with patterns or a book though.

and they are sort of overpricing that book considering you can get it on amazon for about $20.

kemp
04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Consider this...someone has to sponsor the class and whoever that is may be paying for the perosn to fly there, lodging, etc...that is probably the reason prices vary between classes so much. If it's something you really want to learn and really like the teacher I would say do it. You may never get another chance.

rebecca
04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I believe it was $60 (no book, no supplies) when Nicky Epstein did a class her out one of our yarn shops...I would have paid and gone in an instant, but wasn't physically able. I'm in agreement with Kemp.
I so wish Cat Bordhi and/or Annie Modesitt would come here, I'd jump at a chance to take a class from either (I'm sure there are many more, but I can't think now!).

ArtLady1981
04-20-2007, 05:00 AM
I would pay $50 to attend a class with the author of Cables Untangled in a heartbeat! I have the book and have knit an afghan from it already. I think the author is FABULOUS! Here is my Red Aran Afghan taken from Cables Untangled. The model in the book was knit in the usual creamy white worsted weight. I used a warm red Rowan POLAR bulky weight with size 11 needles to get a yummy, cozy BIG afghan for afternoon naps!

The "petite bell ruffle" is a Nicky Epstein pattern taken from her book "Knitting OVER THE EDGE". Another invaluable book. I have all three of her 'EDGE' books, as well as her knitted embellishments.
Changing the yarn and trim or embellishments is about as creative as I get.

That said, TAKE THE CLASS and let us all know what tips you get!

DQ
04-20-2007, 05:12 AM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh that's gorgeous!! :heart: :heart: :notworthy:

GinnyG
04-20-2007, 05:23 AM
ARTLADY1981, that is the most BEAUTIFUL thing I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would pay TWICE that much to learn how to do that!!!!!

I pay $20.00 for a two hour class at my LYS, taught by a lovely college girl so I think you are getting a STEAL!!

uplate6674
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
That afghan is stunning!

mwedzi
04-20-2007, 08:53 AM
I think that's not too much, considering she has to continue to feed herself and the sponsoring store must have to pay to get her there, too. I took a class last weekend, two hour class on finishing for $25, which I think was a steal. That's actually the cheapest I've seen a knitting class. Seems like they usually range in the $15-$20/hour range, depending on what you're being taught (what, exactly, would you be taught here?), so that price doesn't seem unrealistic. Even I have charged about that much per hour for teaching (though I'm a nobody and it was private English tutoring).

Also, I think you can't say they are overpricing the book by comparing it to Amazon. They probably are just selling the book for its standard price, as Amazon is a major discounter and volume seller that small businesses can't compete with in price. Amazon regularly sells books for 30-35% less than every brick and mortar book store I've ever been to.

marykz
04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree with Nikki- it doesn't seem like that much to me. if the class is something you want to learn from an expert, I think it would be worth it. Getting to meet the author in person of a favorite book is a great experience, and if she has any tips, or secrets about her techniques, that is the place to be.

and she's totally right about Amazon- we are spoiled not to be paying "regular prices" for books anymore. But the retail price is what it is. The publishers are paying the author for the content, paying for the publishing, and any promotional stuff, and trying to make a profit. Selling a book for the retail price is not some sort of money making scam by the author or store.

MamaMer
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I am going to take the class. Now that I have seen that afghan, I am really glad I ended up signing up :)

I guess what surprised me was that there was no book included, which if I buy it at the LYS makes it and $80 class. I don't mind buying it there though, dh and I are all about supporting locally owned businesses, I just didn't know if it was typical to not have a book included with a class about said book, kwim? Thanks everyone :)

MamaMer
05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey all! I thought I would pop in and let you know that I took the class and had a great time!

I have finally learned how to read charts, which is so awesome, bcs I have avoided some beautiful patterns just bcs I dreaded charts! Love the book too, I can't wait to start something now!!

Thanks for encouraging me to go! :muah:

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi mama! Yup, I love to work from charts. I now find line-by-line, row-by-row instructions to be tedious and too much information!

Love charts! :heart:

Dangles
05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Artlady, that's one nice looking afghan :)

marykz
05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm so glad you had a good experience!! learning something new is so much fun... thanks for letting us know!

mulene
05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Excellent! Glad you took the class too. And WOWEEEE :shock: that is one stunning afghan!

cookworm
05-09-2007, 08:45 AM
ArtLady, that's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :inlove: :drool:

KnittingNat
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
ArtLady, your afghan is totally unbelievable... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: