PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gardening, Anyone?

jdee
04-21-2007, 02:58 PM
I just wanted to post some garden pictures. I know lots of you garden, because I've seen some of your plantings in past threads. I'm still fairly new at gardening, but I wanted to show some pictures.

First is of my yellow roses. I think they're called Honey Perfume. I got them a couple of years ago, but this year they're really blooming. The red rose came with the house. I'm not an expert, so I don't know the name of this rose, but it's a climber, that had gotten leggy, and out of hand. we cut it back in the fall of 2005, and it didn't bloom much last year, but this year, it really has come alive. The only thing I'd change about it, is that it isn't fragrant. Also, it's not a repeat bloomer, but I still love it. Lastly, I included a tomato picture. This is my second attempt at tomatoes. I almost didn't try again, because the first time was such a dismal failure, but I actually have tomatoes now. The three in this picture, and one more, is already more tomatoes than I got for all of last year. lol

I'd love to see pictures of all of your gardens. This is such a beautiful time of year.

Jennifer

bailsmom
04-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm off to buy some Pansies for my whiskey barrel planters!!!!! I can't wait to get home to plant them!!!

Beautiful garden! :heart: :heart:

Mariblue
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Pretty roses!
It's only barely starting to be gardening time here, so I haven't got pics. I container garden. I've got some strawberries I'll be planting soon. And I've got two blueberry plants, two elderberries, and a black current that survived the winter. I'm excited about that because last year was my first real year gardening, so this is still all kinda new to me. I'd like to get a couple of tomatoes, and a rose bush, not only cause they're pretty but also so I can use the rosehips.

jdee
04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I mostly container garden, too. The first year I planted, wasn't much of a success. I'm still not sure how much water to give them. I've heard that over watering is a common beginner mistake. In trying too hard not to make this mistake, I under watered, and as a result, only the strongest, most drought resistant plants survived. The only thing that I had success with was my houseplants, because I know that when water starts to drain out the bottom of the pots, the plant is properly watered.

This year, I've decided not to plant in the ground. I've used empty cat litter buckets, cleaned and painted, for my tomatoes, and some medium sized pots from last year for peppers. I also bought some herbs, and some annuals, potted them, and placed them in my garden with whatever was lucky enough to survive my lack of watering knowledge. I'm hoping that I can apply the same watering technique I use for my house plants, to my potted garden plants, and finally have a successful garden.

Mariblue
04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
The only thing that I had success with was my houseplants, because I know that when water starts to drain out the bottom of the pots, the plant is properly watered.
I'm hoping that I can apply the same watering technique I use for my house plants, to my potted garden plants, and finally have a successful garden.
Well, I'm definately not an expert. But I did just what you said above. I watered them till the water ran out the bottom of the container. And if you stick your finger down into the soil, and the top inch or so is dry, then the plants need a drink. In the heat of the summer, you need to water container plants a couple times a day, at least. They use up a lot of water.
My sister recommended the book "The Bountiful Container" by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stucky, that's got some pretty good info in it. Also there's a new edition of "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew that I haven't read yet, but have heard is pretty great as well (I've got an older edition of this, though). I'd like to have really good success with the plants I've got this year before I get brave and buy more! Last year, I tried to plant too many, and ended up just focusing on my favoriets--which didn't do justice to the other plants at all!