PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sweater KAL

Pages : 1 [2]

redheadrachel
07-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Today was a great day for sweater making! Just to give a really brief update about the direction I'm going: I got a ton of the sweater worked on today (like, probably 1/3 of the whole piece) and it went very well, my gauge was consistent, and I just finished a ton of increase while following the lace pattern in the meantime section and ended up with the correct number of stitches after all that. :) Maybe it is possible, after all!

ArtLady1981
07-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Today was a great day for sweater making! Just to give a really brief update about the direction I'm going: I got a ton of the sweater worked on today (like, probably 1/3 of the whole piece) and it went very well, my gauge was consistent, and I just finished a ton of increase while following the lace pattern in the meantime section and ended up with the correct number of stitches after all that. :) Maybe it is possible, after all!

Hi there Redhead!! :waving:

Yeah! :cheering: Congratulations! :thumbsup:

BostonBecca
07-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Rachel, that is awesome! I am so glad that things are working out for you, this first sweater thing is really a process of learning how to do it right, so it is great when things turn out so well!

I frogged a good bit of my Tempting last week, basically all the way back to where I joined the arms, because when I joined them the ribbing did not match up perfectly to continue in the 2X2 ribbing, and it created problems for me. I was able to make it better this time with just one section of 4 purls across that will not be noticeable because it is ribbing. It looks a lot better now, but putting all those stitches back on the needle was sort of a pain and it will need a good soaking/block now before I wear it. It is coming along however.

ArtLady1981
07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Rachel, that is awesome! I am so glad that things are working out for you, this first sweater thing is really a process of learning how to do it right, so it is great when things turn out so well!

I frogged a good bit of my Tempting last week, basically all the way back to where I joined the arms, because when I joined them the ribbing did not match up perfectly to continue in the 2X2 ribbing, and it created problems for me. I was able to make it better this time with just one section of 4 purls across that will not be noticeable because it is ribbing. It looks a lot better now, but putting all those stitches back on the needle was sort of a pain and it will need a good soaking/block now before I wear it. It is coming along however.

I am on the last sleeve of my white KHAKI CABLES cardigan...and I promise, while it is blocking...I will pick up my TEMPTING! Let ya know how it goes...around and around and around. Kinda monotonous, huh? Sorry to hear that you had to frog! Ugh! :frog: But a good knitter will frog til she has it right...and new knitter/old knitter...we all have to do it sometimes. I had to frog that tan Viking Cable scarf 4 times til I got it right. Ugh. The yarn almost gave up on me! Nearly felted itself! :pout:

Keep us posted Becca! :thumbsup:

redheadrachel
07-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Argh!!! This not-having-a-working-camera-battery-charger thing is NOT going well! Hopefully we'll get one soon, because my sweater progress is great! I actually think it's going to be done soon! I've knit the top and bottom portion (they will be grafted together) and today I knit one sleeve and I'm working on the other. So I've just basically got to do one sleeve, then I learn all about blocking and seaming!!! Once I got all those hassles done with at the beginning (and it turns out, my gauge was so messed up because the yarn is stretchier than what the pattern calls for, so it wasn't even really my fault :oops:) it's knit up pretty quickly! I'm learning a lot and I think it's coming out great.

So the moral of the story: the "big bad scary sweater" isn't quite as big, bad, or scary :woot:

ArtLady1981
07-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Argh!!! This not-having-a-working-camera-battery-charger thing is NOT going well! Hopefully we'll get one soon, because my sweater progress is great! I actually think it's going to be done soon! I've knit the top and bottom portion (they will be grafted together) and today I knit one sleeve and I'm working on the other. So I've just basically got to do one sleeve, then I learn all about blocking and seaming!!! Once I got all those hassles done with at the beginning (and it turns out, my gauge was so messed up because the yarn is stretchier than what the pattern calls for, so it wasn't even really my fault :oops:) it's knit up pretty quickly! I'm learning a lot and I think it's coming out great.

So the moral of the story: the "big bad scary sweater" isn't quite as big, bad, or scary :woot:

Hi little redhead! :waving:

Waaaaay to go! :yay: We are anxious to see your creation asap! :yay:

clsimmons
07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi, I'm starting the sleeves on my 'panel jacket' in Louisa Harding's book and want to know can I do the sleeves on circs? The pattern starts at the cuff,etc.

BostonBecca
07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
You can use Magic Loop to do the sleeves.

A video on it is found here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ under small diameter knitting.

clsimmons
07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that link!! I actually have a really long circular so I will start.

redheadrachel
07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey everyone! I already posted this in the How-to section and I don't know whether it's against the "rules" to post something in a different forum, but it is about my 1st sweater as well and I really really want help on it. So here goes:

I'm on the home stretch of my first sweater, the Lace Leaf Pullover. The top and bottom are knit separately in the round, and then grafted. I used the Kitchener stitch and did a pretty good job on it, but you can kind of see the seam a little bit. I've been using a steam iron on it for a good while and the seam, while you can just only barely see it, is still visible. This is my first sweater and I'm really really extremely please with it, but if this seam remains visible, I feel like it's going to ruin the whole sweater. Any tips for what I should do?

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone! I already posted this in the How-to section and I don't know whether it's against the "rules" to post something in a different forum, but it is about my 1st sweater as well and I really really want help on it. So here goes:

I'm on the home stretch of my first sweater, the Lace Leaf Pullover. The top and bottom are knit separately in the round, and then grafted. I used the Kitchener stitch and did a pretty good job on it, but you can kind of see the seam a little bit. I've been using a steam iron on it for a good while and the seam, while you can just only barely see it, is still visible. This is my first sweater and I'm really really extremely please with it, but if this seam remains visible, I feel like it's going to ruin the whole sweater. Any tips for what I should do?

Hi Rachel! :waving:

I would have used mattress stitch for a completely invisible seam. Did the pattern say to use Kitchener as a superior way to attach the top and bottom? I guess Kitchener is a true 'graft'...but, mattress is an excellent invisible seam from the right side. The wrong side, of course, is not invisible. It shows the selvedges.

Well, I am happy to hear that you keep working towards a perfect seam. I am like you...I just won't settle for a tacky looking seam.

ArtLady1981
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi! :waving:

Forgot to mention...my KHAKI CABLES cardigan is now on the blocking board...so I was able to pick up my TEMPTING summer top (gift for DD). I made the 2nd size, however, since she is only 5'2" I will stop and do the dividing as for the first size: 13", not 14".

My TEMPTING is now about 10"!

This 2x2 ribbing is driving me :eyes: !!!

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 03:46 AM

Hi Boston Becca! :waving:

My TEMPTING is done! I am so appreciative that you mentioned about the 2x2 rib matching up when the sleeves are joined with the front and back of the top! I was "on the lookout" for the problem and was able to compensate for it. My 2x2 rib is perfect.

This top was, IMHO, very difficult to knit. NOT the 2x2 rib for 13"...no...but the concepts put forth with attaching/joining the sleeves that were knit in the round...to the body, that was also knit in the round. No diagrams, and not much explanation.

I have been knitting since 1970...and this top was a challenge to get right. Grrr. It was SUPREMELY BORING from the cast on edge up to where you start the sleeves (I stopped at 13" for my 5'1" daughter)...then, it was difficult to conceptualize the "join". THEN...the 266 stitches knit in the round for an additional 4"...then the eyelet row...then 4 more rows...then the bind-off row in 2x2 rib...AAARRGH.

I just thought it would never ever get done. I "timed" my rounds for added interest...to guesstimate how long it would take me last night to finish up this thing. It took me 11 minutes to do one round. Sigh. And, one round doesn't add much length, does it?!

Anyhoo, my DD looks just darling in it! I gave it to her today. I bought her a bodkin and 3 extra ribbons to thread into the eyelets. The extra ribbons are grosgrain: black, sage, and coppery/brown. She wears greens and browns and coppery colors real well. I put a cream satin ribbon into it first. BTW: I didn't buy the 2" ribbon. I bought 1.5". Also, 3 feet is waaaaay to long. I cut some of the cream ribbon off, leaving the long tails to allow her to adjust the length to suit her own taste. The pattern says to get 3 or 3.5 feet. NOT. The "eyelets" are not very large. I really shoulda purchased 3/4" ribbon...but, then the BOW would not be as showy.

She is going to use the black grosgrain ribbon threaded in the eyelets when she wears the top with her black cropped gaucho pants and high heel boots. Her DH loves the top as well! And well he should! I think she is a little "dish"!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2496.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_2493.jpg

BostonBecca
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
That looks great on her! Good job with that! I am glad you figured out getting your ribbing perfect.

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 08:15 PM
That looks great on her! Good job with that! I am glad you figured out getting your ribbing perfect.

All thanks to your tip! You know where the sleeve directions say to put the next 14 on waste yarn? Well, this is where I made my adjustments. It was hard to figure out...if those 14 should begin with K2 or P2...so that the remaining 46 sleeve stitches that join to the body will be the right sequence.

So when I saw that my first body section would begin with K2...then I knew that my remaining 46 for the sleeve should end with P2...so that the sequence of K2/P2 would transition correctly when making the leap from the 46 sleeve stitches to the body stitches.

All told, this was a difficult sweater for a 1st Sweater KAL.

I think you have done wonderfully. And due to the fact that you were ahead of me in "trail blazing" this pattern, I was forewarned that the K2/P2 would be a problem.

The pattern was completely silent about the issue. Their BAD.

Where are you at in your TEMPTING?

BostonBecca
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I now have a little over two inches of the yoke knitted AGAIN. I like how it looks this time and only have one section of 4 knit stitches in a row, right next to a sleeve, on the back. I am ok with that. I only hope it looks as good on me as it does on your daughter.

ArtLady1981
08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I now have a little over two inches of the yoke knitted AGAIN. I like how it looks this time and only have one section of 4 knit stitches in a row, right next to a sleeve, on the back. I am ok with that. I only hope it looks as good on me as it does on your daughter.

It is probably too late at this point, but you could have decreased them out of the lineup. Eg: On Round 1...when you come to the 4 identical stitches...K2T...Round 2, even, no decreasing...Round 3: K2T when you come to the 3 remaining identical stitches. So that within 3 rounds the two extra K stitches (sitting by 2 K stitches) would disappear.

If the identical stitches are P...then the same principle applies...P2T etc. in the same way.

clsimmons
08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Still working on the paneled jacket in Louisa Harding's 'Modern Classics'. Now I'm on the sleeves and you won't believe what I want to do!!
You know that the 'new' style in sleeves now is the puff look--ah memories--- and I saw in a magazine directions how to make a set-in sleeve to a puff one. But, I can't remember whick magazine it's in. Have any of you ladies seen this issue--must be pretty new because it's on the shelves now.
I'm in a different city now or I would go that Barnes and Noble and I know just where that magazine is sitting on the shelf.
I know I"m crazy to do such a thing but I really want to.
Catherine

PixieKnits
08-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Gorgeous work artlady! :) sorry i've been MIA. I actually got sidetracked on Mouse's sweater because it was WAY too long and the one sleeve was WAY too short, its actually been sitting for a long time.. 2 days ago however, i got it out, and frogged back about 3 inches off the body and added the ribbing there, and then i frogged back the arm past the ribbing and added an extra 3 inches there! So im on the second arm and its almost done now! :)

ArtLady1981
08-10-2007, 03:39 AM
Gorgeous work artlady! :) sorry i've been MIA. I actually got sidetracked on Mouse's sweater because it was WAY too long and the one sleeve was WAY too short, its actually been sitting for a long time.. 2 days ago however, i got it out, and frogged back about 3 inches off the body and added the ribbing there, and then i frogged back the arm past the ribbing and added an extra 3 inches there! So im on the second arm and its almost done now! :)

Hi'ya Pixie! :waving: Glad yer back! Keep us posted! :muah:

PixieKnits
08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I should be done by tonight or tomorrow hopefully!!

redheadrachel
08-11-2007, 09:45 PM
I finished mine!! Pics are in What'cha Knittin'? :happydance:

PixieKnits
08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I'll be adding pics to my FO gallery SOON! :) like MINUTES soon!

redheadrachel
08-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Oooh, I really like your sweater!! Cool yarn :)

PixieKnits
08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks its hand dyed BlackBerry-Ridge Merino! :) Im a little disturbed because its a VERY tight squeeze over mouse's head! ;(

IBAmyB
08-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Okay, I haven't made a sweater yet, but when I saw this pattern (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Monkeysuits+Leaflet+44+%2D+Mi ni+Stripes&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=1#) I knew I wanted to make if for my niece, who turn 3 on Halloween. (The pattern is also in Teaching Yourself Visually Knitting, which is where I found it.)

I am thinking of using Knit Picks's Swish so my sister-in-law can just put in the washer/dryer. Now I just need to pick out my colors. My niece is a adorable blue-eyed red-head.

I can't decide if I want to go with pastels or bolds.... Any suggestions?

heykaren
08-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I vote for bolds for that cutie! Karen

psammeadred
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I finished mine - YAY! Pics are on my blog (http://psammeadred.blogspot.com).

ArtLady1981
08-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Fabulous color! Beautiful lady! A real work of art!
I just love the cabling! THIS IS YOUR FIRST SWEATER!??

WOW! :thumbsup: What out world! We will eagerly await your next project!

BostonBecca
08-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow, that is a gorgeous sweater. Mine is done as well, and is just drying. I will put the ribbon in when I get home and take pictures!

BostonBecca
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I finished my Tempting and it fits!

Here is a picture. It won't let me upload the other pictures, even though they are resized, so you will have to check out my blog for the shots!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I finished my Tempting and it fits!

Here is a picture. It won't let me upload the other pictures, even though they are resized, so you will have to check out my blog for the shots!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone!

Wow! Tempting came out SO nice! I really need to start MY first sweater...but I'm such a fraidy cat, haha!:hiding:

ADAllen
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
That is beautiful! Congratulations

ArtLady1981
08-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow, that is a gorgeous sweater. Mine is done as well, and is just drying. I will put the ribbon in when I get home and take pictures!

You did long sleeves!!! Wow!!! What a great idea!!!

You look adorable, btw! Just adorable!! :thumbsup:

heykaren
08-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey - good job girlfriend!!!!!! Looks great! :yay:

One of these days Ill have to post a pic of my imitation Tempting that Ive finished ages ago and have been wearing proudly!!!!! :woohoo:

Karen

heykaren
12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, I promised you pictures and Ive FINALLY gotten them off the camera and onto the computer so here goes!

My garnstudio Tempting:
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/th_Mygarnstudiotemtpting.jpg

And my Knitty W top:
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/th_MyWtop.jpg

Unfortunately, mine are packed away now until next spring/summr. Becca - you might even still be using yours!!!!!

Karen

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Well, I promised you pictures and Ive FINALLY gotten them off the camera and onto the computer so here goes!

My garnstudio Tempting:
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/th_Mygarnstudiotemtpting.jpg

And my Knitty W top:
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/th_MyWtop.jpg

Unfortunately, mine are packed away now until next spring/summr. Becca - you might even still be using yours!!!!!

Karen

WONDERFUL WORK! You look divine! :happydance: Thanks for sharing!

Rhea
12-30-2007, 11:25 PM
So I don't know if this KAL is still active, but I am just starting my very first sweater. It is actually my own (very simple) design and I am really excited about making my first sweater and wanted to join me first KAL too!

Abbily
12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Rhea, I just started my first sweater last week, and I was hoping to join this KAL too! :) We'll revive it together! I'd love to see pics as you go. I'm making this (http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/WelcomeBack.pdf) sweater, I've got about 6" of the back done. It's a fun knit, and going faster than I thought it would. I doubt I will get to wear it this winter, though! :P

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Rhea, I just started my first sweater last week, and I was hoping to join this KAL too! :) We'll revive it together! I'd love to see pics as you go. I'm making this (http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/WelcomeBack.pdf) sweater, I've got about 6" of the back done. It's a fun knit, and going faster than I thought it would. I doubt I will get to wear it this winter, though! :P

Hi Abbily! :waving: Wow! I LOVE THAT SWEATER PATTERN! Now I will tell you why I think it is a good pattern design for a first sweater:
the sleeve application is "dropped shoulders"...meaning that the body (front and back) pieces are knit straight up, no decreasing, no special armhole shaping. Same goes with the sleeves: besides the normal width increases...there is no armhole/cap shaping. This makes the seaming of the sleeves to the body so easy! [All you will need to do is seam the shoulders together, spread or lay out the Front to the east and the Back to the West...and line up the middle of the top of the sleeve to the shoulder seam...pin the sleeve to the front and back...and seam! Then, you seam the right side from the bottom of the front up to the armpit, turn at the armpit and seam down the sleeve to the cuff! Voila! Done!

I also always recommend a pullover for a first sweater because it doesn't have buttonholes and buttonbands, and neckline shaping for the two Front pieces.

Pullovers with dropped shoulders are good to get your sweater experience started with!

I assume you already have cable experience, and experience is using cable 'charts'. A little tip: color code all the cable combinations on your chart. Like, for example, color code all the right-leaning cables in red; and , cable all the left-leaning cables with blue. Then also color code the cable "key" chart the same. This makes for less mistakes and mis-crossed cables. And the knitting goes much faster.

I am going to "save" this K. Zimmerman pattern! Maybe I will make it myself down the road a ways!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Hi Rhea: :waving: Have you started your sweater yet? I know you said you are designing a pattern yourself. What are the general details? Pullover? Cardigan? Long sleeve? Short Sleeve? Dropped shoulders? Colorwork? Cables? Boat Neck? Crew neck?

Abbily's sweater is what I would call a crew neck...just a simple little round neckline, before the addition of the stand-up collar, which I always eliminate because I have a short neck!

If you haven't already started, Abbily's sweater is a good one if you feel comfortable with the cabling aspect.

Rhea
01-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I'm doing mine in the round, possibly a raglan sleeve, what I have read of them, i think i understand their general idea and i think i can pull it off.

I think it will have a basket stitch band around the chest because i dont want it to be too boring to knit up all the way but i want it all to be one color.

Right now I am did a few inches of stockingette then an inch of 2x2 rib (Because i wanted it to roll at the bottom but not TOO much) and now I am back to stockingette and am just working my way up and up. I am making it big and cozy warm so it's taking a while but its easy to do in front of the TV so I am making good progress.

Abbily
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Actually, aside from the 6 or so inches I've already knit on this sweater, I have neither cable experience nor chart experience. But, I have an adventurous spirit, and the sweater is going really well. :) The color coding idea is a great one, just to keep from straining my eyes! I have only done one cable wrong, and it was purl stitches crossed over knit stitches and looked terrible! So, I took the stitches down 3 rows and recrossed the cable. I think I'm going to leave off the turtle neck, as I too have a short neck. :P Also, I live in central Texas, where it doesn't really get cold enough to warrant turtlenecks...

I'm flying to Portland, OR this weekend, and I'm so looking forward to all my knitting time on the plane!

Rhea
01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Yay, i am so excited or us!

So what made you all want to start your first sweater?

For me, my inspiration was an outlandish electric bill. Now my mom says we have to turn all the heaters down and I am really sensitive to cold. Right now i am bundled up in two long sleeve shirts and a jacket and socks in slippers. Inside my own home!

So i wanted to invest in a notoriously warm wool sweater. This is the first time i have really indulged myself in nice yarn too so i am excited about that. I got a whole bunch of Wool-Ease (on sale! the gods are shining on me to make this sweater) It is a lovely deep forest green and is totally washable and wool warm.

I can't wait to cozy up in it.

You?

Abbily
01-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Sounds like beautiful yarn, I can't wait to see your progress!

I have always wanted to knit a sweater, I've just been looking for 'the right one'. I finally found it, and jumped right in! :) My grandma knit for most of her life, and was always knitting me beautiful sweaters, and several for my kids as well. She passed on in June, but I'm keeping up the tradition. :)

Abbily
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Here's my progress so far on my cabled sweater:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/christmas029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/christmas030.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! Abbilly, I am totally inspired! Wonderful work, but besides that, the perfect color!!! WOW! :passedout:

Abbily
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Artlady, thanks! :) I love this yarn, it's just gorgeous.

heykaren
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Holy cow Abbily!!!!! That is amazing!!!!!!!:woot: I really liked the pattern, so I printed it off, and got dizzy trying to read it!!!:aww: So I think Im going to pass on it for now. Are each of those Double rib twists like little cables? I wanted to make the back plain, without the cables you see on the front, but trying to mess with the pattern made my head spin.

I can`t wait to see your progress - and I think you are VERY brave!!!! :woohoo: for you!!!!!

Karen

Rhea
01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Those cables are so beautiful! I adore cables. You have inspired me, my next sweater will be cables.

I am really likeing this "design as you go" thing i an doing with my sweater. I am just working right along and it seems like it will be done before i know it. I am just LOVING it.

I think i am hooked on sweaters. I see a very warm future for me and my loved ones. Hahaha.

I'll try and get some pictures up of my work so far (although it is still quite plain) but i have to use my boyfriends phone to take the picture.

Keep on knitting!

Abbily
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Karen, it's honestly not as hard as it looks! :) I always get dizzy reading patterns, but they make way more sense on the needles. Yup, the double rib twists are tiny 1x1 cables.

Rhea, I can't wait to see your progress!

I seem to have misplaced my camera... but as soon as I find it, I'll post another pic. I've nearly finished the back (first) panel! :)

Sunshine's Mom
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi, everyone. Abbily told me about your knit-along so I thought I'd take a look. I'm doing my first sweater even though I've been knitting for about 2 years now. Since all my socks went so well for Christmas and I'm done with projects for others I thought now was the perfect time for a sweater adventure. And the fact that my mom got me a gift card to Michael's for Christmas so all the yarn was free (to me) for the sweater. Got to love Mom!:cheering:

I'm knitting the Extra Easy, Extra Fabulous Sweater from Lion Brand (Wool-ease Thick & Quick) in wheat. http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70517AD.html

It's gone very well so far. I received some great help from everyone here in the "How-To" posts (including Abbily) and now I'm finishing up the right front body shaping. What's truly great is that I started the sweater on Sunday and will probably have it done by this weekend. I'm nervous about the seaming of the sides and arms when the knitting is complete but "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

Now, I've got find me some buttons!!:)

Abbily, your cables are awesome! I made a cabled scarf for my first stab at them and they are not that hard once you get the hang of it. It's just all the reading and re-reading of the pattern that drives you a bit bonkers, right? It's very time consuming. Keep up the great work.:yay:

susan50
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Is it too late to join this Kal. I really want to knit my first sweater.

