PDA

View Full Version : FO- Its Not Knitting Its Needles

kblue
04-26-2007, 11:49 PM
So i altered my clover bamboo needles to have more of a point and in doing so i was inspired to try making my own wooden circular needles. Found some info online and i think they turned out pretty good. Very smooth and i like the green too even though it wasent a choice thats what they had. Its made from a wooden dowel you can buy at craft stores and weed wacker cord stuff (weed eater). These needles are US 13 and its 24 inches. Its cool because with 1 dowel i can make 4 sets of circulars in all different lengths.

jeanius80
04-27-2007, 01:46 AM
thats great! you should share the site that you learned that from!.... :happydance:

wewantmore
04-27-2007, 06:28 AM
:eyebrow: Yes I'd love to know the site for the instrustions.

Michelle

dewdrops
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Cool! :cheering:

mwedzi
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Cool! Have you given them a test run, yet?

Guin
04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Let us know how they are and please share the link of where you learned to do this.

Abbily
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow! That's really cool! I would really like to sharpen up my bamboo needles, too...

sara_jayne
04-27-2007, 10:19 AM
How cool! I love that you used "weed wacker stuff" as the cords! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

kblue
04-27-2007, 01:11 PM
so i did a test run with them and they work great...Yippie!!! :happydance: you just need to make sure you use a very fine grade sandpaper to smooth it over at the end. I guess i could also put a finish on it to seal it but i'm not good with stains and polishes...why risk messing up a good thing :teehee: This is the website i found and every other website brought me back to this same one.

http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/061109_a.asp

To make the point i just used a pencil sharpener but i think for very small one and very large ones you might actually have to sharpen it by hand. It looks hard but its really easy :wink: Amy's video on how to make your own wood needles also helped...Thanks Amy :waving:

marykz
04-27-2007, 07:46 PM
awsome. how did you get the cord to stick in?! that is VERY cool, and I love the DIY aspect....

ae
04-27-2007, 08:34 PM
those are great! what a good idea.

Yarnlady
04-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I guess i could also put a finish on it to seal it but i'm not good with stains and polishes...Try using wax paper. Rub it on very quickly and the friction causes the little bit of wax to melt and be applied to the needles. Smooths and "speeds" them up a bit. Can be repeated whenever necessary.

kblue
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Try using wax paper. Rub it on very quickly and the friction causes the little bit of wax to melt and be applied to the needles. Smooths and "speeds" them up a bit. Can be repeated whenever necessary.

I've never though of that before. That sound more do-able for me :teehee:

awsome. how did you get the cord to stick in?! that is VERY cool, and I love the DIY aspect....
To get the cord in you have to drill a hole in the dowel. This was the step that made me think...humm maybe i shouldn't to this...But then i gave it a go and it turned out ok in the end. You just need to make sure the drill bit is the same size as the cord. I love love love DIY kinda things :heart: