PDA

View Full Version : will thick and thin yarn throw off my guage?

sewinhotmama23
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I usually end up doing my swatch in 2 sizes bigger than recommended because I knit so tightly and it is usually perfect. Im about to start my first project with some GORGEOUS wool thick and thin yarn, and wanted to know how it was gonna act...

Any tips?

Susan P.
04-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi, do you mean the wool has thicker and thinner sections..OR that you're using a thick yarn and a think yarn together in the same item (double knitting)? Sounds like swatching again is the way to go :-)

If you mean the first..that the yarn has thinner and thicker sections along the strands..swatching it still important but the thicker sections will tend to 'make up' for the thinner ones and washing/blocking tells to blend the sections nicely. I've used this sort of yarn on smaller items. I must admit its not a yarn I ADORE but I like it's differences and used it as a textured yarn in a throw.

suzeeq
04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes, the only way you can tell is to knit it up. Use different needle sizes to see what your average is. CO enough for about 6 inches worth and knit at least 2 inches with each needle. Then measure the middle 4 or ever 5 inches of stitches for each size and see what you get.

sue