Thank you
Susan

ArtLady1981
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi SunshinesMom! :waving:

When you seam your sweater, use the mattress stitch seam (video clip available here at KH) and use DMC Pearl Cotton for the seaming thread. Don't use your heavy thick & quick sweater yarn for the seaming. Craft and fabric stores sell the Pearl Cotton in a variety of colors, and you can get it online, too. It is all I use for seaming.
Fast, slick, strong and cheap!

Good luck!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Is it too late to join this Kal. I really want to knit my first sweater.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan! :waving:

Nope, not too late. Never too late! :happydance:

Have you selected a sweater pattern?

If not, could I recommend something for a 1st sweater:
1) a pullover
2) with dropped shoulders
LikeTHIS (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Oat+Couture+Leaflet+GU406+%2D +Port+Orford+Pullover&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=3#)

Depending on how comfortable you are with intarsia, cables, and other visual niceties...keep your sweater pattern as simple as possible. It is hard to be tussling with sweater design on top of other "new stuff".

And #3: Follow the pattern carefully for your 1st sweater. Don't try to tweak the directions. Don't knit in-the-round to avoid seaming, unless the pattern says to knit in-the-round. Changing/tweaking sweater directions is sometimes just trading one problem for another bigger problem. When you are new to sweater knitting, you can't forsee the problems that you can create for yourself by changing the pattern around.

Let us know what pattern you decide on! :happydance:

Knit on, Good Woman! :knitting:

Sunshine's Mom
01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Is that the same thing as "cotton floss"? Or is DMC Pearl Cotton something different?

And - - thanks for the tip. I was going to use the thick & quick to seam. But, now I know better!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Is that the same thing as "cotton floss"? Or is DMC Pearl Cotton something different?

And - - thanks for the tip. I was going to use the thick & quick to seam. But, now I know better!

No, it isn't the usual DMC floss used for crosstitching, etc.

It is heavier, and basically single-ply. HERE (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2706&PRODID=prd2582&source=search) is a link to it at Joann's online site.

One skein of it will seam numerous sweaters. I keep neutral colors on hand: lt grey, dk grey, cream, white, black, brown. But I will go get red, pink, lt blue, navy, etc. when I need it.

It is also good for sewing on buttons!

susan50
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Susan! :waving:

Nope, not too late. Never too late! :happydance:

Have you selected a sweater pattern?

If not, could I recommend something for a 1st sweater:
1) a pullover
2) with dropped shoulders
LikeTHIS (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Oat+Couture+Leaflet+GU406+%2D +Port+Orford+Pullover&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=3#)

Depending on how comfortable you are with intarsia, cables, and other visual niceties...keep your sweater pattern as simple as possible. It is hard to be tussling with sweater design on top of other "new stuff".

And #3: Follow the pattern carefully for your 1st sweater. Don't try to tweak the directions. Don't knit in-the-round to avoid seaming, unless the pattern says to knit in-the-round. Changing/tweaking sweater directions is sometimes just trading one problem for another bigger problem. When you are new to sweater knitting, you can't forsee the problems that you can create for yourself by changing the pattern around.

Let us know what pattern you decide on! :happydance:

Knit on, Good Woman! :knitting:
Thank you so very much....I just bought that sweater pattern that you suggested, I love it and already have the yarn too. I am going to start on it as soon as I get off here.

Again thank you
Susan

Abbily
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Sunshine's mom, I can't wait to see your sweater! Yup, cables are pretty easy, just fiddly with all the chart reading. :)

Susan, welcome! I love that sweater pattern, and I can't wait to see your progress!

I would love to post another picture of my sweater progress, but sadly I left my camera in Portland with my best friend. Hopefully someday soon it will make its way home again. :)

knit2btied
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm getting ready to dive in here too. My first attempt at ordering yarn didn't go well as DD didn't like the color that arrived. My second attempt was made earlier today, and I should be casting on in a week or so!

Too bad I didn't finish reading through these posts before I did that and find out that even ArtLady had some trouble with Tempting, which is what I promised DD!!

Fingers crossed here!

Abbily, I love the cables!

ArtLady1981
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm getting ready to dive in here too. My first attempt at ordering yarn didn't go well as DD didn't like the color that arrived. My second attempt was made earlier today, and I should be casting on in a week or so!

Too bad I didn't finish reading through these posts before I did that and find out that even ArtLady had some trouble with Tempting, which is what I promised DD!!

Fingers crossed here!

Abbily, I love the cables!

Hi knit! :waving:

I don't think Tempting is a good pattern for a 1st sweater. It is so tricky. The directions could be more complete...but then again, it is a free pattern. They may be limited to a certain amount of space. Or, they may assume we know more than we do, or that we have more experience with that style.

It is a lovely pattern, and my DD loves it! In the end...it was worth the time and effort.

If I were teaching a class, that might be different. I would be "on hand" to explain the concepts, and help the students through the tough parts.

It is hard to teach oneself, even for me.

Abbily
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi knit2betied, welcome to the KAL! I'm sure you'll manage Tempting, we're always around to help. :) Thanks for the compliment on my cables- I've put that sweater off to the side for a bit to work on other projects, but I really need to get back to it!

knit2btied
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi ArtLady,

I believe you! I feel stuck, though, since DD has enthusiastically agreed to this pattern and yarn ordered etc. I hope I don't wind up having to cast it aside and making a different sweater to learn what needs to be known to finish it! LOL

On the bright side, it doesn't have long sleeves.. (daughter is really long-armed) Can't think where she gets that from... certainly not from me!

knit2btied
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Abbily! Thank you! I hope you do get back to your cables soon! Can't wait to watch it develop.

knit2btied
02-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Susan, How is your sweater progressing? Rhea? Everyone is so quiet must be knitting up a storm... :teehee:

Are you working on another sweater too, ArtLady?

knit2btied
02-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Okay, I'm cheating just a little. I'm making a baby sweater first. I have the back and one front piece finished... Sure is faster than I anticipate the adult sweater being!

Abbily
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow, good for you! Where are the pictures? :)

I'm actually about to cast on a couple of baby sweaters, just because I have 3 babies to knit for suddenly. Meanwhile, here's a pic of my progress so far on my cabled sweater.... still working on the back panel, but nearly done... then I still have to do the front and two sleeves... EEK! :)

I took this pic with my camera phone just now, and the color doesn't show at all! So, you can see the cables, but refer to my previous picture for the color. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/sweater.jpg

knit2btied
02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
At least your camera phone shows the detailing very nicely! Those cables look beautiful. I just love them! Good work!

My sweater body is on the blocking board, and I'm getting ready to CO the sleeves! Will show a photo when the blocking gets dry.

knit2btied
02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Here is an unplanned WIP. My baby blanket had too much yarn, and so here are some parts of the matching sweater! I just finished the sleeves and I'm ready to block them.

These are lemon yellow from Bernat softee baby using a pattern from Creative Knitting, March 2008 page 65.

Abbily
02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Looking good! Don't forget to post FO pictures for us! :)

I cast on this (http://www.knitwits-heaven.com/pretty_baby_sweater.htm) sweater last night, but only have about 23 rows done so far. Not a lot of knitting time on my hands... :(

ArtLady1981
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Abbily! :waving: Your work is fabulous! Makes me get the itch to start another cabled project!!

I'm working with solid colors right now, and simple patterns for two of my granddaughters.

I also started the "Something Red" cardigan (a Ravelry pattern) with a variegated yarn that I bought last week at a fiber festival! :pout: Knitting with variegated yarns, sometimes intricate pattern stitches get lost!
So this Something Red pattern is st st throughout. My DH commented that he like the colorway! It is more cocoa/tans-browns, then secondary colors are plum, rose, gold and cream.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2247/2265478657_978e7d11f2_m.jpg

knit2btied
02-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Looking good! Don't forget to post FO pictures for us! :)

I cast on this (http://www.knitwits-heaven.com/pretty_baby_sweater.htm) sweater last night, but only have about 23 rows done so far. Not a lot of knitting time on my hands... :(

Oh that is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it unfold!

Abbily
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I like it so far. :) I'm going to a concert tonight, but have to get there really early to get parking, so I'll probably get a lot of work done on it tonight. :) I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

Artlady, that yarn is gorgeous!

Abbily
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Well, here's the baby sweater so far. It's knit from top down in one piece, but the sleeves are knit flat. I couldn't think of a good reason to do that, so I'm doing them in the round ML. Hopefully it will all work out. Apparently I'm nuts, modifying the pattern on my first sweater... but hey, that's me. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/babysweater.jpg

knit2btied
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
That is going to be beautiful! Smart move making one in the round... It's really hard to see the stitches on fine yarn to learn this mattress stitch stuff!

knit2btied
02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
While waiting for the baby sweater to block, I cast on my tempting sweater for DD. I love working with the yarn! It's Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in wine colorway.

Abbily
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Looks like you're doing great! What a lovely color!

Here's my weekend work: One baby sweater completed, one started. I need to finish the blue one and then make another blue one, then I'll be done with the baby things for the moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/babysweater-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/bluesweater.jpg

knit2btied
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
OMG You are doing terrific! Wish my baby sweater was done! I'll have to look for top down patterns next time, I think! LOL

Abbily
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, top down was really the only criteria I used when perusing patterns. :) I'm messing around with the pattern for the blue sweaters, though... we'll see how this one comes out. The original pattern has hearts on it (in purl stitches, not color work) but since these are for boys, I charted out stars instead. We'll see if I can successfully make the change. :)

knit2btied
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow! That's impressive! Hope it comes out okay. Be waiting to see the FO.

I'm trying to see to sew arms on my baby sweater. Can't find a bright enough light...

knit2btied
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Here is my FO baby sweater! (Finally)

knit2btied
02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Oops lets try again...

Abbily
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
That's awesome! You did a great job on that!

knit2btied
02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
How are your sweaters coming? Any more FO baby sweaters?

Abbily
03-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Yup, I finished the 2nd one yesterday. I don't have my camera right now, but I'll try to get some decent pics with my phone and post them later on.

Have you started your Tempting yet?

knit2btied
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow! I can't wait to see your FO! You are moving right along. My Tempting I ran out of yarn! The store is sending me another skein with a matching dye lot so I'm waiting for it. I haven't started the Tempting II except for the gauge swatch.... Socks in the mean-time.

Abbily
03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
That's great that your store has another skein that matches! I can't wait to see pics! :)

I desperately want to start another pair of socks, but I joined the sockamania KAL and the new pattern won't be out till tomorrow or Tuesday, so it seems silly to start a different pattern now...

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 12:45 AM
My you are a busy knitter! Is that one sweater OTN and one more baby sweater and the coming pair of socks?

I got as far as turning the heel on my second sock today...

Abbily
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I have a few projects kind of 'in the wings', like the feather and fan stole that is just hanging out in my knitting basket right now... but yeah, I have a cabled sweater OTN for me, one more baby sweater that I need to cast on, and I want to start some socks. I think I've gotten spoiled by the instant gratification of the baby sweaters... reality will hit when I go back to my cabled sweater! :)

Good job on the sock! I'd love to see pictures. :)

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
You do have quite a few projects! As for pictures, these are just plain Jane-one solid color socks, not much to see! (But warm for the feet!)

Abbily
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Your socks sound wonderful! :) I bet they'll be so comfy!

OK, here's the baby sweater. I still need to put buttons on it... It's hard to see, but I put stars on it in purl stitches. It came out a bit long, I think... more like a jacket than a sweater! Oh well. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Feb005-1.jpg

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Wow! That's fantastic! I like it!

Abbily
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Aww, thanks!

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Did you start your new sock pattern yet?

Abbily
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Nope, but I'm knitting tiny little socks for my nephew-to-be. Just a plain pattern, but they are SO small! I didn't do a guage swatch... so they may end up being way too small. Oh well, they're so tiny and quick that I won't mind frogging and starting over if that turns out to be the case. :)

How are your projects going?

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 01:03 PM
My socks are finished and on my feet! The new skein for Tempting I should arrive today, in the mean-time I'm working on Tempting II.

Can't wait to finish Tempting I and see the finished product on DD. : D

Abbily
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Good for you! I can't wait to see pics of Tempting I! :)

knit2btied
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Here is my tempting sweater done in a Debbie Bliss Aran Cashmerino wine color. Posing with the sweater (We have no ribbon for it yet) is DD.

Abbily
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
GORGEOUS!! You did a really great job on that! I bet your DD loves it! :)

knit2btied
03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks! Yes she does love it. Our town has no gray or black ribbon for it, so that'll have to wait for a trip out of town...

She took it home, and I'll bet it doesn't take her long to locate some kind of ribbon so she can wear it! LOL

How are your two more sweaters coming? Another baby and your cable?

Abbily
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Eh, they are both on hold for now. I finished the tiny baby socks, and now I'm doing the sockamania March socks for me.

How's your Tempting II coming?

knit2btied
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm going slow on purpose so to stay with the group and piddling with socks instead...

I hope you get back to that beautiful cable sweater! Would love to see the little socks.

Abbily
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll get back to it at some point... :) I'll definitely post a pic of the socks if I ever get my camera back. I left it in Portland when I went to visit my best friend, and she hasn't mailed it back yet. That was at the beginning of January! :)

knit2btied
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Hopefully your friend is enjoying it! :teehee: