PDA

View Full Version : Guy Knitting

Arielluria
04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
OK, I WAS going to title this after the name of the first book (below) but was afraid it might be offensive to some :teehee: it's a CLEVER name for a knitting book about guy knitters though, don't you think?

Knitting With Balls: A Hands-On Guide to Knitting for the Modern Man
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0756622891.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46484777_AA240_.jpg

I saw this one at the store:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1579908748.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg
As a dog-lover.........and if I might state the obvious..........a guy-lover :teehee: I thought it cute.

My husband doesn't knit........looks at me like I'm crazy for making socks when I can get them at the store! I don't know any guy knitters.

I wonder if (relationship-wise) it's a match made in heaven for a girl and a guy knitter? ;)

SabrinaJL
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I think it would be if you both had your own needles and didn't like the same yarn. Otherwise there might be problems. :teehee:

Ingrid
04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I think they'd be fighting over the 'good stuff.'

And then there'd be the custody fight. . . :verysad:

We'd be getting fliers in the mail asking, "Have you seen this yarn?"

:teehee:

Arielluria
04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

PaperGirl
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Then one or the other would have tofind a new LYS...cause you just cant run into your ex at the same YS...

Arielluria
04-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Then one or the other would have tofind a new LYS...cause you just cant run into your ex at the same YS... :roflhard:

Oh my..........this WOULD pose sooooooooo many more problems than I expected.

Maybe bag envy?????????? :shrug:

Ingrid
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Or needle envy! :rofl:

jeanius80
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
mmmalabrigo envy.... clog envy....sock envy ............. :roflhard:

BostonBecca
04-23-2007, 10:38 PM
My boyfriend just had me teach him how to knit. I have him practicing with some acrylic/wool blend in a beautiful turquoise color. He is making a scarf for me using my needles (which he bought for me). He said he wanted the first thing he made to be for me. What a sweetheart. However, I don't know who would get custody of the needles if we broke up!

J/K I would totally keep my needles and he'd have to find them to get them!

He does love the title of the first book!

Knitting_Guy
04-23-2007, 10:40 PM
skeins on milk cartons?

Nobones
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
For all you male knitters out there I recommend taking a look at:

www.menknit.net

It's a laugh and I love there motto!

Chel
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
The first one, Knitting With Balls is by Michael del Vechhio. His LYS is one I shop at frequently. He has taught quite a few classes there. *thumbs up*

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
My wife and I both knit. Her knitting is more of the scarves with fun fur variety so there is no real competition for yarn. She is happy being a recipient for the stuff I knit.

P.S. Menknit is how I found this site when I started almost 2 years ago.

brokenblossoms
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Why is it that whenever there's mention of a man knitting, everything has to be sexual?

boyforpele13
04-24-2007, 06:15 PM
i just got knitting with balls last week! for some reason, i had kinda passed it over when it first came out, but i saw him on KG and then found out i had a $20 credit at borders, i grabbed it and i'm so glad i did! It's a great book and I'm starting the wallet ASAP.

MWK&TDWLT, I can't say enough about, that book ROCKS! (And I got Annie to sign it!!!) :-D

scubasinger
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I made the wallet in Knitting With Balls when I first got the book. It looks really neat and I carry it every day. It certainly generates comments when people see it.

My one complaint is that it's 'floppy'. Weird word, but not sure how else to describe it. When I unfold it to put bills in the pouch, the fabric isn't stiff enough to hold the wallet open. It just kind of flops and drapes over my hand. Certainly still serviceable, but a little annoying at times.

But I still like the cool way it looks and since I carry it everyday the 'floppiness' obviously hasn't been enough of a problem for me to pitch it.

Knitting_Guy
04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I made the wallet in Knitting With Balls when I first got the book. It looks really neat and I carry it every day. It certainly generates comments when people see it.

My one complaint is that it's 'floppy'. Weird word, but not sure how else to describe it. When I unfold it to put bills in the pouch, the fabric isn't stiff enough to hold the wallet open. It just kind of flops and drapes over my hand. Certainly still serviceable, but a little annoying at times.

But I still like the cool way it looks and since I carry it everyday the 'floppiness' obviously hasn't been enough of a problem for me to pitch it.

The wallet is one project I want to make when I finally get the book.

Maybe starching it would reduce the floppiness?

Arielluria
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Just put lots of cash in it, that should do it ;)

snowbear
04-26-2007, 12:48 AM
I can see Divorce Court.. She took my needles... He grabbed the mmmmm yarn... :rofl:

Judge Judy would go ballistic

Ok.. I'm tired & should not be posting..lol

I have tomorrow off and I'm going to sleep in... I'm sooo bad, lol or baaaaaahhhhd

:teehee:

Arielluria
04-27-2007, 05:47 PM
This was funny on YouTube, it's called Knit Wits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00Rrt_mCg8&mode=related&search=) and it's guy knitting related. :D

Arielluria
04-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I can see Divorce Court.. She took my needles... He grabbed the mmmmm yarn... :rofl:

Judge Judy would go ballistic
LOL! I can see divorce court now.........if man has been cheating with another knitter.........

wife: your honor, he cheated!
judge: how do you know?
wife: those were NOT my DPNs I found between the sofa cushions, I ONLY use aluminum!
:roflhard:

Arielluria
08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I am researching knitting history and found this site on Guys Who Knit (http://www.menknit.net/history.html). I thought of this thread.

I have never seen a man knit live......that is, I've seen only on TV.

feministmama
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I wanna know when exactly knitting switched from being a "manly" skill to a "womanly" art? How was knitting used to keep women under sexist control? Or when knitting became denigrating by calling it "women's" work? The industrial revolution?

Knitting_Guy
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I wanna know when exactly knitting switched from being a "manly" skill to a "womanly" art? How was knitting used to keep women under sexist control? Or when knitting became denigrating by calling it "women's" work? The industrial revolution?

Actually it started during the industrial revolution but male knitting was still common through the 1930s and into the early part of the 1940s. WWII was when it became a full time women's activity as most of the men were off to war and the women knit socks for the soldiers.

As far as I know it was never used to "keep women under sexist control". It's knitting for crying out loud.

Kels Joy.
08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
LOL! I can see divorce court now.........if man has been cheating with another knitter.........

wife: your honor, he cheated!
judge: how do you know?
wife: those were NOT my DPNs I found between the sofa cushions, I ONLY use aluminum!
:roflhard:

that would make a great soap opera!

Arielluria
08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
As far as I know it was never used to "keep women under sexist control". It's knitting for crying out loud.Good point Mason! If anything, it's the sexism of WOMEN who think men shouldn't take part in enjoying the same "sport" ;) which they do!
:flirt:

Gloriapike
08-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I've actually looked at the knitting books aimed at guys before... My tastes tend to lean a little towards the functional and non-frilly side of things. XD

I don't think knitting is ever something my husband would be interested in, though I think he does appreciate the work that goes into it so if I ever make something for him I'm sure he'll wear it with pride (He REALLY wants me to knit him a Dr. Who scarf!) XD