PDA

View Full Version : UGH! The frustration of this evil washcloth!

figaro
04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
:!!!: :!!!: :grrr: :grrr: :wall: :wall:

I am on a washcloth kick and am currently knitting 4 cloths for my MIL. They go camping quite a bit and for them, when you have coffee (3 x a day), it is a social occasion. So I am making one with a cup of coffee on it, one of NJ, one of CA and a camper. I have made the state ones and I am on the camper, and I think I need to frog it AGAIN! This is not a difficult washcloth to make but for some reason it is kicking me in the ***!! There were a couple of rows that I frogged at least 2 or 3 times each and then I thought I am almost done, YAY! Until I looked at the beginning of what would be the trailer where the hitch is SUPPOSED TO BE, well its not there!:doh: :doh: It is just 3 simple purl stitches instead of knit, almost all the way down, and I am about 15 rows from binding off on a 58 row pattern! :wall: :wall: I am debating not frogging it, but it is supposed to be a camper, now how many campers have you seen with no hitch? And my grandmother in law is a knitter, she has been knitting socks for his family for years. Not sure if I can send this there for her to see and maybe ask where the hitch?

Ok, I am backing away from the washcloth down and going to bed, maybe the knitting fairy will stop here and wave her magic needles and those pesky knits will turn in to beautiful purls...please!

Ok, I feel a little better now, thanks for reading my vent...off to sleep now!

clb1968
04-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Instead of frogging and starting over, how about a few stitches of another color yarn or even embroidery thread for the hitch ? Just sew it on ?
Don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a try. :shrug:

dakatzmeow
04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
charlotte, we think alike, you and i. ;)

do some creative embroidery to disguise the fact that you are adding the hitch. :hug:

marykz
04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I totally feel your pain and agree with the Previous notes to embroider. hang in there- chances are, you are the only one who would notice any problems anyways.

figaro
04-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks but I think I am leaning to frogging it. I showed it to my husband and asked him if he noticed anything and he did! What gets me is it is supposed to be a camper, and I forgot the trailer hitch! Here is a picture of it, it is supposed to be on the very bottom right corner of the trailer, just 3 lousy purls!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image604.jpg

I am just disgusted with myself!

AmandaC
04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
You could - one at a time - drop the stitch in the column where you want the purl to be ... unhook it all the way down, turn the knit into a purl stitch and then pick up the stitch back up again as a knit stitch .... It's quite easy to do - I changed a 2 stitch garter border into a 3 stitch border doing this .... it's quicker than frogging. :shrug:

ETA: Amy has a video demonstrating this HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/bas-tech-more/running-down-to-correct.mpg)

Chel
04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
That is exactly what I was going to say. Grab a crochet hook and drop the stitches one at a time down.

If you have never done this before, its pretty easy. Just lay it right side down for your purl stitch and flip it over right side up and just move the stitch back up all the way to the top. You can do this...

and it will take roughly 5 minutes rather than ruining a couple hours work.

Also * if you try this method and it doesn't work for you, then you can still frog it. Nothing beats a failure but a try!!!!

cheesiesmom
04-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I vote with Amanda. Your stitches are clear and well-defined so it should be easy to pull them out one at a time and then pick 'em back up. And it's not like you have to deal with increases/decreases, yo's or anything tricky.

Don't frog it when you can fix it!!!

figaro
04-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I will have to think about just ripping the 3 stitch column, I have fixed drop stitches like that before. Let me think a bit.... :thinking:

ctmax
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
sorry a little off topic but where did you find a pattern for a camper washcloth?

figaro
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Here is the link, I found it on Knitting Pattern Central, Dishcloths, Camper-
http://thingsstitchedmarketplace.blogspot.com/2006/11/dishcloth-patterns_116422658335660529.html
just scroll down and there it is!

When Chel put it that way, just rip those 3 stitches down and if it does not work, I can still frog the whole thing, that clicked for me, makes sense. I will tackle this after my DD goes to school and the baby is taking her nap, while the middle child is upstairs...aahhhh quiet time is so nice!

Chel
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Personally, I would do do the stitches one at a time. Drop one, ladder it down, correct it, ladder it back up. Then do the next.

It will make your "playing field" much neater and less confusing. Just my experience, but I find when I drop multiple stitches at once I tend to twist a stitch or 2 as I pick them back up. I don't have that issue if I drop them one at a time.

Good luck and show a pic when you get it fixed!!!!!!

figaro
04-20-2007, 03:45 PM
:muah: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :cheering: :notworthy:

I just wanted to thank all of you who suggested that I fix it and not frog it...cause it worked!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/hum39/Image606.jpg

the last one in both rows looks a little wonky but I am so not complaining, now I want to finish this and knit the coffee cup and be done with these!

clb1968
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
:cheering:

Glad that you worked it out.