PDA

View Full Version : OT My neighbor/mentor is aging

cheley
04-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Just need to "be sad"..my sweet, wonderful neighbor (94 years old) who has taught me everything from crocheting, knitting and quilting (she started teaching me when she was 90)..is failing....Today her family has decided (for her well being) to put her in a rest home :verysad: She has congestive heart failure and it's getting the best of her....I love her sooo and wish I could turn back the clock to 30 years ago....Such a wonderful crafty lady :hug:

Ingrid
04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
:hug: It's so wonderful that you appreciate her so much. Too often we dismiss people who are that old.

Susan P.
04-20-2007, 02:50 AM
cheley. One idea you might think of for her, particularly if her eyesight is failing a little but her 'touch' is still sensitive, is to make a little book (little rather than say larger photo album size so it's easy to hold and hold in bed), is to make a book of swatches of all different kinds of yarn that can be 'felt'. In your case you might make one crochet swatch but doing it in a way that can be readily felt (again only if eyesight is failing), and then a nice small padded quilt swatch with perhaps a lovely soft silk cover and so on. That kind of item can be reassuring and the person can touch for hours if they want to. Even put her initials on the cover in something her finger can trace.

*hug*

carmabelle1191
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
It's really hard to see someone older who you love and appreciate to start to go downhill. I especially like Susan P.'s idea about the "touch and feel" yarn album, so to speak. I think she'd really appreciate any support you give right now, even if it was just going to the nursing home to spend the day with her. If she does pass away anytime soon, though I know that is hard to think about, just remember that she lived a long and wonderful life and you did everything you could to make her feel better, but there was nothing you could do to prevent it. :hug: :heart:

projectgal
04-20-2007, 11:55 AM
The elderly have so much to share. If she is still coherent, I would visit with a recorder of some sort. Let her tell you all of her wonderful stories, her project ideas, her memories. The videos we have of my grandparents and great-grandparents are precious.

I've been listening to NPR's "Story Corp" and I think of how lucky all of the families of the participants are. They've captured moments of their loved ones for generations to come.

dakatzmeow
04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
maybe you can take your knitting/quilting bag and visit her. can she crochet or knit by touch? perhaps bringing her a lovely ball of yarn to be creative with would help her pass the hours. :hug: