PDA

View Full Version : mother's day gift ideas?

mdog182
04-26-2007, 12:23 PM
anyone have any ideas for knitted mother's day presents? i was thinking about making my mom an anthropologie inspired capelet but i'm sure if the look is too "young" for my mom......not that she's OLD or anything! haha! and i was also thinking about making her the scarf from knitty's breast cancer awareness issue, the one with the hearts but i want her to be able to use something now and it is getting too hot for scarves.

dustinac
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I am making my mom a sock kit type thing.. she wants to move on from bed slippers but hasn't taken the plunge.. but before I came up with this.. I was going to make her this (http://www.knitpicks.com/Felted+Flower+Rim+Pot_PD50531223.html) from knit picks and add a nice arrangement to it... I had also thought of knitting her a nice lace shawl or a pair of socks.. :teehee:

I'm not sure if the caplet is to young or not.. does she wear things like that? If she does then I would think it would be ok...

You could always knit and felt her a hand bag too..

auburnchick
04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
What about a small handbag or clutch...something for church get-togethers or gatherings with friends?

I also like the shawl idea.

dink
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Because I'm still quite a newbie knitter, I'm planning on making her several different dishcloths. Chances are, she probably will never use them because she won't want to "ruin" them. But, that's what I'm planning on making. Plus, for me, it's cheap on shipping :teehee:

RiverDaughter
04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
A lacy scarf with a cotton or linnen yarn should be cool enough for warm weather, and still look pretty.

mdog182
04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
these are some great ideas guys! now i'm going to have the problem of having too many ideas! :doh: haha

auburnchick
04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
these are some great ideas guys! now i'm going to have the problem of having too many ideas! :doh: haha

Ask and ye shall receive... :teehee:

Why don't you make a couple of things and then choose one? Save the other for a birthday or Christmas.

Julie
04-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm so lucky -- both my mom and my MIL are knitters, so Mother's Day is a great excuse to go yarn shopping :happydance:

PaperGirl
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Im making my MIL a pair of clogs with WotA grass and Bluebonnet

My mommy is getting a fringed scarf in Lion Brand Trellis Rainbow color.

MY DH will be in Europe for Mothers Day. :pout:

LadyB
04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
I knit this (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Apparel/LW1416+Elegant+Cardigan.htm) for my mom. It came together very quickly (it only took me a week) and is soft and lovely. :)
I think my mom's gonna :heart: it. [/url]

PCwombat
04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm making my mom the danica scarf from knitty with patons sws in natural geranium. I know it's going to be summer soon, and all, but it's pretty, and it give me the chance to try entrelac.

mdog182
04-26-2007, 04:43 PM
yeah the more and more i think about it, i might just make her the scarf because i REALLY want to make it and she LOVED it when i made her a basic garter stitch scarf for xmas last year (when i first learned how to knit) so i think she would like a cool, lacy one. the microfiber dishcloths i'm making are for her also. i'm thinking about a booga bag also.....i've been looking at old posts with pictures and everyone's looks so nice.

KnittinMitchie
04-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I've knitted my mom some dishcloths and crocheted her a bag. As for my MIL I think I'm gunna knit here a couple of dishcloths too since they are uber easy.

CarmenIbanez
04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm makin my mom some spa washcloths out of cotton chenille!

TeenKnitter
04-26-2007, 06:09 PM
I have made my mom one dishcloth, and plan to make her maybe two more. And I'll see if I can get her some yarn etc. (She also knits).

Arielluria
04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm making my mom my first pair of socks! Halfway through the 2nd foot now: FO My First Sock (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30856&highlight=)

brokenblossoms
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I want to knit a variation of one of the "Perdita" bracelets from Knitty. :)

Arielluria
04-27-2007, 10:34 AM
I want to knit a variation of one of the "Perdita" bracelets from Knitty. :)I've never heard of it, do you have a link?

carmabelle1191
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I've decided to make my mom a shirt from the Rowan "magazine" called Beach Cool (actually, I didn't decide on it, my mom picked it out :teehee: ). The pattern is "Bardot". I hope I'll get it done by Mother's Day since it's on size 10 1/2 needles, but going to have sparks flying trying to get it done, I'm sure. At first, my mom wanted another shirt, but the LYS didn't have enough of the color she wanted (and it was on size 6 needles) so she picked the Bardot out instead. Just my two-cents! :hug: