PDA

View Full Version : cotton yarn and ribbing

jen1970
04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi! I'm a long-time lurker, and have learned so much from the wonderful videos and helpful members here!

I'm going to be starting ChicKnits ribby shell, and am trying to figure out what yarn to use. It's written for 5 stitches per inch. The designer recommends Tahki cotton classic, Reynolds saucy, and a few others. I have read good things about TLC cotton plus for a cotton blend. I have some Pakucho organic cotton already, but don't know how well it would perform with ribbing.

If anyone has opinions on any of these yarns, or could recommend a summery yarn that would work with ribbing, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!!
Jennifer

Susan P.
04-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Jen I find so many yarns do well with ribbing but also ribbing will look different depending on yarn and needle size. Why don't you make up a swatch from the yarn you already have and see what the ribbing looks like and also if it gives you the correct gauge. If you get say seven per inch then you need to try a needle size up. The good thing with swatching it that you can change needles in the same swatch and keep experimenting.

cam90066
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I've used TLC's Cotton Plus for several projects. Very happy with it. Great hand, nice drape, very comfy on the bod. Good stitch def. The initial sheen, which I wasn't keen on, dulls in short order. I'm a loose knitter and find it tends to stretch horizontally. I also go down in ndl sz (sometimes several from the recommended) to get the look I want but for all items made they were my own patterns so can't speak to gauge specific to someone else's pattern.

HTH,

cam

jen1970
04-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Susan and Cam for your responses. I ended up splurging and getting some Rowan Calmer in Plum. It's knitting up beautifully. I'm going to try some Cotton Plus and Cotton-Ease when I'm done with this, to see if there's really a big difference. :teehee:

Thanks again :)
Jennifer