PDA

View Full Version : Just curious....

hydeemarie
04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I was curious as to which ssk everyone used!

jimmy bean
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
uh oh! what is the improved ssk?? i should probably know this :)

marykz
04-26-2007, 04:23 PM

LOL- me too- I thought- "there's more than one SSK? no wonder I keep screwing up...."

I'd better go look it up! then I'll vote later....

brendajos
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
It's in the video glossary right under the original ssk.

I voted improved because that is what i used last... but truthfully i do what the pattern says if it specifies and if it doesn't i use whatever pops in my head first and just keep doing it that way. :shrug:

My eyes honestly don't see much of a difference and i think that the original one is a little less ackward to do.

dustinac
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I voted for ssk original.. cause I'm just used to doing it that way and automatically slip knit wise :teehee:

JoeE
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Bummer, SKP wasn't an option. I'm evidently too clutzy to do SSK, but SKP works very well for me.

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
What's an SSK? :shrug:

dustinac
04-26-2007, 08:06 PM

It's a left slanting decrease you can see under Decrease on Amy's videos.. I use it a lot when knitting socks when you get to the gusset and toe part.. but a lot of patterns call for it..

SSK= slip, slip, knit... slip, slip, knit slipped stitches tog (old way) or check brendajos below for new way :rofl:

brendajos
04-26-2007, 08:14 PM

It's a left slanting decrease you can see under Decrease on Amy's videos.. I use it a lot when knitting socks when you get to the gusset and toe part.. but a lot of patterns call for it..

SSK= slip, slip, knit... either you slip the stitches knit wise (old way) or slip them purl wise (new way) :cheering:

Okay i thought i was about to have a :doh: moment... i thought i was doing it wrong all this time and figured that's why i think the improved seems a little clunkier...

but i went looking and found this...

...Slip one stitch as if to knit, slip the next stitch as if to purl, knit the two together through the back loops.

*whew* ;)

dustinac
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
:rofl: :roflhard: it is a good thing I stick to the original then :wall:

BinkyKat
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Totally off this topic...is this "THE" Jimmy Bean??? :cheering:
If so...way cool! I browse your site often!!!

On topic...I haven't used the improved one yet so I voted the regular...but should try to better my skilz..

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I vote for the orignal too because old habbits are hard to break for me. Like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, right? :pout:

suzeeq
04-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Totally off this topic...is this "THE" Jimmy Bean??? :cheering:

Must be, check out the www linky....

sue

misstialouise
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I've always slipped purlwise, unless it says otherwise..

:D

suzeeq
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't like the `improved' version; it twists the second stitch and it doesn't lie flat.

sue

BinkyKat
04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
suzzeq wrote:
Must be, check out the www linky....
I saw that...after i posted :oops: :teehee:
I'm impressed by knitting celebs! :teehee:

SandraEllen
04-27-2007, 09:31 AM
i always used to use the "improved" ssk, but found that it doesn't really look improved. so now i just do whichever i remember for that project.
i think lately i've been using the old school one.

Limey
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi

Being a firm believer in K.I.S.S., I'll stick with the original - the one I'm used to.

Limey

"All this time their knitting goes on with unremitting speed. They sit rocking to and fro like so many weird wizards. They burn no candle, but knit by the light of the peat fire."

The Rural Life of England, William Howitt, 1844

(No change there, then)

dreamsherl
04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
I was taught to slip one knit wise and the other purl wise then knit the two together. I that new or old. xxx